Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why don't more Amiga sites use Google ads?  (Read 6629 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Why don't more Amiga sites use Google ads?
« on: May 31, 2005, 01:07:10 AM »
This morning, after a month of inactivity, this thread was resurrected by someone (I forget whether ikir or itix) just wanting to bump it to invite trolling based on the Moobunny trolling going on at the moment. That post was removed.

[...Stupid question edited out...]

[Ok, itix explained it. I only saw '. . .' myself]

I then thought to tell everyone about the google adsense problem which was created by at least one member of this site intentionally trying to attack me on a personal level.

I don't claim to understand what the adsense problem really was, but IP spoofing sure doesn't sound very credible to me.

"Bots" just don't go about spoofing IP addresses, even if they did, it's very very hard to spoof the connection these days, mainly because ISN no longer are simple 64k rulers and because of the proper ingres/egres filtering. Certainly it's pretty much impossible to maintain full blown TCP/IP http traffic with blind ip spoofing.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Why don't more Amiga sites use Google ads?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 08:49:49 AM »
I got a note saying that "your account has been terminated for violating our terms of service". It went on to say something about the section for "creating invalid clicks by deceptive means" (which I did not do). The thing is, when Google claims this was occurring, I was literally 600 miles away in New Orleans on business travel and not at my machine (which was on).

This is the thing. I believe they don't blame you personally for this action, but since they have no way of determining who it really is and for what possible purpose, they assume it's you trying to generate income. I believe they did not get the "clicks" from your IP address.

I have written them roughly a dozen times and get three rotating stock answers, including one which says that "explaining to you why you were terminated would disclose proprietary information" (gee, an IP address..)... There is no contact number (that they will answer), there is no one listening, and I'm fairly certain that the big bad Google couldn't care less.

Whatever the reason (someone "helping" or someone maliciously trying to screw you over), google really sucks here for not having proper way of sorting things out.

Whatever it is, it sure sucks. While it could be that someone delibirately did this to hurt your business, it's still just one possibility. Considering the willingness of Amiga users to "vote" in random polls with Amiga selection in them, I wouldn't be surprised to learn someone just tried to "help", without malicious intent.