Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 2000 install A2088XT and Seagate RLL ST-11 installation, plz help me!  (Read 1385 times)

Description:

Offline Jope

hello,
i want to install an untested hard disk and an untested pc emulator A2088XT.

Given:
- Amiga 2000 working well
- Kickstarter 1.2
- Drawbridge (pc to amiga floppy disk)
- Floppy disks
- different versions of Workbench
- Janus installation floppy disks

I boot workbench 1.3 and deleted the most not necessary tools from workbench.
if i install janus the installer told me there is not enough space on the workbench disk.
if i remove all tools, the installation disk can not boot fastmem missing.

=> How can i install janus and get rid of the no space left error?
==> I check the manual, but there is only the hint to remove not necessary tools, i remove most tools, but that was not enough.

You can remove unneeded keymaps, device drivers, handlers and libraries too to save space. A bit of a wide subject, but look in l, libs, devs to see more files. You can most likely use google to figure out what they do and whether you need them.

=> How can i install the old RLL harddrive from seagate?

This will be visible on the DOS side of things, so once you have the Janus software running, it might already be set up for you.

XT RLL controllers will have their own bios hook that adds the hard drive to the PC. The controller will read the info off the beginning of the hard drive and adds the bios hook.

Now after that if you want to use it on the Amiga side, you need to set it up via JANUS. Please read the bridgeboard manual. A Janus hard disk will not autoboot on the Amiga even with kick 1.3, you will have to use a boot floppy.

If the drive was not low-level formatted for use with this controller, you will need to perform that before it will show up on the PC side. LLF on an MFM/RLL controller is usually performed with a tool that resides on the controller card's ROM. You boot up DOS from a floppy, then use the debug tool to jump directly into the lowlevel routines in the ROM. Your specific card's manual will tell you this, again google time.

I have to say that you chose a task that requires you to know quite a bit of AmigaOS and also how an ancient PC is set up to succeed.