Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple Watch, lol  (Read 7242 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: Apple Watch, lol
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;786136
I'm shocked not a single comment yet from anyone asking to port OS4 or MorphOS or AROS to it.  :lol:

You would firstly have to replace all the capacitors, try another power supply, install SFS, and modify your Startup-Sequence.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:35:03 PM »
I'm waiting on a solar powered watch that doesn't require a battery replacement, sets itself automatically to the atomic clock in Ft. Collins, CO daily, and is water proof to 100 meters.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:10 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;786149
http://xkcd.com/1420/

:)

Yeah, I've given up on the concept of time; it is so passe' since Einstein publish his theory of relativity.  I mean Quantum Mechanics, That is where the past, present and future are going!  

Look at doctors; they have no need of "time pieces;" have you ever seen one show up on time for anything.  And if you are 50% of the population, piddling around with your makeup and hair fits No One's anal retentive schedule.  

Emerson, referring to being "on time" wrote, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

So watches, especially those readily available on the wrist, have lost their significance; after Benito Mussolini made the trains run on time, they hung him.  That is what the world thinks of punctuality!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
It might work for me if you could wirelessly recharge it while on your wrist, until then I will keep my solar recharged Casio with the atomic clock time syncing

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:50:15 PM »
Quote from: som99;786207
The lence is quite larger then most phones.
Lens?

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;786280
I don't for a minute suggest that fitness is not an important aspect of hearth [health] or the opposing sedentary lifestyle doesn't have a negative impact on health. Also heartbeat rate can be used in medical determinations especially in the context of activity in the case of the device. All very important aspects.

But diet, genetics/family history and medical conditions all have a major part to play in heath and the health context of an individual; Blood pressure, heart beat pattern graphing(ECG), blood sugar, BMI and weight are also important aspects, all of which are revolutionary features and none of which are natively present. ... Even though its a pretty neat idea. If you have two arms at least.

Well Gertsy, you are dead-on!   A family history (genetics) of death and disease tells way more than any silly device or simple test. One's BMI tells of cardiovascular (plus some cancer) and diabetes risk (the BMI accounts for weight and height).  Diet, access to medical care (actually accessing it), and life-style all have a huge effect on quality of life and longevity.

Determining your pulse, unless you are passing out from bradycardia or dying of SVT (either end of the spectrum) means nothing -- you can teach any fool to take a pulse even in the midst of heavy exercise.  And only a fool would pay $17,000 for a Gen 1 Apple watch.

Pulse oximetery is important if you are on some other concentration of oxygen than 21% or have COPD, pulmonary hypertension, or pulmonary fibrosis from years of smoking, heart disease or autoimmune disease (respectively), and you still need to bring a piece of skin between the sensor to pass blood through it.

Even if the watch took micro samples of the blood glucose from the sweat, who needs this other than diabetics and binge drinkers.

No watch that runs 18 hours between charges will have any impact on your health unless you are using it to call paramedics to do CPR, something most children above the age of 4 can learn.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
"ageist?"

Against?

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »
So you are saying that a pedometer will cure what exactly, a lack of motivation to walk?  

Would not a change of life-style, regular routine check ups, and a more sincere effort to eat healthy prior to the hemorrhagic, or was it embolic, stroke have prevented this in the first place?  A gram of prevention is woth a kilo of cure.

Type II diabetics take their family genetics and then for laughs, outstrip their insulin production by overeating, under exercising and being flipping lazy at changing their life-style, checking their blood glucose levels and taking their insulin on time. A watch that monitored their blood sugar will not change either their genetics or poor choices in life.  All the insulin micro pumps using QID regular insulin will not change a style of over eating and under caring.  As oppose to the OCD of people with autoimmune disorders (as in Type I diabetics), who can manage their HbA1C to a decimal point, the Type II diabetic just doesn't care.  Beside the sweat analysis used in my prior example hasn't reached Level 1 trials.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
Well, I am sorry you used a loved one as an example because you struck a nerve that Smart Watches "can monitor one's health."  To me this is a just silly.  If an electronic device helps your dad, that is great, but he still represents in statistics, an "N of 1" or one data point that has no bearing on measured outcomes.

As an augmented Smart Watch-Phone (accessory at this point), they will someday have value when they can be worn 24/7, are water proof, usable by a generation that requires bifocals, and not just a novelty.  They will not measure blood pressure without an inflatable wristband, measure pulse ox without a skin fold, determine an ECG without at least 3 limb leads, or check blood chemistry without years more in research.

A GPS enabled pedometer has a motivational value in exercise, but just doesn't quite make it to the panacea level of living a healthy life-style.

The technology will get there in 7 to 10 years as will the advertising hyperbole of the Super Smart Watch.