Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x  (Read 13958 times)

Description:

Offline Tension

Re: Interest in buying a Mac version of Amiga OS4.x
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »
Quote from: JJ;654199
AROS is a much Amiga as AOS4 is....

Does it run octamed? Didn't think so. Next.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »
Quote from: pampers;654204
You know **** about MorphOS on Macs and that's it. On my 'sucky' link most of PowerMacs are supported.

So MOS works on broken Macs? How nice of it.

There is also ebay in every country.

I vote this for the stupidest sentence on Amiga.org today.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
Quote from: Tension;654207

LOL. Now is not the time to get snobby about which Amiga os we like. AROS if it ever becomes ready will be just as good if not better than the PPC next gen miggies :)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
Quote from: Tension;654207

Does AOS4 then ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;654208
So MOS works on broken Macs? How nice of it.

I vote this for the stupidest sentence on Amiga.org today.

I can beat that, how about this.

drHirudo is a rational person.

How did I do ?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
@ drHirudo

I don't know what the supply situation is in your area, but, globally, PPC Macs are cheap and plentiful and can be repaired at any Apple store or any number of 3rd party dealers for a fraction of the price of a Sam. I don't mean to disparage the Sam boards - I'm sure they're a fine product - but there's no denying that they are very expensive on the price/performance scale.

The MorphOS port to Macs has brought in many, many more users. Since OS4 has far greater name recognition than MorphOS I have no doubt it could bring in a far greater number. That has the added benefit of extending the operating life of the machines, keeping them out of landfills.

As to the possible piracy angle, what does more harm to the community? People using OS4 and not paying for it? Or people not using OS4 and not paying for it? I think the latter. Even with pirated copies, you'll get users commenting on Amiga forums, affecting web metric counts, maybe even developing some software and coming to their senses and buying a proper copy. All of which contribute to the health of the platform more than people not using it at all.

I know you're not fond of MorphOS - that's fine, that your opinion - but I think it's foolish of you to advocate throwing out a capable hardware platform because of its association with an operating system you don't like.

Yes, I would buy a Mac version of OS4.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »
Quote from: JJ;654210
Does AOS4 then ?

Yep, tried tested and confirmed here. If you are running it on a classic, Paula etc. works as before. If running it on a "next gen", you need "The Maestrix" which provides a surrogate library to redirect OM's 16-bit Maestro audio through AHI.

The latter probably works on MorphOS too if anybody would care to test it.
int p; // A

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:16 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;654203
point us to "some" of the 64MB vram model, since i'm quite sure you know that the 32MB variant is crap even for MOS.

Have you ever used the 32MB model with MorphOS? I did and it was not crap, it was fast and snappy and run OWB, MPlayer, Blender, Quake3 and other apps perfectly.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »
There is a youtube video which demonstrates the difference between the 32mb and 64mb vram. The 32mb kept on slowing down when a few windows opened up. Especially browser windows. So maybe i would be better off using the 64mb version as i always have many windows open :)

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
Quote from: Crumb;654215
Have you ever used the 32MB model with MorphOS? I did and it was not crap, it was fast and snappy and run OWB, MPlayer, Blender, Quake3 and other apps perfectly.

not true, as you already know.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;654219

It depends on what you are doing with it. Everyone will use it in a different way  :)

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;654217
There is a youtube video which demonstrates the difference between the 32mb and 64mb vram. The 32mb kept on slowing down when a few windows opened up. Especially browser windows. So maybe i would be better off using the 64mb version as i always have many windows open :)

That video was just showing the way to rapidly exhaust video ram. But if you disable enhanced display, then you can open an insane amount of windows.

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;654219

Could you elaborate, please? 1.42Ghz Mac Minis work perfectly well. Let's compare with Sams:
-1.42Ghz Mac Minis play videos faster
-1.42Ghz Mac Minis run Quake3 faster
-1.42Ghz Mac Minis run OWB faster
-1.42Ghz Mac Minis run Blender faster

Of course, Mac Minis could still be crap but:
1. Sams would be much worse
2. G4 Mac Minis aren't crap.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
Quote from: Tension;654196
x64 is the only platform for the future. That is why the Amiga is dying out. People with their heads in the ppc cloud. Times change. I was the biggest fan of ppc but it's dead. It's an ex parrot. Get over it and wise up.  And don't start going on about aros ffs its not the same. Its useless.  Of course I realise Amiga will never go x64 because that would make too much sense.

PPC is dead? Someone best tell Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo so they can use something else  in their games consoles. Or doesn't that count?
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »
Quote from: Fab;654224
That video was just showing the way to rapidly exhaust video ram. But if you disable enhanced display, then you can open an insane amount of windows.

Yep that's the one. I would never disable the enhanced display though as i am a real big sucker for eye candy :)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: August 12, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;654167
MorphOS runs on limited variety of Mac models that are extremely hard to find today. The Macs models that MorphOS can run on today are slow and obsolete by current computing standards as well.
Hard to find? Where the are you looking? I'll give you a hint, GainSaver has a later-model Power Mac G4 for $40 after rebates.

As for "obsolete," certainly no more so than the SAM boards, and the jury's still out on whether the X1000 will outperform the Power Mac G5 (which can be had for as low as $25...)

Quote from: Tripitaka;654195
I am getting so sick of the Hyperion bashing some people blurt out on every thread they can. If you keep bitching at those that are trying you'll end up with no one doing anything for the Amiga at all.... geeesh.
People have been looking for something like this for years, don't see how blatantly ignoring the interests of the potential users counts as "trying..."

Quote from: Tension;654196
x64 is the only platform for the future. That is why the Amiga is dying out. People with their heads in the ppc cloud. Times change. I was the biggest fan of ppc but it's dead. It's an ex parrot. Get over it and wise up. And don't start going on about aros ffs its not the same. Its useless. Of course I realise Amiga will never go x64 because that would make too much sense.
Let's see...my Power Mac G5 still exists, still runs like new, and is fairly competitive performance-wise with an average Core 2 Duo system, was available affordably from a refurb retailer in quantity, to say nothing of less-powerful cheaper models, and the PPC architecture remains in use in all three current-gen consoles and at least one next-gen console...yeah, I can see how that's dead.

Quote from: Tripitaka;654226
PPC is dead? Someone best tell Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo so they can use something else in their games consoles. Or doesn't that count?
It doesn't count because it doesn't support his argument ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:09:14 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup