Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CS PPC SCSI advice??  (Read 4902 times)

Description:

Offline HammerDTopic starter

CS PPC SCSI advice??
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
*** UPDATED **** SOLVED:

-Updated ACARD AEC-7720UW FIRMWARE to latest version!
-Now 16-bit Synchronous mode works with exact same drive and cable
-Now 30MB/sec measured with SysSpeed!!!!!

Wow!

I think I am having some termination problems on my Cyberstorm PPC scsi.  

Here's what I have:

A short SCSI cable with a terminator on the end (how do I tell if it's Active?!?), one connector in the middle, then one at the other end.

So I have:

End of cable Terminator --> CS PPC <-- ACARD 7720UW SCSI-to-IDE and then my IDE drive.

The only jumpers on the ACard are Terminator Enable and Terminator Power.  Both are enabled.

My problem:

-I *HAVE* to set the bus-width to 8-bits.  If I set to 16-bits I get a parity error message from the cybppc.device (under os 3.9).
-The drive works fine in OS 3.9, set to 8-bit synchronous.
-I *have* had a lockup under OS 3.9 from which I think was a SCSI lockup.

-The drive is NOT detected under OS 4.0 after the OS4 kernel loads and the machine reboots.  The OS4 cybppc.device scans the SCSI bus but does not detect any devices.

Any ideas?!? thanks
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:38:42 AM by HammerD »
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
Re: CS PPC SCSI advice??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:17:20 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;581892

Any ideas?!? thanks

Sounds like now that your bus is 8-bit, and your terminators are 16-bit wide, you are terminating only the upper 8 bits, and not the lower 8-bits as required by the scsi II standard.

You need two 8-bit active terminators on ech end of the scsi chain, or convert back to 16-bit and go UW-SCSI only, that is asuming that all the devices in the chain are UW-SCSI (16-bit) compliant/compatible and that your terminators are active/correct type.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:24 PM »
Quote from: x56h34;581900
Sounds like now that your bus is 8-bit, and your terminators are 16-bit wide, you are terminating only the upper 8 bits, and not the lower 8-bits as required by the scsi II standard.

You need two 8-bit active terminators on ech end of the scsi chain, or convert back to 16-bit and go UW-SCSI only, that is asuming that all the devices in the chain are UW-SCSI (16-bit) compliant/compatible and that your terminators are active/correct type.

The only device on the chain is the ACard UW-SCSI to IDE adapter with an IDE hard drive attached to it.  

The one end of the cable has the active terminator (at least I think it's an active terminator, I don't know how to tell), the middle connector is connected to the CS PPC scsi, and the other end of the cable is the ACARD with IDE drive.  Terminator is set to enable on the ACARD and also Terminator Power is Enable.  

So I'm not sure what else to do.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
Does AOS4 support the SCSI on this card ?

It doesnt on the blizzard cards.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »
Quote from: JJ;581911
Does AOS4 support the SCSI on this card ?

It doesnt on the blizzard cards.

Yes, OS4 does support uwscsi on CSPPC. Unfortunately the scsi driver is slightly picky about scsi configuration and if scsi chain is not 100% correctly terminated the system may not boot (even if it does work without problems under OS3.x and MorphOS)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:39:27 PM »
Was I correct about the BlizzardPPC cards  on the A1200 though ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
Quote from: JJ;581922
Was I correct about the BlizzardPPC cards  on the A1200 though ?

You are correct Blizzard SCSI is not supported under OS4.

Back to my thread...anyone else have any ideas on my CS PPC SCSI problem?

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »
Do you have a regular SCSI drive that you can test with? Might be something with the Acard termination indeed.

I've had similar problems with my CSPPC (now sold) when termination was messed up. Worked like a charm with an SCA drive with SCA-UW adapter and a terminated cable, similarly setup to yours.

Running on a 'regular' SCSI disk can determine where your issue is!
A3000T

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Quote from: mousehouse;581928
Do you have a regular SCSI drive that you can test with? Might be something with the Acard termination indeed.

I've had similar problems with my CSPPC (now sold) when termination was messed up. Worked like a charm with an SCA drive with SCA-UW adapter and a terminated cable, similarly setup to yours.

Running on a 'regular' SCSI disk can determine where your issue is!

Yes I have a regular drive I could test it with.

So, if I remove the ACARD, and put on a UW SCSI drive, should I enable both Termination Power  (sometimes there is Termination Power "To" or "from" drive), and then Terminator Enable.  

I think Setting Terminator (on the drive) to enable is a no brainer.  And I would assume that Termination Power (from drive) is also correct?

Offline zipper

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »
Finding UWSCSI drives with termination is difficult. I have a SG with termination and the other end of the chain is terminated with an active terminator; the drive delivers termination power. No problems with the chain - there are total 3 drives.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
Quote from: zipper;581936
Finding UWSCSI drives with termination is difficult. I have a SG with termination and the other end of the chain is terminated with an active terminator; the drive delivers termination power. No problems with the chain - there are total 3 drives.

And you can use 16-bit Synchronous no problem? How much MB/sec transfer rate do you get? (you can measure with SysSpeed).?

Offline mousehouse

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
If I remember correctly "Termination Power" is not that big of a thing. You need it somewhere on the bus and (again, if memory serves me right) the CSPPC does that for you.

Most more modern drives feature "Auto Termination" and have no jumpers to set or unset it.

I would try it out with the UW drive on one end, CSPPC in the middle, ribbon/cable terminator at the end. And check the settings in the bootup screen (was that CTRL+S ?)
A3000T

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
Quote from: mousehouse;581942
If I remember correctly "Termination Power" is not that big of a thing. You need it somewhere on the bus and (again, if memory serves me right) the CSPPC does that for you.

Most more modern drives feature "Auto Termination" and have no jumpers to set or unset it.

I would try it out with the UW drive on one end, CSPPC in the middle, ribbon/cable terminator at the end. And check the settings in the bootup screen (was that CTRL+S ?)

It's ESC to get to the CS PPC Boot menu where you can adjust SCSI settings.  I have to set it to 8-bit currently otherwise the drive is not recognized.

I will try looking at the jumpers on the drive tonight, and also test the ACARD by removing the Termination Power jumper.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline zipper

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »
Quote from: HammerD;581937
And you can use 16-bit Synchronous no problem? How much MB/sec transfer rate do you get? (you can measure with SysSpeed).?

Yes - one drive must be forced into it as automatic doesn't work. 28-31 MB/s.

Offline zipper

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »
Quote from: mousehouse;581942

No it doesn't.