Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hate! Hate! Hate! (take 2)  (Read 7933 times)

Description:

Offline cha05e90

• Show all replies
    • http://www.ruthe.info
Re: Hate! Hate! Hate! (take 2)
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:34:09 PM »
While i *begin* to like this site (again) while using my sam and OWB I'm still not happy with a "quick browse" to amiga.org using my trusty OS3.9 systems. The fully fledged version is known to be creativly "reconstructed" by AWeb, IBrowse and Voyager and the mobile version is ... ahem ... not that sophisticated ;-)
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline cha05e90

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;510917
I realize you probably haven't read the hundred or so posts explaining that the site is no longer 100% compatible with the classics, as well as why not, but suffice to say that time has marched on, and the classic Amiga browsers have not.  Don't use a dead, unsupported browser to try and reach a web site then expect it to work.. Go yell at the authors of those browsers and tell them to quit slacking off.  They've had 12 years worth of break, it's time to get back to work.. .. :)

Wayne
You are right and....errr...not. Of course you (and the Amiga.org web backbone) have reasons to move on, but there *some* people you leave behind. i am rather lucky to own a amiga(-like) system that is capable to make use of the new style and techniques but this is coincidence. this is since some weeks now. before arrival of my sam amiga.org was a dead end for my classic systems which is/was sad, 'cos amiga.org was my first browse of the day beneath amiga-news.de.

I accept that most users surrendered ;-) and browse amiga sites with a windows pc (or aquivalents).

Offline cha05e90

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;511012
We all -- myself more than most -- understand the loss of potential users, but 12 years after the most current classic browser was released, the number of people who got left behind were far, far outweighed by the advantages offered by the new system.

This, being 2009, is just one of those situations where -- if the authors of those browsers hadn't given up -- it would still be perfectly usable if they hadn't.

I had a choice.  Move forward, or close the site.  I hope I chose well.

Wayne
I absolutley understand your point of view - *maybe* there is something in the pipe with a new, buyable IBrowse, progress in AWeb or a usable version of Netsurf. Until then - we "original classic system" users are somewhat lost. And, btw, I do NOT count UAE users: first of all they surrendered, too ;-) and they might be able to use classic 68k-ports like OWB where a real system is way to slow to be useful.
Despite this i really appreciate all the work you and all others do and did with amiga.org!