Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Updated elf.library for OS4.1 FE available through AmiUpdate  (Read 1210 times)

Description:

Offline nbacheTopic starter

Updated elf.library for OS4.1 FE available through AmiUpdate
« on: January 21, 2024, 03:55:17 PM »
Hyperion Entertainment has released a new version of elf.library. Get it through AmiUpdate.

There's a comprehensive list of fixes in the releasenotes inside the downloaded package (which is installed in SYS:Documentation/ReleaseNotes/ by the AutoInstall).

Best regards,

Niels

Offline utri007

Re: Updated elf.library for OS4.1 FE available through AmiUpdate
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 04:03:08 PM »
What is ELF library and why should I update it?
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline nbacheTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 06:36:39 PM »
I'm no expert, but it has to do with loading programs. Natively compiled programs in OS4.x have the ELF format, and those are handled by this library.

I believe many of the changes made for this version were identified in connection with the work on the latest SDK and compiler versions, which to a great extent went on in public over at Amigans.net.

Elf.library is a very central component in OS4, and you should update it because it's likely to be required for future programs, if they are created with a recent version of the SDK and compiler - at least as I understood it.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline futaura

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 11:06:33 AM »
The updated library fixes many bugs, some of which were reported long ago. There are also various improvements, including (but not limited to) those related to shared/dynamic library/object handling.

It is indeed a critical component of the OS and it won't work/boot without it. For example, DOS uses this library to load all native PowerPC software, when any application or program is opened.

AmiSSL v5 can be updated easier (no errors if it is in use) when the new version of elf.library installed (something which I fixed in advance quite a while ago, so its great that everyone can now at last benefit from it).