Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can someone help me with a few a1200 issues please ?  (Read 5956 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Can someone help me with a few a1200 issues please ?
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 19, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;616482
Cheers, that was one option, but the essential issue for our effervescent aquatic vertebrate was he wanted to transfer files to his amiga in adf format to basically "use" / get software onto his A1200, quote:"my amiga floppy drive doesnt write (so I cant make disks out of disk images)."
Either WHDload or DiskImage 2 (DI2) will allow you to mount the ADFs on the Amiga without a working floppy. (Just like in WinUAE)  
Here's some help: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55599

(o:  Floppy drives are still available and relatively cheap but a virtual one is free.
Of course to install your OS you need a booted OS(eg install disk) with a working floppy.  Be that a PC with WinUAE or a real Amiga with a floppy drive.

6 Years ago I strove to get a network card set up on my A1200, but once I did, I discovered (as most Amiga users do) getting online (browsing etc) is a job for a PC these days  and using FTP (or other tools) to transfer files is a pain, Though I still have Xatami FTP Server set up on my PC I just find it easier to do the CF Card shuffle and it feels more "Amiga" too.

Cheers.

PS:Fishy_fiz.  Offer still stands.  Hate to see you dump your amiga out of frustration.
We're here to help..    (o:

Easiest way all round is to use a PCMCIA network card and set up SMBFS 1.74 on the Amiga to browse your PC hard drive as an Amiga drive.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amiga-smbfs/files/amiga-smbfs/smbfs%201.74/
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;616568
As for an optical drive, what options do I have if Im using the pcmcia slot for networking ? What usb options do I have ? :)

As for an optical drive I assume you mean a CD or DVD drive, if so USB on an A1200 is no use as the SubWay USB device is only Ver1.1 (it's compatible with USB 2) but you only get V1.1 speeds from it which makes trying to use a USB CD/DVD burner next to impossible (you MAY get away with reading CDs/DVDs but forget about burning them with USB on an A1200)... :(

If you want to use a CD/DVD drive you really need the 4xEIDE (cheapest) or FastATA MKIII (dearest) to use a CD/DVD drive and you'll be able to read & write CDs/DVDs easily on your A1200... :)

The SubWay USB board is excellent for other things like wireless mice/ Cameras / MP3 Players & memory cards SD/CF etc... makes it a breeze for transferring stuff to/from a PC or Mac... :)

I use the SubWay/ 4xEIDE & FastATA MKIII on my various different A1200s and burning CDs/DVDs, wireless mice, connecting external HDs, reading & writing to/from different types of memory cards and devices are all a doddle when you add these to an A1200... :)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;616647
This will solve that little problem for you. :)

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/magictv2

Hot damn. I'll have to try that out

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »
Quote from: runequester;616655
Hot damn. I'll have to try that out
I have been using interlace on my 1084s since I installed that..
It's not "0 flicker," but it's an incredible difference!!!!!

Also, I was all into getting an optical drive on my A1200.  I have 2 laptop drives ready (one is bound to still be working :-).
But, the more I got looking at options, the more I started thinking about whether or not I would ever use it..

I mean, I almost never use optical in my PCs anymore.  I rarely see Amiga software on CDs.
I suppose if I wanted to run CD32 disks, but there seem to be whdload versions of many of the CD32 releases.
(I'm guessing without CDDA audio..)

So I slowed up the process..  Just not sure I need that...

desiv
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:17:55 PM by desiv »
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 02:33:02 AM »
Hm. I tried it, and when it works, its awesome. However, its about a fifty fifty chance of the display basically having horizontal distorted lines when using interlace.

Think this particular scan doubler just doesn't like it :)
I'll probably invest in an indivision along the way, unless I can find an LCD that likes the 15khz input.

And Desiv, Im kinda with you on the CD ROM. Its definately in the "nice to have" category, but in this day and age, I don't know if its really a must have for an amiga.

Offline fishy_fizTopic starter

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 03:37:08 AM »
As for CDROM/DVDROM, there's plenty of software that benefits from it. Quake, Descent FreeSpace, Nightlong, Naplam, Tzero, Earth 2140, Trapped1/2, Beneath A Steel Sky, ScummVM games, Amiga Dev CD, OS3.5/3.9, Simon The Sorceror 1/2, Feeble Files, Payback, F1 Licensware PD, AMOS PD CD, Ultimate Blitz, Aminet Collections, to name a few that I have myself, and there's plenty more out there.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 04:08:11 AM »
yep if you can do get a cd rom drive.  Some of the best commercial apps came for free on magazine cover cd's, as did tons of demos, music art work, utilities

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 05:57:12 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;616648
Easiest way all round is to use a PCMCIA network card and set up SMBFS 1.74 on the Amiga to browse your PC hard drive as an Amiga drive.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amiga-smbfs/files/amiga-smbfs/smbfs%201.74/

Might have to give it a go. I remember trying a cut down samba but it was fiddly. I've got my old 3Com 3C589 card sitting there unused. But it's 10mbps and I remember how slooooowww it was to copy files...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:40:51 AM by gertsy »