Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tomb raider for the Amiga?  (Read 8356 times)

Description:

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
Re: Tomb raider for the Amiga?
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:31:37 PM »
i saw a demo once just a bare 3d engine demo that had a laura croft 3dmesh running it was very basic with very simple textures but it ran on a base 1200.
nothing ever came of it though.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:36:12 PM »

Piru wrote:
Even if they were, it would not be legal.

port anything you want it is legal but try to sell it and it isnt. they are porting windows to linux with wine etc. but it is all free and done in accordance with the law, same with aros
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 11:49:07 PM »
you dont neccisarily have to have the source code to port something, all you need to do it produce code that reproduces the functionality of the original.
if you made a game engine that could use all the same data files etc. as the original tomb raider it would effectively be a port. and potentially a legal one. some programmers made an executale for unreal tournament that ran on linux and used all the original data files that worked so well the game publishers actually recommended it for linux users, of course you had to buy the game to get the data files unless you only played mods
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:39:41 PM »
piru

source code is actually a very small part of porting any software but especially games. it isnt as simple as just recomiling the source. it almost always has to be at least partially rewritten.
the original linux executable (which became official after testing etc) can be found on several sites. it was not developed by the original developer.
there are lots of games which have been "ported" or "reimplemented" or whatever you want to call it from doom, to quake.
what exactly would be your definition of a port or reimplementation. a program which allows a game to be played on non-original hardware without emulation would be my definition.
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline KThunder

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:09:44 PM »
or someone could make an iso view tombraider game

i started on a quake2 iso game engine that would take simple quake2 levels and convert them to iso levels. it was a bit too much though. the iso converter would have taken a really long time to render a level. i looked at doom sources and stuff once that might have worked a bit better...

hmmmm
Oh yeah?!?
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)