Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4-On the Fence Killer App?  (Read 1098 times)

Description:

Offline JeffTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
OS4-On the Fence Killer App?
« on: May 10, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
I have limited experience with OS4. I am considering a Sam system. As I understand it this isn't the best way to go for the older "Classic" software as it would be run under emulation anyway. Newer native OS4 software is probably still somewhat limited.

Other than the thrill of owning and installing the latest Amiga OS are there any "Killer Apps" that make OS4 a must have, or are there any being worked on? I guess what I am asking to those that already own these systems is what do you actually use them for that you can't do on WinUAE, OSX, Linux, Windows, or some other solution? I'm just gathering information and opinions not trying to start a :flame:

Thanks,
-Jeff

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
Re: OS4-On the Fence Killer App?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »

Jeff wrote:
I have limited experience with OS4. I am considering a Sam system. As I understand it this isn't the best way to go for the older "Classic" software as it would be run under emulation anyway. Newer native OS4 software is probably still somewhat limited.

Other than the thrill of owning and installing the latest Amiga OS are there any "Killer Apps" that make OS4 a must have, or are there any being worked on? I guess what I am asking to those that already own these systems is what do you actually use them for that you can't do on WinUAE, OSX, Linux, Windows, or some other solution? I'm just gathering information and opinions not trying to start a :flame:

Thanks,
-Jeff

I have a nice idea of the spreadsheet app, yet coming from my OSX plans shortly before iWork Numbers release.  What I mean is a total madness and help me God, I'm gonna write it for Amiga exclusively.  As long as I have any system under my Mini.

Well if you think it's silly, hey, just another Amiga app then :-) Done by Me (TM)
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 06:03:52 PM »
Rather than look for a killer app, tell us what you want to do with OS4 and we'll tell you what your current software options are.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
I'm an Amiga collector from WAY back. I still have lots of classic systems. I only just recently sold both of my PPC cards and I was entertaining the thought of filling the gap with a new SAM Flex board. I would probably already ordered one but you can't get them right now it seems.

Just thinking about it though it's going to be close to $1000.00 investment before the new system is actually running. I know you can't really fairly compare but that's enough money for a lot more horsepower on almost any other platform. Other than the thrill of owning, supporting, and playing with the latest AmigaOS I was just wondering what others motivations were for owning these high end Amiga systems. I'm just thinking out loud. Thanks Again,
-Jeff

BTW I really did like OS 4 Classic for the short time I used it. I did feel like it could have used a bit more power than a CS-PPC can offer though. The SAM would seem to fill that gap pretty well and it looks like it has a better chance for OS updates than classic OS4 does.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 01:58:40 AM »
@Jeff

OS4.1 here ... I use my system every day.  I don't think there is a "killer app" yet, but several people are working on software applications.

I started out with a Commodore A2000HD with AmigaOS 1.3.  Later upgraded to AmigaOS 3.1.  I did not have an accelerator card, so it was a stock 68000 CPU, running at 7.14 MHz clock speed.  I added some more system RAM, a second SCSI hard drive, a SCSI CD-ROM drive and a MicroWay FlickerFixer card.

Since I was using the original 68000 CPU, I could not run software which required a 68020 or greater CPU.

When I purchased my OS4 system, I went straight from AmigaOS 3.1 with no bells and whistles to AmigaOS4, which incorporated many ideas from OS3.5 and OS3.9.  So I had a very pleasant experience seeing themes and preferences that I had never seen before.

Over the past 4 and a half years, I have added 68K software which I could never have used on my old system without an accelerator card.  Of course, I have also added PPC software as well.

Presently running OS4.1 with a mixture of PPC software and 68K software:
NetSurf, OWB 3.12, AWebPPC, IBrowse, WookieChat, SimpleMail, YAM, Final Writer 97, Personal Paint, TVPaint, Real3D, KingCON, WarpView, DvPlayer, AmigaAMP, AmiDVD, MakeCD.

Some of my old 68K programs (not listed above) require OS 3.1 or the classic Amiga chipset.  I run the AmigaOS4PPC version of E-UAE to provide the right conditions for these old programs.  E-UAE opens up an OS 3.1 Workbench ontop of my OS4 Workbench and then I am able to run those old programs (for example Shanghai game, Amiga Appetizer package and MicroFiche Filer).

---
redfox

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
@Jeff

I forgot to mention that, strictly speaking, most of the 68K programs I have accumuated since I upgraded to OS4 would probably work just fine on WinUAE.  Of course, the PPC programs would not.

Strictly speaking, all my internet actiivities, web browsing, listening to music, chat, and word processing activities, all have their equivalents on our Windows pc and our Windows laptop.

But that is not the point.  I enjoy doing things the "amiga" way.  ;-)

My OS4 system boots up and I am surfing on the internet before Windows XP has even loaded on the laptop.

---
redfox

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 02:39:04 AM »
@Jeff

If you want to see the "Killer Apps" that OS4 runs, look into the archives at OS4Depot.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:46:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I can't wait until AmigaKit gets another shipment of the Flex boards. Is there any updates on the graphics glitch that someone reported with both DIMM slots occupied on the 800mhz Flex board?

Thanks Again,
-Jeff