Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Older Bill McEven clip from TechTV  (Read 1928 times)

Description:

Offline -amiga-Topic starter

• Show only replies by -amiga-
Older Bill McEven clip from TechTV
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:05:06 PM »
Sorry www.snakebyte.org.uk about the direct link.

www.snakebyte.org.uk/MPEG-AVI/Amiga/BillTechTV.mpeg
I did not know that Amiga sold 3,000 Software Development Kit's for the Amiga Anywhereâ„¢ system.

EDIT: What is more interesting is the Jay Miner clip that is available on the same web page.
(www.snakebyte.org.uk/33_Gary.htm)

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
Re: Older Bill McEven clip from TechTV
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 10:30:19 PM »
Who's Bill McEven?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline -amiga-Topic starter

• Show only replies by -amiga-
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:33:38 PM »
CEO of Amiga

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:10:55 AM »
Bill McEwen seems like a decent salesman in that clip. Shame he doesn't have anything worth selling at the moment! :roll:
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:13:40 AM »
CEO of Amiga

That's not what I hear.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 07:56:52 AM »
weirdami wrote:

That's not what I hear.

You spelling nazi, you...  :-D
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »

Interesting........I was told about this by my cousins but never saw it.

It was a good clip and AmigaAnywhere was cool.........problem was No one knew what it was and Amiga Anywhere was a dumb name.  Just as is AmigaOS (Imagine Windows being called MicrosoftOS). The correct name is Workbench. Workbench Anywhere and Workbench 4.0

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »
Workbench is just the windowing system if you want to be pedantic. Or is running DirOpus in WB replacement mode not running AmigaOS?

Offline RRunner

• Show only replies by RRunner
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:02 PM »
Hmmm. I thought that was a very good sales pitch. Too bad nothing ever came to be...
-=>The RoadRunner<=-
A2000 030/40Mhz, 8Mb RAM, 1GB HD
AmiKit

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »
@odin

Oh yeah?   then explain why every single Operating system that came with the amiga until 3.5  said:  Workbench 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 2.01 and 3.1 on the package and the disks?  :-)

nuff said.

Its Workbench! Not AmigaOS and before Workbench it was called Intuition (perhaps this may have been the name for the windowing system)

I dont consider DOPUS to be a Workbench replacement one bit.............just as DiskMaster 2 is NOT a Workbench replacement............its simply a file manager. You cant install DOPUS without Workbench and expect to have a FUll Operating system with icons on the desktop and all and have alll applications work for DOPUS. Its just fancy file manager.

Amiga's Disk Operating System (AmigaDOS) is Workbench as a Whole.............thats the way I will always see it

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 06:21:06 PM »
Going back to my developer days:

Kickstart, the ROM Kernal (originally on Disk for the A1000) loaded through something called the Writeable Control Store. SuperKickstart was only on the original A3000 units, and allowed dual booting of 1.3 and 2.0 Workbench/Kickstart and used the A3000's 68030MMU to handle all of that. Kickstart was in ROM on the A500 A2000 and could be added to the A3000.

Workbench (the GUI and disk that boots AmigaDOS).. Workbench contains AmigaDOS and the files to load up Inutition (The GUI)...

I really didn't agree with the change to "AmigaOS" with stuff beyond Workbench 3.x it seemed like everyone was in a "LETS COPY MAC" mode with advertising and the move to PowerPC which I never saw as useful at that stage of things anyway.. Especially since Commodore's next machine would have been based on PA RISC.
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
leirbag28,
Its Workbench! Not AmigaOS and before Workbench it was called Intuition (perhaps this may have been the name for the windowing system)

Workbench and Intuition are not the same thing. Workbench uses Intuition, however. Workbench is a type of program which is known as a "shell".

You might find the first paragraph of this wikipedia article  of interest - apparently you aren't the only person who assumed that because the AmigaOS disk shipped at one time with "Workbench" stamped on it that Workbench was an OS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workbench_%28AmigaOS%29

I dont consider DOPUS to be a Workbench replacement one bit.............just as DiskMaster 2 is NOT a Workbench replacement............its simply a file manager. You cant install DOPUS without Workbench and expect to have a FUll Operating system with icons on the desktop and all and have alll applications work for DOPUS. Its just fancy file manager.

Correct, Dopus is just a fancy file manager. However, unless Dopus uses functions or structures contained in Workbench, it would be possible to use Dopus without Workbench being present. Workbench, although very prevelant, is just another program, like Dopus.

Amiga's Disk Operating System (AmigaDOS) is Workbench as a Whole.............thats the way I will always see it

AmigaDOS and Workbench are not the same thing. However, Workbench uses AmigaDOS. Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:35:13 PM »
@jorkany

THanks for the clear up................but nevertheless...........the bottom line is..............if An OS for the Amiga is to be sold...........it is to be packaged as "Workbench" Just as Windows uses the X-Windows GUI and is called "Windows"

Reason?  because thats what people see when they boot up................Workbench.   And when you turned on the A1000 after insterting the Kickstart disk.................what does the han ask for?    You Got it!  Workbench.  Heck all AMigas ask for: Workbench after the kickstart boot if you have no Harddrive.

So as I said before...........Amigas Operating System is called Workbench.  This argument does not exist on the Mac and PC..........they have Mac OSX and PCs have Windows.

THis type of thing is exatly what is goin to ruin Linux or at least will never allow it to gain enough ground..............because "techies" and "coders" and "Computer Geeks" can't seem to understand that Most people could give a crap about how it works or all the technical explainations why it can or cant do this...........they just want the darn thing to be simple and work, and do what they ask.

Linux needs to STOP coming in so many flavors.........when regular people ask "Why doesnt this program for RedHAt Linux work for Ubuntu?  in which some Unix nut will explain.............."Oh it does work.....you just have to change a few binaries!"    

Well of course.............if your a geek.............but 98% of people dont want to bother with that ridiculousness!

that would be the same to try to explain to people that it is cool to use a Shell instead of a GUI.

imagine OSes without GUI's?   there would be about a billion less computer users in the world.

a GUI was the best invention in the world.  And so...........we need to get past that Workbench is just the windowing system that is actually called Intuition and blah blah blah type of junk.     Workbench IS Amigas OS.

Thats what most former Amigans will remember about their Amiga's OS's name:  Workbench