Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Back from Amiwest, fun was had.  (Read 6758 times)

Description:

Offline gary_c

• Show all replies
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
Re: Back from Amiwest, fun was had.
« on: August 01, 2003, 07:00:30 AM »
Hey, where's my Genesi USA rank?!?

Uh, doesn't this "Genesi USA" rank idea seem like a big mistake? The ranks are supposed to be (i.e., locigally) based on number of posts, with exceptions being moderators and webmaster -- in other words, rolls connected directly to the forums. It doesn't seem smart to create ranks that not only have nothing to do with the forums, but in fact cause people to question the neutrality of posts, moderation, news posting, etc.  In particular, a rank that's a corporate name, particularly the name of the site host and one of its sponsors, and one often involved in heated discussions directly or through staff or customers, seems really wrong-headed to me.

I think your signature is a more appropriate place for corporate affiliation, if that's something you want to draw attention to.

Of course it's up to you guys to decide these things, but I don't see any upside, and a bunch of possible negatives, in appearance if not in fact.

-- gary_c

Offline gary_c

• Show all replies
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
Re: Back from Amiwest, fun was had.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 05:48:34 PM »
Actually, my thoughts when creating the special ranks (there are also Amiga Inc, Hyperion, and other "ranks") were essentially two-fold

I see your point,  but I still think the signature is the place for company or organization affiliations and other such identifying info. Maybe I'm too rigid, but I think the rank designation should stay forum-related, either number of posts or moderator, etc.

I guess I'm just accustomed to seeing signatures with ID things in them; having a company name as a rank seems like it interferes with the forum system (maybe kind of an anal response   ;-) ), and could be interpreted not as "he's responsible because he's representing the company," but as "he's using his company name to give himself more weight" in these discussions. Just my general reaction, and nothing against you guys, of course, whom I have great respect for personally  :-) .

(Also, it doesn't surprise me that the other XOOP site uses company labels, something almost expected, but not necessarily a good thing.)

-- gary_c