Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 24 bit colour game for the Amiga 500?  (Read 1296 times)

Description:

Offline mandelbrotTopic starter

• Show only replies by mandelbrot
24 bit colour game for the Amiga 500?
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:30:10 PM »
I have a very faint recollection of a 24 bit digitizer for the Amiga (possibly DCTV) which came bundled with a 24 bit colour game (possibly a 24 bit version of Full Contact). Unfortunately I have found no information about it on the internet. I only found DCTV Paint, a 24 bit image editing software for the Amiga (possibly the first), but nothing about a game in the package.

Does someone remember something or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Thanks in advance.

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: 24 bit colour game for the Amiga 500?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:56:48 PM »
I think it was Opalvision and it may have been a karate game.

Edit: just saw now that you mentioned Full Contact. I feel more confident now that it was Opalvision, but not sure it was Full Contact.

Offline X-ray

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »
Ja, I googled it and it was King of Karate. It came with the Opalvision.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »
Thanks X-Ray, it was bugging me all day. The first 24 bit colour game, then. Another Amiga first. Do you know if it can be emulated?  

Offline X-ray

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:06:11 PM »
@ mandelbrot

I'm sorry I don't know if it can be emulated. In fact it is just by luck that I knew which card it was, because of something that happened way back in South Africa.
You see, back then Amiga graphics cards were a rarity. One of my buddies phoned me up and said that a dude (who I will call Ade) had bought an Opalvision card and that he was raving about the paint program and karate game. My buddy said that this guy had a lot of games and miscellaneous stuff for the Amiga and maybe we should go and see him and the new Opalvision card. So this dude Ade was my buddy's friend, and I didn't know him, but I was burning to see this Opalvision.
Okay so off we go on our bicycles, on a 10 mile ride in hot Joburg weather to see this dude (who was expecting us) and when we got there we were told that his dad was using that A2000 with the Opalvision so we couldn't see it. It was in another room. Anyway to cut a long story short, we never got to see that Opalvision card or the game and that card remained a bit of an enigma for us. Our dealings with this Ade went south from then on (not our fault, Ade was a douche bag that's all) and in the end despite the fact that his dad seemed to get him all the latest stuff, we had to write that dude off.
Not that either of us could have paid for an Opalvision back then (I was a student and my buddy was finishing high school). Our first purchases would probably have been 040s anyway, because we fancied ourselves as budding raytracers.

So no, I haven't seen the game or the card, but I remember the name and the many miles cycling for nothing.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:46:32 PM »
After a short search I don’t think it’s possible to emulate it, since you need the Opalvision card to play it, which hasn’t been emulated. A bit of a shame really, since the world’s first 24 bit colour game will be forever forgotten.

Offline TheWizard

• Show only replies by TheWizard
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:05:18 AM »
Can't seem to find any screenshots of this game. Would be nice to see  :-)
Amigas:
A1000, 8mb Phoenix Fast-Ram Expansion
A2000HD, Kick 3.1, Fusion 68040, 20megs Fast Ram, Genlock

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 01:32:40 AM »
Haha or you can buy my set of opalvision install floppies and own it ;-)

TheWizard wrote:
Can't seem to find any screenshots of this game. Would be nice to see  :-)
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!