Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FastATA Mk3 - ATA3Prefs nightmare  (Read 1197 times)

Description:

FastATA Mk3 - ATA3Prefs nightmare
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:45:03 AM »
Please can someone help me before I throw this bloody thing out of the window!!!!!?!?!?!

I have plugged a 40GB Drive as master on the second channel.

Booted with no startup-sequence, and no reset resident patches.

I ran SYS:Prefs/ata3prefs and it displayed the drive correctly, but didn't give me the option for split/no-split which I thought was strange.

I changed the PIO to 5, and selected resident and interrupts, then saved the settings and rebooted.

The ata3.driver is straightafter BPPCFix and Setpatch in my startup-sequence.

At the workbench screen I see an icon for the 25MB FFS partition on it (This came from a Peg with MorphOS), and obviously no sniff of the 39GB SFS partition.

I run HDToolbox and see 10 3.9GB HDD's listed.  Damn split drive option.

I have a look at ata3prefs again, and it has my drive listed with PIO 4 instead of the 5 i set it to, and this time gives me the split option.  I change PIO to 5 and set to no-split.

I reboot, and I have the same thing!!!!

I have installed smartfilesystem to L: and installed it in the RDB of my primary master drive, and on the RDB of this drive too.

I know you aren't supposed to run ata3prefs with the ata3.driver or any other resident programs running, but it doesn't give me the bloody no split option if i run it clean.

Can anyone help?  I don't want to have 10 fecking virtual hard drives, i just want 2 partitions!!

I'm running OS3.9 BB2 btw.

Offline kas1e

Re: FastATA Mk3 - ATA3Prefs nightmare
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:07:09 AM »
:) The same problem for me. Elbox created very un-logical device. It works of course, but .. Why needed DRIVERS, not FLASH with no-split at hardware level ? just was need put ata3.driver code to flash which must be present on fastata .. that it .. why not ? But, ok. We do not have flash. In this case we must have one partition which supporting on hardware level by a1200. Well, ok .. but ataprefs MUST have options to un-split OTHER hdd space. i mean first partition 4gb - is ok. We boot from this partition and load ata3.driver, but why need split ALL HDD on 4gb parts ? :)) It is funny ..

Now, I am have 2 4gb partitoin - system/work, and not using other 32gb of my hdd :) Mess ..

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 01:13:39 AM »

kas1e wrote:
:) The same problem for me. Elbox created very un-logical device. It works of course, but .. Why needed DRIVERS, not FLASH with no-split at hardware level ? just was need put ata3.driver code to flash which must be present on fastata .. that it .. why not ? But, ok. We do not have flash. In this case we must have one partition which supporting on hardware level by a1200. Well, ok .. but ataprefs MUST have options to un-split OTHER hdd space. i mean first partition 4gb - is ok. We boot from this partition and load ata3.driver, but why need split ALL HDD on 4gb parts ? :)) It is funny ..

Now, I am have 2 4gb partitoin - system/work, and not using other 32gb of my hdd :) Mess ..

At least I'm not alone! :-(

I have 32MB Compact flash card as my boot drive.  I thought that would be perfect to hold the drivers.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 06:42:22 AM »
@mdma

Check this thread.  It should have the answers to your questions.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12451

Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 11:06:39 AM »

adolescent wrote:
@mdma

Cheers bud, I'll check it out when I get home.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 06:09:03 PM »

mdma wrote:

adolescent wrote:
@mdma

Cheers bud, I'll check it out when I get home.

Hmm, if I select use instead of save, i get just the one HDD listed in HDToolbox instead of 10, but after a reboot it lists ten again!!!  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:  :pissed:

Time to email Elbox support methinks.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 06:56:28 PM »
Save has never seemed to work - we've got an A1200T that has a FASTATA - here is the procedure that you need to follow every time you make changes to your hard disk in HDToolbox

1. Open Prefs
2. Double click on ATA3Prefs
3. Change drive to NOSPLIT
4. Click USE  *** NOT SAVE ***
5. Goto Tools drawer and open HDToolbox

Always do this every time before you make any changes to your hard disk.

The rule is if you originally prepped your hard disk in NOSPLIT mode - always change to NOSPLIT mode before repartioning etc by using the procedure above.

Disclaimer: we cannot be held liable for any consequential loss or data loss by following the advice.

www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline VooDoo

• Show only replies by VooDoo
    • http://www.voodoo-amiga.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 07:02:09 PM »
Here "save" option works good here but whit the last fastATA driver (v8.4 11.02.2005)!!
--
A1200 sandwich :)

uA1c/g3-800 mHz/512mb/160gb hdd/OS4.1 Final + upd #1 :-D :worship

MacMini G4 1.5ghz 1GB ram + MorphOS 3.9

Croatian Amiga portal

Offline Hizoap

• Show only replies by Hizoap
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 08:04:43 PM »

I never had any problems with the save option on my FastATA on my 1200 or my 4k. Check that you have the latest drivers.

When switching between split/nosplit I always use the save button and after that I go to HdToolbox and set up my drive.
Remember to save your setup in HdToolbox after you are finished. This always works for me.

When it comes to pio mode in your setup you would have to look at the specifications of the drive you have. Normally selection pio5 would leave you with a lot og read/write errors. Check that your drive supports pio5!!
0EE4-089E

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 05:16:55 PM »

amigakit wrote:
Save has never seemed to work - we've got an A1200T that has a FASTATA - here is the procedure that you need to follow every time you make changes to your hard disk in HDToolbox

1. Open Prefs
2. Double click on ATA3Prefs
3. Change drive to NOSPLIT
4. Click USE  *** NOT SAVE ***
5. Goto Tools drawer and open HDToolbox

Always do this every time before you make any changes to your hard disk.

The rule is if you originally prepped your hard disk in NOSPLIT mode - always change to NOSPLIT mode before repartioning etc by using the procedure above.

Thanks for that, but the drive was already prepped on a Pegasos with a 25MB boot partition (BI0:), and a 39.9GB system partition (DH0:).

I'm beginning to think i've lost my data already.  Ah well.. You live and learn! :-D

Disclaimer: we cannot be held liable for any consequential loss or data loss by following the advice.

It's a sign the world is getting ever more Americanised, when a British company has to say that. ;-)

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 05:20:48 PM »

Hizoap wrote:

I never had any problems with the save option on my FastATA on my 1200 or my 4k. Check that you have the latest drivers.

When switching between split/nosplit I always use the save button and after that I go to HdToolbox and set up my drive.
Remember to save your setup in HdToolbox after you are finished. This always works for me.

I only get the split/nosplit option if i load ata3prefs from Workbench with all the resident patches already loaded, which the manual says i shouldn't do.

When it comes to pio mode in your setup you would have to look at the specifications of the drive you have. Normally selection pio5 would leave you with a lot og read/write errors. Check that your drive supports pio5!!

My drive supports PIO5 according to ata3prefs, and also with "hdparm -I -i" under linux. :-(