Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PCTask vs PCx vs Emplant e586 what is the best PeeCee emulator  (Read 8522 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
There's actually 2 different versions of Dosbox for 68k Amiga. Novacoders AGA 0.74 version and an older RTG/0.58 version.
The older version is temperamental though. When it works it works fine, but it often crashes when 1st launched. Setting a large stack improves things a little, but doesn't guarantee it won't crash.

I've not used the emplant emu, but my experience with the others is there's no best as such, they all have pros and cons and different software will favor one over another.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: PCTask vs PCx vs Emplant e586 what is the best PeeCee emulator
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:57:40 AM »
One thing I'm curious about is x86 emulation for 68k mac under shapeshifter or fusion. It could give a few more options. From my browsing a few months back when I looked into it there was Softwindows, one other commercial product whose name eludes me, and surprisingly a 68k Mac qemu port from a few years ago.
There may be others, but that's what I found.
Haven't yet got around to trying any of them though.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »
*deleted double post*
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:20:00 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Sure, pc emulation on a classic Amiga, or even "NG" options isn't an alternative to having a physical PC if one wishes to use an even moderately recent version of Windows, but there's a universe of cool, useful older software out there for dos and win9x.
Despite having a dedicated Win9x box (I like seeing how useful older systems can be in the modern world) I actually use Dosbox + RunInDosbox for some productivity software on my AROS box. According to Sandra SiSoft plus a few other tests I get roughly 550mhz interger and 750mhz fpu p3 type speeds, which is more than enough for things like Paintshop Pro, 3d Studio Max, console ROM hacking tools, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, etc, etc.
The ppc options are more along the lines of a mid to higher spec 486, but even that's enough for some productivity stuff and early 90's games.
Even slower again, but 68k machines are also capable enough to run some software that doesn't exist on the Amiga.
It all depends on what sort of software a person wants to run, but in my opinion PC emulation can be useful on Amiga-oid systems.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:18:37 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:41 PM »
@Dandy

The AROS box is using an i7-870 clocked at 3.8ghz. I used to use an i5-760@4ghz, but ended up with the spare i7 system so figured why not. The performance for the 2 is currently nigh on identical currently, but the i7 will be a bit more future proof for when I changed to 64bit AROS (multi processor support in the future).
Regardless, they're both pretty old machines, but I'm more than happy with them for AROS.

As for the ppc options, sorry, I actually meant the "NG" machines.
Probably the best option for os3.x is the WOS version of Dosbox I did some years back. Unfortunately I no longer have a copy of the binary, but I did send it to a few people so hopefully its made its way onto the net (or at least some peoples hard drives) somewhere.
Performance wise I'd guess something along the lines of a 50mhz 386 on a 200mhz 604e.
Besides Bochs though there's nothing on any Amiga-noid system that could run anything beyond Win9x anyway. Speed Aside bochs is the only option that let's you assign enough RAM to even glacially run WinXP and above on classic systems (although bochs is 68k only for os3.9).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:40:18 PM by fishy_fiz »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
@snkbitten

Just did a browse now and also found softat, realpc, and softpc.
I'm not sure if they're 68k or ppc, but I suspect both depending on version numbers.

Also are you sure there's no Softwindows2 for 68k? I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall there was. It was a few months ago though so its quite possible my memory and reality are different. :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 04:40:31 AM »
@thread

I noticed over at eab that Jim Drew mentioned a potential update to his fusion and pcx emulators.
Seemed relevant so thought I'd mention it. :)