Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux PowerPC Blender benchmark  (Read 9355 times)

Description:

Offline Linde

• Show all replies
    • http://hata.zor.org/
Re: Linux PowerPC Blender benchmark
« on: May 04, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »
Quote from: ppcamiga1;691555
Results with OpenCL are significantly better.  

My 4 year old graphics card renders twelve times faster than the four cores in my pc.

That makes this whole benchmark stupid and pathetic trolling.

In the real world, no one will use 3D software that runs only on the CPU, and wait, when the GPU is able to render the scene almost immediately.
You are missing the point, so don't be a dick about it. The benchmark makes a perfetly valid comparison of the different architectures. The fact that you can do it faster on a graphics card is completely irrelevant when stacking these numbers up against eachother.

If we are going to approach this from a "real world" angle, you might as well just download a pre-rendered picture of the test scene in question, since that will probably be more effective than most other solutions.

Offline Linde

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
Quote from: ppcamiga1;691567
It's very simple.

Once again yet another who has a problem with Amiga hardware (sexy but slightly more expensive than PC), start with useless benchmarks.

"so don't be a dick about it. "

and accept this simple explanation.

You didn't really explain anything. It's not a matter of having a problem with Amiga hardware as much as it is an informative benchmark. The numbers speak for themselves, and if they offend you, that's your problem.

I don't see how you can call someone a troll for posting a benchmark of hardware that could all potentially run Amiga-like operating systems just because the numbers aren't in your favor. If the truth hurts, learn to deal with it yourself instead of calling people trolls. If you think the benchmarks are useless, go ahead and don't mind them, but don't pretend that it's not an indication of CPU power.

Offline Linde

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
Quote from: KimmoK;692022
According to shown benchmarks of this thread I wonder how anyone could see G5 as a good option for Amigalike OS. If it was true, that G4 performs better than liguid cooled G5, why would anyone want G5 over G4? For house heating purposes?

It has two cores, thus performing much better when rendering is split into two threads (as you can see from the results), just like the new Amiga computer chipset. Then again, some people say that Amiga-like operating systems will only ever run on single cores if they want to retain some level of backwards compatibility. I have no idea if this is true, though.