Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The "Redback" CD32 Expansion (8MB + IDE + Clockports)  (Read 4149 times)

Description:

Offline Sparky

• Show all replies
Re: The "Redback" CD32 Expansion (8MB + IDE + Clockports)
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:29:12 AM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;705516
You'd be surprised how much a decent name and good looks go towards marketing a product, even in the Amiga market it wouldn't hurt to spend a few cents extra for something that'll have more resell value for the one who buys it. When someone is bragging about their system to a friend, a well-named card is easier to remember and go searching for, and a more noticeable card stands out well in photos, drawing attention to the mystery and coolness of having such an expansion added to the CD32.

I have seen Jens mention that he is able to produce his expansion connectors in any colour you desire, and I doubt it would add significantly to the cost. Often during these small production runs there is a choice of PCB colour, something that also barely changes the cost either. We're talking about the difference of cents per board, if that, so I don't think too many people would be unhappy with the colour choice if it only bumped up the cost of the product less than a dollar.

Maybe having an actual product to market might be the better place to start than the colour of the PCB ?
If you start learning electronics now you might be able to produce something in about 5 years .....

Offline Sparky

• Show all replies
Re: The "Redback" CD32 Expansion (8MB + IDE + Clockports)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »
Quote from: Rebel-CD32;705638
After reading the whole thread, you think this idea started with the colour of the PCB? I may not have a solid product to market but sharing ideas is better than nothing, and I'm already doing my best to contribute to the Amiga community with my other projects. Have you anything else to add other than smarmy critique?

I wasn't trying to be smarmy just realistic and in the back of my mind I know I'd seen this post before somewhere else ....

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39114

It's been 2 years to the day since you last bounced your idea ... and the only change I see is you've drawn a picture.

I'm all for ideas, but if you are so keen on it why not give it a go rather than cling onto the hope that someone smarter will do it for you ?  Pick up the books, buy a soldering iron, grab the CD32 schematics and see what you can whip up ?