Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Silicon Graphics support  (Read 2840 times)

Description:

Offline meerschaum

• Show all replies
Re: Silicon Graphics support
« on: August 07, 2003, 10:55:32 AM »
SGI's are out dated and Linux is taking over most production houses... the current generation SGI workstations reflect the companies skeleton of what it used to be...dual/quad xeons and MP-Athlons stomp on SGI's highest workstation offerings in everything except I/O and with Athlon-64's comming out ... the future is even more dim... in short... sgi's are going out the window at most production houses in favor of Linux machines ... Softimage|XSI (runs on linux) Softimage|3D 4.0 (runs on Linux), Maya? (runs on Linux), Luxology even mentioned modo for Linux...so future Lightwave replacement for Linux! yipee... Amazon 2D/3D (run on Linux)... sgi's dont sport much in the way of apps to keep people comming back ...its mostly legacy codebase keeping them alive at all and thats bieng migrated... it's a pity it really is about sgi... they  where wonderful, extremely overpriced systems for their time... but I cant say I'm sad to see them go because Linux will get their apps  and the 'middle end" will thrive in their place.... affordable PC/Mac/Pegasos? workstations with lots of power and plenty of apps...thats what I'd like to see for the future of content creation...not extremely expensive (the point of insanity litterly) systems nobody can afford...and AOS4 on SGI?... that hardware is so freaky and complex I cant imagine it...