Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Opening the piracy can of worms.  (Read 23825 times)

Description:

Offline bhmrichard

• Show all replies
Re: Opening the piracy can of worms.
« on: October 21, 2006, 05:25:32 PM »
I'm pretty new here, but the discussion of "abandonware" and piracy is certainly not a new topic..  A couple of random thoughts.

One of the authors would get upset and complain. If not to us, then to the DCMA to get us shut down. It DOES NOT MATTER WHERE WE ARE HOSTED. IF THE DCMA DOES NOT GET ACTION, THEY GO TO ICANN (A US-based organization) TO KILL THE DOMAIN.

ICANN, under threat of possible u.s. court order to shut down the Spamhaus domain, has made it unilaterally known they that do not have authority to shut down a domain. Only the domain registrar can do that.

Do not post links or requests for warez.
Warez in our definition is illegal software up to and including "abandonware". The exception is if the person is KNOWN to have the legal right to distribute said software. This is not debatable.

Frankly, I love this rule here. I'm not an advocate of piracy. Having said that, I think there's one GREAT reason to be able to obtain software however.

1. You own a legal, licensed copy of the game/program/utility, and your disk is bad (after all these disks are YEARS old now).

I think this is the only reason I'd ever be interested in obtaining a program through non-traditional channels.