Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 Floppy Guru Errors  (Read 322 times)

Description:

Offline outlawal2Topic starter

A1200 Floppy Guru Errors
« on: December 21, 2017, 02:13:07 AM »
Good evening all..  Getting back into my Amiga 1200 and when I boot the machine all is good, but if I insert a floppy into the drive while at the workbench it Gurus...   If I leave the floppy in the drive and reboot it brings up the Workbench and I can click on the floppy and read from it, but then if I eject the floppy it gurus again..

Weird..  

This floppy drive works flawless on my 2000, and one of my other floppy drives works fine on the A1200..  

Any ideas as to why this drive does not work on this A1200?

Offline BLTCON0

• Show only replies by BLTCON0
Re: A1200 Floppy Guru Errors
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 06:13:52 PM »
Use a longer cable to test the drive outside of the A1200 case (to eliminate any oddball electro-mechanical interactions).

Also you could try cutting off the diskchange signal (pin/wire #2) completely and using the CLI "diskchange" command to emulate diskchange events (i.e. issue a "diskchange" command each time a new disk is inserted to enforce its detection). See if that makes any difference.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
It only happens when you press the eject button?  Rather than software-related, could it be hardware?  The pressure of the eject button is pushing the drive back and causing it to make contact with something?

TL;DR.  I see someone else already suggested try using a longer cable to test it outside of the case.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:41:25 AM »
BLTCON0:

The drive is completely outside of the case and is touching nothing at all at this point..
(And since this drive works perfectly on my 2000, I am not ready to cut any wires just yet..)

OLDS MIKE:

May be a hardware incompatibility of some sort as this is a replacement drive for an A2000 and as stated it works fine in my 2000..  

Any chance the drives from the 200 vs the 1200 are different and maybe some kind of incompatibility?

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:49:35 AM »
I would say minimal chance.  I have swapped drives around willy-nilly, including at this point having high-density drives installed in all of my Amigas (500s and 1200s, included.)

I am pretty certain the Amiga Technologies 1200s used an adapter on the 1200 to interface a standard PC floppy, but I don't think that changed anything on the main board.

Offline BLTCON0

• Show only replies by BLTCON0
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
Quote from: outlawal2;834295
BLTCON0:

The drive is completely outside of the case and is touching nothing at all at this point..
(And since this drive works perfectly on my 2000, I am not ready to cut any wires just yet..)

You can use a secondary spare cable though. Grab one from a PC, use the segment without the twist, and cut off wire #2.

The Diskchange signal is issued by the drive (voltage on wire #2 pulled low) when a disk has been inserted AND a step pulse has been received (which is the reason for the constant drive click - it's step pulses issued periodically by the OS to activate the diskchange signal in case a new disk has been inserted meanwhile).

If the OS boots with a disk already in Diskchange is not used at all - the disk is mounted by default and visible in workbench (you can verify that after disconnecting wire #2 - if a disk is placed a priori in the drive it'll be visible but subsequent changes will not, until a "diskchange df0:" command is issued).

So the behaviour you described in the original post seems to be consistent with the use or not use of the diskchange signal. Cutting it off and testing that way will make for a good test towards that direction.

OLDS MIKE:

May be a hardware incompatibility of some sort as this is a replacement drive for an A2000 and as stated it works fine in my 2000..  

Any chance the drives from the 200 vs the 1200 are different and maybe some kind of incompatibility?

The original Amiga 2000 drives are 1.6" units which use dual voltage, +5 for the PCB and +12 for the motor, the A1200 ones are typical 1" slim units which only use +5 volts for both the motor and the PCB.

As far as signal specifications are concerned, they are perfectly interchangable.
Some operational parameters (e.g. head settle time or track-to-track step rate or motor-to-ready delay) might vary among various drive brands/models, but the common denominators set by Commodore are typically met by any drive, so under OS routines they all operate the same.

So no, there are no general incompatibilities, much less any that could cause what you described.
It seems either a signal problem or CIA chip semi-problem (interfering with other CIA registers upon Diskchange triggering). On the A500 it's easy to swap CIAs and cross-check, on the A1200 not that easy, but you can still do the diskchange signal test.

It could also be some tracking problem in the drive causing shorting of some sort to occur when pressing the button - momentarily generating a current load high enough to surge the A1200's power supply (and cause the guru due to lack of juice), but not the A2000's much beefier unit. You can test this by connecting a multimeter on the +5V rail and watching for a drop upon pressing the eject button.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:56:29 AM by BLTCON0 »

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 02:10:04 AM »
A lot of great information guys and I really appreciate it..
I disconnected the drive and hooked it back up again and rebooted..

...And now it works fine..

???

Just one of those weirdnesses I guess..
Thanks again..