Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC  (Read 40234 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
Re: My evening with Commodore USA, LLC
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:19:52 AM »
Nice, I am impressed. This guy knows a thing or two about starting companies. This is what we have needed for 15yrs, someone interested, with money, and business sense.

(obviously) can't please everyone though.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
Well lets say he is successful with this thing and is sincere about buying the IP. AI etc. are pretty much useless, less than useless really they have gotten in the way of others actually developing stuff for the Amiga.

Actual leadership and direction for the Amiga brand
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;612911
... We just need someone to build an actual Amiga of some sort (ie runs MOS/OS4) not a custom PC with pre-installed VICE/UAE emulator :roflmao:

There are many of us that consider Aros to be as much Amiga as MOS/OS4.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:37:10 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;612915
Only Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft have the kind of R&D funds to make a true Amiga 1000 successor to be honest.

May not even be viable with their R&D too :afro:

What you consider to be a true Amiga 1000 successor? or me, or Barry, or Franko? We all have different ideas about what a "true successor" is.

I think that is ok, I respect MOS and others, I would never buy one of them, but its fine if others do.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:02:21 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;612932
No, I mean OS 4 and ANY hardware it runs on.  ...

OS4 wasn't developed by Commodore, or even AI; is was produced under license just like these machines are. Why is OS4 legit and these not?
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »
Quote from: runequester;612935
I'll admit, a fairly decent PC in a case looking almost completely like a C64 does have my interest. It'd be a wicked nice looking thing to sit on a computer table.

Not yet interested in the "amiga" stuff. If they end up with a nice amiga like UI for linux, Id have interest, and I'd at least consider a PC in a replica A1200 or A500 case.

It wont be an amiga, but itd be fun to own.

Anyone who can't do their own case mod would probably want one too.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 03:07:28 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;612941
No, it was developled by the people with a license to do so, instead of this twunt and his attempt to steal it with his worthless "Amiga Workench 5" bullshit.

Hyperion and cusa BOTH have license
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 03:09:20 AM »
OS4 is worth less than anything that actually runs on hardware people have. OS4 runs only on specialized, very expensive and rare hardware. Fine for you if you want to spend tons of money on it.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 03:10:48 AM »
wastrell???? well its better than some of the other stuff youve posted
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 03:11:38 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;612948
You try spellin wrds corkly after 4 pints!

AHHHHH that explains alot.....
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:15:44 AM »

<("dude why is my computer busted")>
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:42 AM »
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;613146
As more than a few of us have been pointing out since the start of this whole affair, our objections aren't to the legality of the thing. I haven't given a crap about who owns the Amiga name since I first got into the Amiga; what I care about is how I see it being applied. It might be legal for C-USA to call a PC in a fancy case an "Amiga," but that doesn't make people's objections that it has nothing to do with the Amiga any less worthy of consideration.

And given that C-USA is using names closer to the actual original Amiga than any "next-gen" company so far ("1000x" and so on, which they haven't even updated on their site from just plain "1000," where other companies have at least done stuff like "AmigaOne,") it'd be nice to see even some kind of acknowledgement for that.

This is interesting to hear, but if he's really all that and a bag of chips, I wish he'd put his weight behind something more original. There's still ground to be broken and niches to be carved out in the computer industry, and if Barry is really as good a businessman as some are making him out to be, he could probably do as well or better with a new product instead of a gussied-up old one. It's an interesting comparison to Tramiel, because he wasn't one to just sit on his laurels and copy the competition's homework. Hell, he was already up and gone by the time Commodore released its first PC compatible. Would that Barry took more of a lesson from that.

I think objections have been noted, your opinion has been considered. Are you seriously considering the opinions of others who are interested in this? Fine it doesn't have anything to do with Amiga, so freaking what, nothing since 1994 really has a direct link to Amiga anyway.

Something truly totally original has no market. And very little chance to be sold for any kind of a reasonable price.  That is were Natami and all the others are going, there is no bussiness sense in that. Where there is possibility is in starting something that has potential and building on that. And that is what Barry Altman seems to want to do.

Seriously, those of you with moral, ethical, whatever obejections to this need to get over it. It doesn't appeal to you fine, don't buy it. It is legal, it is going forward, and there are people interest in it. We don't care if it is a real resurrection of the "amiga" whatever you consider that to be.

Continuing to harp on this stupid "it's not an amiga" crap is ringing so hollow lately.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
Quote from: pwermonger;613159
Something truly original has no market? Before tablets came out, they were totally original and now are a booming business.

There always is something original. Too bad nothing using the Commodore or Amiga names has been since C= went under.

Tablets are just a computer with onscreen keyboard and touchscreen pointing deveice. Original, but not totally original, and not my point.

Releasing a totally new computer platform it very expensive, and difficult and likely to fail. Natami and the others have the deck stacked against them. Not to say that they will fail, but if the a5000, access stuff, boXer and others are any indication...
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:06 PM »
Quote from: Franko;613162
Why are you telling folk to "get over it" folk are entitled to voice their views and opinions just like you do.

Who are this "We" you speak of, have you been nominated their spokesman ?

Again your comment "Fine it doesn't have anything to do with Amiga, so freaking what," why is it ok for you to make such comments but you insist on telling folk that there opinions don't count... blah, blah, blah...

Your continuing to harp on about other folks comments is also ringing very hollow, I think you can only ever see one side of an argument and it always seems to be yours... :)

"we" as in the people who are interested in this company. As in I am one of them.

I never said anyones opinion doesn't count. But Ill tell you this, my opinion doesnt really count for OS4, or MOS or Natami, or quite a few other projects because I don't really care about them.

I see your side of the argument, I have heard it over and over again, and yet you still make it. Relax, this product isn't for you, just like OS4 isn't for me. I don't state my opinion over and over on OS4 threads because I don't care, I don't consider it to be any more "amiga" than Aros, or MOS or any of the other projects out there.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)