Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Debugging  (Read 961 times)

Description:

Offline Doppie1200Topic starter

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
Debugging
« on: September 05, 2004, 06:45:10 PM »
Hi All,

In winter I'm going to do some programming for Amiga OS.
I know there is gcc for amiga free to use. I have not used gcc very much. Only when I develop for VxWorks.

When I develop software for Windows, VxWorks or a different embedded system there is usually some kind of debugger available which allows me to step trough the sourcecode and examine variables.

Is there someting like that for amiga gcc generated binairies too?

I could also use Hisoft C/C++ which has a debugger available in its IDE as I recall. Unfortunatly I do not know it's C++ capabilities.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Debugging
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 07:41:25 PM »
GCC has GDB (GNU Debugger) but no IDE.  It is what is used to develop for AmigaOS 4 so I recommend using GCC.  On the downside, the best version of GCC for the 68k processor series Classic Amigas is slow and contains some bugs.

I haven't worked with HiSoft C++ so I can't comment on it except to note that AmigaOS doesn't have object-oriented foundation classes so if you develop in ANSI/ISO C instead of C++ there is no reason to get HiSoft C++.  VBCC is a better option for free and has a freeware GUI available for it on the Aminet archives.

Offline D00kie

• Show only replies by D00kie
    • http://www.tigger1.demon.co.uk
Re: Debugging
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 08:11:17 PM »
Hi,

Check out StormC. It's free if you're going to distribute free software and it's on the AmigaOS DevCD. Okay, okay, it's not the most compatible implementation of a C/C++ compiler, but it has a GUI and a nice editor, plus a decent step debugger that you can set breakpoints on.

All in all, it's a fairly good IDE.

Haiku is a joke
What a waste of freaking time
I have eggs to suck