Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UPDATE: FOUND the cause, but have NO idea WHY .. A new issue I have never seen..  (Read 2851 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: UPDATE: FOUND the cause, but have NO idea WHY .. A new issue I have never seen..
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 19, 2021, 03:22:39 PM »
One other thing it could be - from (I think 2.1) onwards, you had to add a clone directive to a copy command to preserve all the flags (like, file executable, editable, deletable, archived).

In old shell;-

COPY ALL DH0:/ Backuip:/Latestworkbench

Became

COPY DH0:/ BackupL/Latestworkbench CLONE

That could also a a factor here.

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_AmigaDOS_Command_Reference#COPY   <It's V4 but accurate for example
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Thomas

No, it couldn't. Flags are set when the copy process of the current file is finished. But the issue is that the copy process is trappend in an endless loop. So it does not reach the point where it can clone the flags.

Offline MalakieTopic starter

• 'Karma' doesn't choose. It just is! (2020 -T.B.)
    • Show only replies by Malakie
    • Streaming Channel (including Amiga stuff)
Bear in mind you have a scsi,device in the ROMs - and the 3.2 scsi.device in the Kickstart.

You can type "version scsi.device" to find out if it's V37 (WB 2 era) or V47 (I think that's right for 3.2).

V47 but good point to consider for others not aware of this issue!
Take it light...... :-D

Malakie

... Nah. The wrong version wouldn't boot at all.

I still reckon it's a buggy version 3 controller chip causing the issue.

On smaller (<128MB) drives nobody noticed, but when bigger drives arrived, people started having these sort of problems.

Even with V7 ROMs, there's a size limitation.

2.20 * Why does HDToolBox limit partitions on the A2091/A590 to 4 GB?

This happens because even the latest version 7.0 ROM for the A2091/A590 controller does not support partitions greater than 4GB.

HDToolBox will automatically limit the allocable drive capacity to 4GB. This is to protect users who may not have a file system supporting "SCSI Direct Transfer", or who don't know how to enable  this SCSI Direct option with the FastFileSystem.

However, if you feel confident that you have both, then you can override this protection by setting "LIMIT_4GBYTE=OFF" in the HDToolBox's Tool Types. Another option is to purchase the latest version of the third-party GuruROM upgrade for the A2091/A590.

From;-
http://aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.2-FAQ.txt

I think you are right and what has been in my head now for a the last few days.. I have tried every trick I can think of from back in the day when I was with Commodore to the stuff you all have suggested.  That only leaves one possible option.  The 7.x and higher are supposed to support 4 GB+ but there is a bug that is not allowing the copy process to complete properly.   In some ways, it is almost like it is too fast copying files so that it is not able to validate or clear its buffer quickly enough on each file.

It acts like it gets into a buffer lock sometimes, other times it loops until the file increases the size to fill the entire HD.

I have been reducing the size of the partitions.  Down to 2 GB now and still seeing the problem.   Ironically, on the other machine that has older slow mechanical HD's, I have seen this as well but rarely and only if I try to copy a large amount of files at the same time.

But I don't think the size limit is the problem.  This HD is 540 meg, I also have a 270meg and a 4 gb hd partitioned into two 2gb partitions..  I am using 2 gb CF cards if I also plug those in.   I Have 3 sets of 7.0 roms, a 6.6 and an 8.0 version (unreleased).    I have four A2091 cards.  All exhibit this issue under OS 3.2 and the 3.2 kickstart installed.  If I drop to 2.04, I have to use smaller partitions but this problem disappears.

Malakie

One other thing it could be - from (I think 2.1) onwards, you had to add a clone directive to a copy command to preserve all the flags (like, file executable, editable, deletable, archived).

In old shell;-

Became

https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_AmigaDOS_Command_Reference#COPY   <It's V4 but accurate for example

That should be automatic.   But remember, this also happens with WB copy drag and drop, DOPUS and a couple other tools I tried and of course shell copy.

Malakie

Offline Pat the Cat

In old shell;-

Became

That should be automatic.   But remember, this also happens with WB copy drag and drop, DOPUS and a couple other tools I tried and of course shell copy.

I forgot the ALL from the 2nd example.

And no, I didn't find it automatic, I wondered why none of my Workbench backup programs would execute without the CLONE switch.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi