Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port  (Read 34802 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;739952
Semi-related question: I downloaded the ECS version of Wolf3D a few weeks ago ( http://aminet.net/package/game/shoot/ecswolf3d ) but couldn't get it to run and of course in typical Amiga-fashion there was no instructions.  ;)  Starting up it asked for some specific type of file which I had to Google (sorry, not in front of my Amiga at the moment), turns out I needed the executable and data files from PC version of Wolfenstein, I believe?  Downloaded such off of some shady site online but it still wouldn't run after I dumped them into the game directory, did nothing, no errors, however if I tried to do something else afterward I'd get a visit from the guru.  ;)

So question is, where do I download the Wolfenstein source files for use on an Amiga?  Is this game old enough yet that they've dropped into the public domain, or do I have to rip an executable off an old PC somewhere?

Thanks!!

Haven't tried this myself, but found this online: http://dosgamer.com/wolfenstein-3d/download.html

Hmmm, might have to run the install.bat first on a real pc! Then copy the installed files over to Amiga, then replace the wolf3d executable with the Amiga one. I keep meaning to try this ECS version, I've tried out the AGA conversion of a few years back (the one with no sound) but haven't had any further dealings with Wolfenstein since unfortunately. Now there's the new AGA one with sound, and Nova's porting one as well so I'll have to get back into it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:03:43 PM by paul1981 »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;747322
So I'm running an A1200 with a DKB 1240 (68030 @ 50MHz) and 16MB RAM with ClassicWB, and AmiWolf starts up fine and goes through the menu without issue - but when I start a new game, it displays the "Get Psyched!" loading screen, then goes black and seems to just hang; I left it sit for about fifteen minutes without it getting to the level...any ideas what I should try in order to pin this down? (I can't run it without the accelerator, as that has all the non-chip RAM - and it's not an unstable board anyway...)

Also, why's it run in interlaced mode? Wolfenstein's 320x200 is already supported by the Amiga...

Are you running any mode promotion software? It's all I can think of at this time - although I haven't tried this port myself yet.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;747769
It's not a lack of memory because someone managed to get it running with only 6MB, maybe it's a patch???

Does it play well with FBlit?

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;747755
No errorlog, I'm afraid. I tried running it with 32MB as well, same result. (I'd be kind of astonished if a game that required 528KB on DOS required anything like even 16MB on the Amiga - even with the 4MB "MIDI instruments" file...)

Have you tried running Snoopdos yet? I'd turn all the monitor switches on and have a good look at the output created.
Are you using a custom rom with custom graphics.library or anything?

Offline paul1981

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;747774
Is it possible to boot with no startup sequence and try to run it then?  Sorry, just tossing ideas out there now!

Run setpatch first though or AGA won't be activated and it'll probably black screen or something. ;)
Unless AmiWolf bangs the hardware directly that is... but I don't think it does if it multitasks.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:27:20 PM by paul1981 »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Quote from: mikrucio;748414
excuse my ignorance....

but WHY THE HELL would anyone want to play a game you can download from the internet
with dosbox and play it, all in about 2 minutes of work and for free?
only to see how crap it looks and turn it off?

your a legend mate, but i really think your wasting your time...BIG TIME.

This is a pretty good answer: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=741022#post741022 ;)

Quote from: mikrucio;741022
Yeah you be pretty hard pressed to find forums  users 10 years on, on most forums these days. Yet most of us have  endured! why? who knows.

I see My Amiga500 as a platform. That has limitations, The limitations imposed are what give
it personality!.. those 4096 colors I'm sure we have all seen hundreds  of times. in fact alot of us can probably give out the hex code to a  color we see on the screen lol!

The Amiga has something other computers don't. And its not because I was  using one when I was 14. Now that I'm 33 i don't think its a nostalgia  thing. But then again who knows how ones mind works...

The Amiga will never rise again as a new platform, simply because it doesn't need one.
The platform it filled is still there.

(ps i think this is my longest post in 10 years lol)