Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Freescale introduces a $49 MCF5225x coldfire module  (Read 6224 times)

Description:

Offline platon42

• Show all replies
    • http://www.platon42.de/
Re: Freescale introduces a $49 MCF5225x coldfire module
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:44:17 PM »
Quote from: aperez;537791

It probably does, but USB full speed is only good for 1.5mbytes/sec, maximum theoretical, and one would be lucky if the effective, overall throughput were even 2/3 of that. I would prefer to see the USB stack not implemented in Amigaland, when there's a perfectly-capable 80/66MHz CPU sitting there which can do the heavy lifting.

Erm.... didn't you say two posts above that the controller on the board is USB 2.0 full-speed (which effectively, says it's USB 1.1)? There are hardly any embedded controllers with a USB 2.0 highspeed *host* controller available, this one is no exception (there are plenty of USB 2.0 highspeed *devices* though.

What kind of heavy-lifting are you expecting? >90% of the time is spent on copying data. If it wasn't for the 8 bit clockport data bus with slow timing, around 1 MB/sec would be doable, as already the Algor proves (of course, this also depends on the capabilities of the USB device used).

I never claimed it was. The point of using a premanufactured board is that they're easily obtainable, will be produced in quantities *far* greater than the Deneb and Subway will likely *ever* be, combined. What is needed is a bridgeboard which performs the necessary voltage regulation, as well as logic level buffering/transformations. The bulk of the onus rests on the backs of others, which is ideal in this particular situation.

No, no, what you need is somebody to write that kind of software. For example, you could use DisplayLink USB to VGA adapters on the Deneb easily -- if somebody would write a driver for CGFX. Who wouldn't want a 60 EUR graphics adapter supporting up to 2048 x 1152 or 1920 x 1200 with DVI signal that would only be marginally slower than the existing Zorro solutions? I'm sorry to say but software development costs have likely exceeded hardware development and especially production costs for most projects by magnitudes by now.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM