Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: is super street fighter 2 a good port?  (Read 8288 times)

Description:

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
Re: is super street fighter 2 a good port?
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:20 AM »
The best Amiga beat'em-up to date is surely Capital Punishment - wonderfully impressive engine, smooth scrolling, excellent graphics and meaty audio and an unbelievable soundtrack. It's a shame the CP engine couldn't be modified to accomodate sprites from other titles such as SSF2T - the fluidity of animation and feeling of 'connecting' is unsurpassed on the Amiga.

Uhm, I tried to run the demo now to confirm what I am about to write here, but unfortunately I didn't get it to run.

Concerning the smoothness; I do not remember it as being smooth? Maybe it wasn't the scrolling that wasn't smooth (but I don't remember it as being perfect 50Hz scrolling) but... if it wasn't the scrolling it must have been the characters movement that wasn't perfect. Rather 25FPS instead of 50FPS. Which annoyed the hell out of me. But, since I can't get it to run at the moment I don't know if it was the scrolling, the characters movement or both.

If anything, bad scrolling and/or non 50Hz-perfect movement of characters must be what I consider making most Amiga games feel WAY older than they actually are (The Chaos Engine, for example, or... actually all the Bitmap Brothers games have what I consider 'bad' scrolling, not to mention the awful movement of enemies in Project-X, or the movement of monsters and obstacles in SuperFrog and so on...).
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »
@DoctorQ

I guess you are reffering to my rather frequent 'negative' posts which I've been writing lately, but, yes, of course I have tons of positive thoughs on the Amiga.

What I am fed up with, though, is this constant non-critial praise of things realted to the Amiga. And, to clarify it even further: only the non-critical praise, not praise in itself. Being nostalgic, is one thing, and I can of course not ever say that being nostalgic is wrong. But, when nostalgia goes as far as claiming things which in reality isn't true I just can't help but commenting on it.

I've even heard some people claim Moonstone to have smooth character movement (as in the characters scrolling around softly on the screen when being moved) which of course isn't true. And it is not a matter of personal opinions (because personal opinions are just that; personal opinions), it is rather an unqestionable fact that the characters doesn't scroll around softly on the screen.

I don't know if my point is getting through here...  but, what I am trying to say is that what annoys me is when people present personal opinions as facts, and especially when the facts seems like non-critical praise.

I mean... claiming that F-Zero GX for the GameCube has perfect 60Hz update of the screen, how many would disagree (not many at all, probably)? Claiming that Ruff'n'tumble has perfect and smooth scrolling, on the other hand, is something that many people could disagree with.

UPDATE: Oh, and concerning positive though on the Amiga: I think Pang! is a wonderful arcade port! I love Super Stardust AGA! I think it is like magic to watch IBrowse work on my 060 realising how impressive it is to surf the wed as 'smoothly' as I do on an old 68k in comparation on how it runs on my XP2400+! I consider SlamTilt being the best pinball game ever released, and that's the Amiga version I am talking about. I find Brilliance (and to some extent DeluxePaint) being the only option if wanting to work with pixels since there isn't one single program released for Windows that does the job as good. I consider Brian The Lion having raised the bar so high for the quality of game production, in the effects & eyecandy department, on the Amiga that most other platformers that I've seen just doesn't feel well produced. I find the 'structure' of Workbench/AmigaOS being sadly overlooked... still all this years later everything feels so 'simple' and 'obvious', just look at the devices, Locale, DOSDRivers, Datatypes, Libraries... what the hell went wrong with the 'logic' and 'structure' of todays OS'es? Looking at Windows makes me cry, out of fear of what is to come next. And so on. And so on.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 09:45:27 AM »
Update: Yes, sorry about going somewhat OT in this thread. This will be my last post in this thread that goes OT.

@DoctorQ

But, thing is, you are saying exactly what I mean to say.

I'll try to make a final short explanation that hopefully will make things clear (concerning how I look upon the entire issue). Look at these two statements:

* Lemmings have perfect scrolling

* SuperFrog have perfect 50Hz scrolling

The first statement is what I consider a personal opinion. People may find the scrolling perfect for that very game, but in reality the scrolling could theoretically be much smoother than it is.

The second statement is what I consider a fact. SuperFrog could not ever possibly scroll any smoother since the game runs in 50Hz and the scroll is 50Hz perfect.

So... when you say that Quake runs smoothly, I look upon that as a personal opinion. Not a fact. And my reply was that my personal opinion was different than yours. If Quake would have only run on NTSC/AGA and would have run in solid 60FPS it could not possibly have been questioned that the game didn't run smoothly. But now your statement could be questioned, and since my opinion was so completely different from yours I felt that I wanted to share my opinion in the thread, although I had to point out that it was just an opinion and that others very well could be satisfied with how 'smooth' the game ran.

If you would have written something like 'I personally think the game runs smooth, but some may differ' instead of 'There is a special version of Quake called BlitzQuake, which runs very smoothly on 060/Mediator' my post would have looked rather different.

Oh, and concerning IBrowse...  I only meant that I find it fascinating that I am sitting on and old 68060 processor running at 50MHz using IBrowse to surf the web and it runs as fast as it does compared to how it runs on an 2400MHz machine. Concerning what IBrowse offer in the HTML/JavaScript/CSS/blahblahblah department, well, it is years behind. But that wasn't really my point, now, was it?

:-P

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 02:48:54 PM »
@leirbag28

Thank you.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

But one thing you forgot to mention... Universal Soldier (Turrican II) for the SNES (or, in reality, for the Genesis since I'm not sure that nothing but the beta of the game exists for the SNES). Oh dear, did they f**k up that port, or what?

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 03:34:45 PM »
Yes...they had Universal Soldier (Turrican II) for SNES, but I believe it was Called Super Turrican! the game was technically nicer and had good sound..............but it certainly was NO Turrican.the Amiga Music and play was better. It was just too different on the SNES and didnt do anything special.

Uhm, actually there's three different Turricans for the SNES.

Universal Soldier is Turrican II with modified sprites and some added levels. Much like Probotector vs. Contra, Universal Soldier played with a suitless soldier, and the first level was some crappy jungle which had nothing to do with the original Turrican II.

Then there's Super Turrican, which is a completely different game, and holds some elements from the various Amiga games but cast in an entirely new environments (or mostly new environments, at least). It feels kind of odd, but still behaves pretty much like one expects a Turrican game to behave.

Finally there's Super Turrican II which really took a turn for the odd. The oddest part in Super Turrican II is to me to fact that you are riding on different vehicles in some mode7 rendered environments, and that you do pretty often. It is quite good looking, but doesn't feel much like a Turrican game at all.

Offline Legerdemain

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 03:36:50 PM »
Here is a link to a site which talks about most of the different Turrican releases:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/turrican/turrican.htm