Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should Old/Classic Amiga Games/Software Be Free?  (Read 1700 times)

Description:

Re: Should Old/Classic Amiga Games/Software Be Free?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 14, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »
Well, personal annoyance with CU aside, that's exactly what I was trying to say.  The important word here is "legal".

Wayne

Offline Orphan264

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 04:02:26 PM »
Speaking as someone who has considerable money invested in Amiga software purchases over the last 18 years, there is a part of me that has a real problem accepting that others would be getting the same software now for free. If I someday go to sell my software, it would be nice to think that SOME pieces are actually worth something to someone, and not that everyone can now get it for free...

Offline CU_AMiGATopic starter

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 04:07:40 PM »

Wayne wrote:
Well, personal annoyance with CU aside, that's exactly what I was trying to say.  The important word here is "legal".

Wayne

Oh yes, of course. I completely agree with that comment.

Regards,
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 04:11:17 PM »

Orphan264 wrote:
Speaking as someone who has considerable money invested in Amiga software purchases over the last 18 years, there is a part of me that has a real problem accepting that others would be getting the same software now for free. If I someday go to sell my software, it would be nice to think that SOME pieces are actually worth something to someone, and not that everyone can now get it for free...

Interesting point, but you have to look at it from the real world perspective.  How much would you expect to get back from selling your copy of Windows 3.1?  

At some point, all outdated software becomes worthless, EXCEPT  in the interest of collectors.  Remember though, a good majority of Amiga games used to do things like "manual protection" which would require you to have the manual in order to play the game.

Wayne

Offline BenShep

• Show only replies by BenShep
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 04:34:10 PM »
Your software retains its value because you still have the physical items to sell - i.e. box, disks, documentation.  

If the software was not available on the Internet I don't think anyone would be paying any more for it.  

Quite the contrary, if emulation was not around I think you'd find interest in the Amiga would all but have died off by now (and affected the prices you would get for your software accordingly).

Something really annoys me about those who want to artifically limit supply for their own benefit. This goes for hardware and software (kickstart ROMs being a good example) - and it has been a destructive force in the amiga community IMO.