Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcement: Technical data of the new Catweasel MK4 controller  (Read 5539 times)

Description:

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: Announcement: Technical data of the new Catweasel MK4 co
« Reply #44 from previous page: July 20, 2004, 09:51:56 PM »
One OpenPCI version of the driver would cover MOS, Amithlon and Amiga Classic PCI all in one go, and probably OS4 later too. I can't see why Jens doesn't go this route.

Speaking of alienating: OpenPCI was supposed to become the standard PCI solution under AmigaOS 4.0 until such time as they got G-REX support, at which time OS 4 support was suddenly no longer possible. From what I've heard (*) OpenPCI G-REX support was tied to the condition that no OS 4 version would emerge.

Go figure.

(*) Footnote: From what I heard. I am not saying it is so or the other way, to keep the blood pressure of the flame throwers low. If it is true or not I don't know, but I find it strange nonetheless.
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Rogue

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2004, 09:55:18 PM »
It is a bug in OS4 dos.library. One of functions gives wrong return code.

Can you tell me what function that is? We can then subsequently fix the problem, instead of having application programmers work around it.

Offline Rogue

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2004, 10:02:49 PM »
It is a bug in OS4 dos.library. One of functions gives wrong return code.

It would have been nice to actually receive a bug report. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't happened.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2004, 10:29:30 PM »
Rogue wrote:
Can you tell me what function that is? We can then subsequently fix the problem, instead of having application programmers work around it.

MatchPatternNoCase(). But it probably effects all Match#? dos functions.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2004, 11:03:05 PM »
The Catweasel MK4 sounds like a very   upgrade.

---------------
redfox

Offline JKD

• Show only replies by JKD
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2004, 11:51:54 PM »
Kenny,
   not sure why you are complaining...by all accounts the MK3 works just fine on your Peg 1. I have received support for my MK3 with the Peg2, simply by writing a nice email to Jens. (of course support is limited to MK3 and mdisk363)

For what it's worth, we have been doing some investigation as to why it does not work on Peg 2 (via the rather non-scientific testcatweasel program but still)....and have concluded that:

1. Either testcatweasel program is broken on pegasos 2
2. Pegasos 2 openfirmware changes somehow killed CW3.

We tried current OpenPCI (1.2? 1.4?) and beta version 2.0 on two different catweasel's (Jens had initially concluded that my hardware was broken...but I wasn't so convinced.)

If you could download the amiga catweasel disk and try the testcatweasel program on your Peg 1/MK3 and post the result here or PM me on amiga.org then that would be a step forward for us.

Program needs a non-write protected floppy in unit 0.

Sorry to be only slightly 'on-topic'

Regards,

Steve

FWIW The symptom on a Peg 2 with MK3 is that you can only read floppies and not write to them.

Also, Jens did not close the door to MorphOS support, it would just have to be someone he really trusts doing the dev work...and possibly under NDA. If he changed his mind after all the childish insults then shame on the trolls!

Offline Rogue

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2004, 11:54:56 PM »
MatchPatternNoCase(). But it probably effects all Match#? dos functions.

Ah, yes. I remember a discussion about this on the Dev list. The problem is that the autodoc never was really very specific about the error code ("Result: Success or Failure") and was supposed to return DOSTRUE in the case of success, which is -1. OS 2 and OS 3 returned 1 instead, which is, technically speaking, wrong.

That's another example for the unfortunate BCPL legacy.

Offline ShadesOfGrey

• Show only replies by ShadesOfGrey
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2004, 02:10:17 AM »
To Whom It May Concer,

Just adding my $0.02...

I've had the pleasure of meeting Jens Schoenfeld at two Amiga shows I attended and threw tech support requests via e-mail.  In all cases I found him to be a genuinely nice, accomadating, and very personable individual.  From those impressions I tend to believe that if Jens were to mistreat some one, they probably deserved it.  Of course I don't know all the details of the current 'dispute'.  So I can only speak to what I know...  There are plenty of others far more deserving of scorn than Jens.  The mere fact that Jens is still producing after all the whining and winging, broken promises, and failed dreams that plague the 'Amiga' Community.

I for one think he deserves a little more respect.  I also hope he sees this message and knows that not everyone in the Community is quite so...  ...  ...  For lack of a better word, selfish.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, this message is not meant to affirm nor deny, defend nor offend any faction within the \\\'Amiga\\\' Community.

Offline billchase

• Show only replies by billchase
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2004, 03:21:16 PM »
Where is the Windows 3.1 support?
Why doesn't that piss anybody off?  :lol:

C Snyder

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2004, 04:01:49 PM »
It should do, because for sure more people use Windows 3.1 than will ever use OS4.

Offline billchase

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2004, 06:01:29 PM »
I detect a fragile sense of humor.

C Snyder

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2004, 08:02:06 PM »
Actually, it would be pretty cool to have an MS-DOS TSR that hooks drive letters and understands various disk formats. However, unless Jens has worked out some magic for detecting drives, he'd need to include some sort of static register to hold the device configuration which would help the driver work dynamically. Without that, one could require parameters on the TSR command-line. Could be a fun project.

Trev

Offline billchase

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2004, 01:49:29 AM »
MS-DOS is certainly more practical than Windows 3.1

C Snyder

Offline spirantho

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2004, 09:46:42 AM »
MS-DOS isWindows 3.1, to all intents and purposes! :)

For the people complaining about paying for MorphOS drivers - since when has it been ok to moan about not getting something for free? Someone has to write the drivers, and why the heck shouldn't he charge? He's not writing them for himself, so he has every right to!

For myself, I'll probably buy 2 - one for my A1, one for my Prometheus A4000. And that's on top of the MkII I have in my 'disk factory' (an A1500/Catweasel with no less than 5 disk drives of various sorts attached).

All this complaining makes me more and more glad I went with AOS4 not Pegasos like I was going to.

Keep up the good work Jens!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!