Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wither Natami?  (Read 13848 times)

Description:

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Re: Wither Natami?
« Reply #359 from previous page: August 10, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »

Atheist wrote:
It's ironic that Switzerland ISN'T in the EU.

Not really ... who controls most of the money in Europe anyway?

You got it ... Switzerland. They can and probably already said "Shove your EU! Try and force us in and opp!, we lost your privately numbered Swiss account with all those millions" lol
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline shoggoth

• Show only replies by shoggoth
« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »

Atheist wrote:
Yes, I don't like it because it wasn't originally implemented, so I guess it wasn't critical to have.

That was true when applications and operating systems had a small footprint.
Today it's imperative if you want to be sure that your system doesn't crash due to some bug (or other side effect) caused by something outside of your control.

Use your sense of logic, Atheist. They didn't invent this concept because it was stupid, inefficient or useless.

Also, MP slows a system down, and with the pathetic speed we have available to us as it is, we need every cycle we can get.

I disagree. We're talking about a negligible slowdown, hardly noticeable. If you have figures to back your statement up, please give them here. I can benchmark this stuff on a 68060-based machine here if needed, but let's how I don't need to.

ALSO, isn't it true that most SW would need to be recompiled if AOS went MP?

It is. The discussion was not about that however. No offence, but you give people the impression that you have no idea what memory protection and multi-user setups is all about, yet you seem to have a deeply rooted need to bash it. Of course, I may be wrong, in such case please accept my humble apologies.

Doesn't MOS (and possibly AROS? Don't know about AOS4...) offer some degree of memory protection? Can't MOS run applications in different sandboxes depending on their implementation (MP-aware vs. legacy).

Are you a coder by any chance, Atheist?

You got access to all the source code of all the AOS sw out there for that to be done?

Again, we're talking about the *concept* of memory protection, and why it's an essential in a modern context. I'm not bashing AOS in any way, since I've been fascinated by it from day one.

In addition to all of that, who's rewriting AOS3.1 to use MP anyhow?

Dude, that wasn't the point.

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #361 on: August 10, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »

shoggoth wrote:

Atheist wrote:

Although, I may have had an older version of TOS that didn't have it yet, and I was using it casually and only for a couple of days.

Can the OS be completely copied over, and a reboot done with then the system disk not being accessed anymore like on Amiga?

TOS doesn't have a ramdisk. Later incarnations of the OS are disk based and does have a ramdisk (/ram/). You can't boot from it though, if that's what you mean.

That said, I wouldn't rule out the possible existence of a bootable RAM-disk, since the system in theory supports it.

Hi shoggoth,

So to be clear, of all OSs, only Amiga and Atari/TOS have a RAD: that can be booted off of and be independent of external media?

I thought only Amiga has a true RAD:.

No matter, the Amiga "mix" is still unique, valid, and capable of giving superior performance and allowing for unique abilities to be granted to users.

If it weren't the case, I'd close down my membership here at Amiga.Org and get whatever mac/windros/linux system was the best.

In my case it would be xp ONLY because of game availability.

If all windross games were available on Amiga, I would toss x86 in the garbage can as it's utterly frustrating and totally useless to me.
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2008, 06:49:19 PM »

shoggoth wrote:

Atheist wrote:
Yes, I don't like it because it wasn't originally implemented, so I guess it wasn't critical to have.

That was true when applications and operating systems had a small footprint.

Hi shoggoth,

Last time I checked, AOS IS a small footprint operating system to this day!

Are applications on Amiga still small foot print? Well, gee, it's all relative, so, like IBrowse's ~3 megs vs. FF2's 60+ Megs, gee, I wonder???? /Scratches head

Today it's imperative if you want to be sure that your system doesn't crash due to some bug (or other side effect) caused by something outside of your control.

Those Neanderthals of 1986-1994 weren't concerned of such things I suppose?

MP doesn't make it impossible for those things to happen anyway. The need is for programming to BECOME SIMPLER so that less mistakes can happen in the first place.
Use your sense of logic, Atheist. They didn't invent this concept because it was stupid, inefficient or useless.

I can understand that, I also understand that it WAS done without at one time as well.

Well, we lived without medicine as well, but that's not something I'd advocate, even though 93% of the world's population doesn't have access to it, or at least way sub par when they do.

Also, MP slows a system down, and with the pathetic speed we have available to us as it is, we need every cycle we can get.

I disagree. We're talking about a negligible slowdown, hardly noticeable. If you have figures to back your statement up, please give them here. I can benchmark this stuff on a 68060-based machine here if needed, but let's how I don't need to.

Sorry, I do not have stats, nor can I generate them, but we're up against CPUs that are 50 and more times faster than the fastest we can get, so it all counts.

ALSO, isn't it true that most SW would need to be recompiled if AOS went MP?

It is. The discussion was not about that however. No offence, but you give people the impression that you have no idea what memory protection and multi-user setups is all about, yet you seem to have a deeply rooted need to bash it. Of course, I may be wrong, in such case please accept my humble apologies.

I bash because it's unnecessary overhead. It's an obstacle. It's clutter. It's bloat. Can we have ONE SIMPLE OS please??? Others are available if this one doesn't meet your needs.

Seriously, is that "The Law"?

EVERY SINGLE OS that is buyable by the consumer must have:
1. multiuser logins
2. virtual memory/swap space
3. memory protection

Doesn't MOS (and possibly AROS? Don't know about AOS4...) offer some degree of memory protection? Can't MOS run applications in different sandboxes depending on their implementation (MP-aware vs. legacy).

Yes, and how many AOS programs run on AROS? Answer, none, because they can't without recompiling, and it doesn't even have anything to do with MP. That dilemma is on top of that problem.

Are you a coder by any chance, Atheist?

I am limited to the ability of being able to use AMOS Professional. It's insanely easy to use and understand.

This includes Truebasic, Blitzbasic and Hollywood not exactly being standard (as I see it) are hard to use.

C is impossible for me to understand. I can't cope with being forced to define my variables before I use them. There are many, many complications that are subtle and too mind bending for me.

I've written ADOS scripts, only very basic programs. It's very, very, very powerful (and single commands are lightning fast, too), but NOT EASY to understand. Tons more documentation is needed.

You got access to all the source code of all the AOS sw out there for that to be done?

Again, we're talking about the *concept* of memory protection, and why it's an essential in a modern context. I'm not bashing AOS in any way, since I've been fascinated by it from day one.

Well, AOS last I checked (as I mentioned above), gets smaller and smaller foot print wise by the day, compared to the gargantuan behemoths the competition has become, and yet we just want the mouse to scroll across the screen so we can double click.

In addition to all of that, who's rewriting AOS3.1 to use MP anyhow?

Dude, that wasn't the point.

Oh, then please disregard my statements.
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
If it weren't the case, I'd close down my membership here at Amiga.Org

It isn't the case.

Here's hoping...

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #364 on: August 10, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »
Not to derail the thread any further, but:

@ bloodline,
Well at least the British, and Australians drive on the correct side of the road... How you lot all managed to get it wrong, I'll never know!!!

What? Are you nuts? :-D

Speaking as an American who has actually driven on British roads, I'm surprised your nation hasn't perished in one gigantic traffic accident!

And don't even get me started on London's Congestion Fee Scam.

Seriously, though, I do have to compliment the Brits for how they drive: while I was in the fast lane, no one ever passed me, even when I was going too slow. Over here in the states, it's a free-for-all. Oi!

Ed.
Ed.

Offline shoggoth

• Show only replies by shoggoth
« Reply #365 on: August 11, 2008, 10:45:08 AM »

Atheist wrote:
Those Neanderthals of 1986-1994 weren't concerned of such things I suppose?

Get real, Atheist. I never claimed that these people were Neanderthals. The discussion was about the *concept* of multitasking, something you constantly mix up with AOS bashing (which it's not).

They designed an efficient OS for a CPU which didn't have the mechanisms necessary to achieve memory protection, or they choose not to implement it since it would break other aspects of the OS.

MP doesn't make it impossible for those things to happen anyway.

No, but it's about a zillion times safer than the alternative.

The need is for programming to BECOME SIMPLER so that less mistakes can happen in the first place.

Ok, so instead of designing crash proof operating systems, we should hope for better applications?

Well, we lived without medicine as well, but that's not something I'd advocate, even though 93% of the world's population doesn't have access to it, or at least way sub par when they do.

lol :)

Sorry, I do not have stats, nor can I generate them, but we're up against CPUs that are 50 and more times faster than the fastest we can get, so it all counts.

Well, you're looking for bottlenecks in the wrong places.

I bash because it's unnecessary overhead. It's an obstacle. It's clutter. It's bloat. Can we have ONE SIMPLE OS please??? Others are available if this one doesn't meet your needs.

Again, the discussion was about the *concept* of memory protection, not whether or not AOS is a capable alternative (which it sure is).

Multiuser-capabilities doesn't in itself doesn't constitute any overhead, nor does memory protection in practice. This is not bloat, clutter nor obstacles. You just don't like this stuff since their existence would implicate that AOS actually *lacks* something.

Seriously, is that "The Law"?

EVERY SINGLE OS that is buyable by the consumer must have:
1. multiuser logins
2. virtual memory/swap space
3. memory protection

No, I totally agree that there is no reason for all this to be "The Law". There are strengths and weaknesses in every solution, and today people are so focused on unix-ish solutions that they seem to forget that there are other ways to do things as well.

Having said that, the features you list was invented for good reasons, and they don't constitute bloat or performance penalties.

This is way off topic, and it's getting nowhere...

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #366 on: August 11, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
Talking of the crazy europeans and the olympics.  you really couldnt make this stuff up.

Click here
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #367 on: August 11, 2008, 12:04:47 PM »

JJ wrote:
Talking of the crazy europeans and the olympics.  you really couldnt make this stuff up.

Click here

I feel so proud to be European :roll:

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #368 on: August 11, 2008, 12:32:53 PM »
bloodline wrote:

But remember, you're not European... nor we, true europeans  want the likes of you to be either... ;-)

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #369 on: August 11, 2008, 12:38:32 PM »

pixie wrote:
bloodline wrote:

But remember, you're not European... nor we, true europeans  want the likes of you to be either... ;-)

:lol:

Remember I'm British by the accident of my birth, not through choice... If I could choose I'd go for German... I perfer the food and music and woman...

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #370 on: August 11, 2008, 12:49:42 PM »
I have spent quite a bit of time recently with work in cologne, love the place, the people etc

And they totally get british humour in cologne.  thye all seem to be big fans of  the holy grail and life of brian etc and they understand sarcasm and everything.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #371 on: August 11, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »
HI all
I just read up on this monumental thread, tried to understand the implications of the important issues for the future that was discussed. And almost fell of the chair of laughter then the thread went off topic straight into lunar orbit.

I must share this with you. I looked at the SF movie Casshern yesterday. And believe my surprise then there was a character in it named, yes Midori. And listen to this, she said; Nobody is always right, and nobody is always wrong. The answer is co existence, don’t give up, end the war.

I have been involved in long term projects and sometimes you just get tired. Then you have to step away from it and look from above and try to see what we have really got. And from my returning enthusiast perspective I can see a whole lot. There could have been absolutely nothing after the original models. But here we are at 2008 and it still lingers. And I agree with the unwritten future posts in this thread.
If you deeply knowledgeable people could get a normal user perspective on AROS the browser will be a world of difference. Reach out a hand to the normal user that does not know what’s under the hood. Then you get users, then the buzz, then more developers.

If the future goes toward vm machines so programs can be OS independent, then why not using an AMIGA environment that you like to choose those programs from. I will post a question about this in a new thread: VMWARE on AROS, could it be done??
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid