Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.  (Read 14621 times)

Description:

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
Re: Adult conversation about this whole EULA issue.
« on: August 21, 2003, 07:53:34 PM »
Well, I can still honestly say I don't see where he's threatening end users about suing for breach of EULA. Come on, noone would be that stupid.

On the other hand, Genesi are marketing an OS3.9 bundle with no license. How well do you think that would go down with Apple? Must be a reason why Genesi aren't bundling OSX, eh? But AmigaInc aren't as strong as Apple, so who cares if Genesi screw them, right?

If Bill McEwen mentioning the fact that there is such a statement in the EULA is dispicable, I would say Genesi bundling with no license is horrible. No matter if it was paid for or not, they are actively tricking users into breaching an EULA, one that might very well be legally binding in the users home country. Do tell me how this is such a good idea?

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 09:52:49 PM »
You don't get it, do you MarkTime?

Noone is saying anything about _copying_ OSX. You install it on a computer that just not happens to be Apple branded. As an end user here in Norway, if I wanted to do this, there is very little Apple could do, afaik. Because it's very tricky for them to dictate how I must use their product. I paid for the right to USE it, not for the right to use it only ever full moon after having sacrificed a virgin goat. Or would have, had I had any interest in OSX.

But I would not advice bundling OSX with non-Apple hardware even though it was paid for. Because tricking end users into breaking a contract is not a good idea.

Same with Genesi/OS3.9. They don't claim to have an official license to bundle this.

@All:
I remember a few weeks ago there was all sorts of #### stirred up about Eyetech shipping UAE and Magic Packs with AmigaOnes. How can that be bad while this is good, btw?

Btw: I admit to running OS3.5 on non-Amiga branded hardware. But as it came with kickstart 3.1 in ROM I don't think I'm really up #### creek, at least not without a ladder or other means of getting down :-P

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 10:12:36 PM »
Seriously, there's nothing in my upbringing(sp?) that makes me think of _using_ OSX or UAE/3.9/Magic Packs or 3.5 on an Access or bits of 3.9 on a Pegasos _if I have gone out and paid for it_.

No, I'm serious. I do not think I would go to hell for using OSX on non-apple hardware.

I do find the idea of advertising/bundling to trick people into breaking the EULA questionable, though. I'm not saying unethical, but I question it, AmigaInc are saying it's illegal, Genesi says it's ok because they have a license (I presume they mean they paid for it).

Btw: I'm not anti-EULA per se(sp?), I am just saying there are certain points in some EULAs that do NOT stick either when tried in court certain places, OR when tried against the old ten commandments (which I do try to live by, btw. Even if I do kill the odd moose and download the odd episode of SG1).

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 01:30:28 PM »
Eeek. After having played around with 3.5 on my Access board I wouldn't touch anything below 3.9 with a 40 foot pole ;-)

It's the SMALL things that make the BIG difference. Ironic, but imho true. :-P

Offline olegil

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 03:47:26 PM »
@Wolfe and whoever you replied to:

Well, that's all nice, but my real point was NOT that Genesi  are in breach of the EULA. I wrote that it's questionable because they're effectively tricking end users into breaking it. Why aren't anyone commenting on this? I must be either dead right or dead wrong, I'm thinking.