Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE  (Read 1931 times)

Description:

Offline GwionTopic starter

• Show only replies by Gwion
    • http://www.freewebs.com/commodoreamiga
WinUAE
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:28 PM »
Hi is there a way to make my PC just run WinUAE. I want it to be like Amithlon. So i will turn on my PC and Just load straight to Workbench and not see any windows stuff.
Desperate To Get An Amiga 1200!

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
Re: WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:00:51 AM »
The AmigaForever CD will autoboot on a PC and just load up Winue without the windows crap  :idea:

Dave G  8-)

Offline GwionTopic starter

• Show only replies by Gwion
    • http://www.freewebs.com/commodoreamiga
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:06:01 AM »
So could i just transfer the Amiga Forever files on2 a blank hardisk and it would load?
Desperate To Get An Amiga 1200!

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:17:55 AM »
If you've got the original Forever CD why not just stick that in your PC and reboot into it?

There's one (2006 I think) on Fleabay at the minute for £12 + P&P

Dave G  8-)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »
Actually, the booting from the Amiga Forever CD I think is into E-UAE running on top of Linux, not WinUAE on top of Windows, but it will get you running an emulated Amiga from boot on a PC, and that is what the original poster was after I think.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:36:29 AM »
You could replace the explorer with WinUAE (there are several ways to do it, most require some registery tweaking).

You'd still see the windows loading up, however. If you really want to, you could replace the windows boot picture and do other cosmetic tuning aswell.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:44:26 AM »
I'd suggest not replacing the shell, just run it as a startup item with a customised WinUAE config.  This way, you still have Explorer if you need to exit WinUAE (for upgrades, file operations, etc.)  

Once you're in WinUAE there are a couple of packages that allow some interoperability with Windows (running executables, etc.)  I've never tried them myself, as I don't run WinUAE a lot.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Lonewolf10

• Show only replies by Lonewolf10
    • http://www.geocities.com/aliensrcooluk
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:46:01 AM »

Yeah, it's probably best to leave Explorer running, that way you can access the following whilst in WinUAE:

CD/DVD drive
USB Memory sticks (just discovered that this week)
Any attached printers

There's probably a few other things too, but I mainly use WinUAE to get my AMOS Basic programming fix. I do occasionally play games and other stuff too, just not right now.

BTW, I am currently running WinUAE 1.44 (was going to upgrade to 1.5 tonight, but the site appears to be down).

Regards,
Lonewolf10

Offline amigakidd

• Show only replies by amigakidd
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
That's why its called WinUAE. It's UAE for Windows.
Microsoft isn't that evil company we used to think of them a couple of years ago. MS is going towards more of cloud based computing and things are changing after Bill Gates left.

Who is the next evil giant: Apple. They are reaching their double digit peak soon due to popularity of OS X and the iPhone/iPod. Windows owns 92% and their market share is going down gradually as time goes on. I just happen to like PCs since I grew up around them along with macs. I use leopard at work, but I prefer XP (not Vista) as my OS of choice, because WinUAE is fast on it. Plus, I'm the geeky type, Macs don't cut it for me.

To WinUAE fans like myself, there could come a time when Cloanto could just develop for Mac and leave Windows as the second class citzen and it could be MacUAE instead of WinUAE. As time marches on, as long as I have my Kickstart ROMs, I'm happy to run them in any system along with my Amiga games. Shadow of the Beast :)~~
WinUAE enthusiast.

Curious about: Amiga OS, Morph OS, X-Amiga, Amikit, Amiga Forever, WinUAE, Efika, Minimig,
and other forms Amiga-like Computers.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »
Uh, I still see MS as a monopolist with some dirty tricks up the sleeve. Bill Gates had nothing to with it; it's typical monopolist behaviour. And frankly I think Steve Ballmer is worse than Bill Gates.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 05:19:26 PM »
@amigakidd

Are you an Amiga fan or a WinUAE fan?
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Offline amigakidd

• Show only replies by amigakidd
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
Both. But I think WinUAE and Amiga Forever is the best thing that happened to the Amiga Community recently this decade. Why? Nothing new is coming out from Amiga Inc, then virtualization is the future of computing as far as emulation goes. As a far a types of Amiga fanboyism goes: There are Amiga Forever Fans, WinUAE, MorphOS, AROS, X-Amiga, and the original Amiga fans. The Amiga family tree has grown in the last 10 years thanks to the Web.

I have a broken A500 I bought back in 2002. Kept it for Nostalgia. Instead of eBay, I looked for a solution to play Amiga games. I found out about WinUAE and AF.
But I like WinUAE because it integrates well with Amiga Forever. I want to thank Michael Battialana at Cloanto for this.

I'm just a big fan of Cloanto, they do things great.
Many of you Amiga die hards may disagree, but Cloanto is
doing more than Amiga Inc. (Bill McEwen)

But to answer your question: I belong in the Amiga Forever/WinUAE fanboy category. Hey you guys can use any Amiga system you want. I'm just saying I love AF/WinUAE. :-)
WinUAE enthusiast.

Curious about: Amiga OS, Morph OS, X-Amiga, Amikit, Amiga Forever, WinUAE, Efika, Minimig,
and other forms Amiga-like Computers.

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree about Cloanto, as Amiga Inc does nothing except pay some lawyers!

Offline MozzerFan

• Show only replies by MozzerFan
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 01:54:33 AM »

Lonewolf10 wrote:

Yeah, it's probably best to leave Explorer running, that way you can access the following whilst in WinUAE:

CD/DVD drive
USB Memory sticks (just discovered that this week)
Any attached printers

I'm running WinUAE as a replacement for explorer.exe myself and have absolutely no problem accessing my CD drive, usb-sticks etc. If you do have problems accessing these when replacing explorer, there must be something wrong with your config files.
EDIT: explorer.exe is nothing more than a graphical user interface. You can compare it with loadwb on the amiga.
The drivers for cd/dvd drives, usb etc. are NOT loaded through explorer.exe. You can replace it by any program you like.

Regards,
Lloyd

Offline MozzerFan

• Show only replies by MozzerFan
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:23:33 PM »

adolescent wrote:
I'd suggest not replacing the shell, just run it as a startup item with a customised WinUAE config.  This way, you still have Explorer if you need to exit WinUAE (for upgrades, file operations, etc.)  

When you replace explorer.exe and you exit winuae, you can still start explorer.exe by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and starting explorer.exe manually.

Regards,
Lloyd