Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BSD  (Read 2686 times)

Description:

Offline Crispy_Beef

• Show only replies by Crispy_Beef
Re: BSD
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2003, 12:45:53 PM »
FreeBSD is probably one of the most stable operating systems around, and as such is extremely well suited for server applications (web, email etc.).  I manage a few *BSD servers and once configured and running properly they don't cause any problems.

Setting them up is easy enough too (even for beginners), all you need to do is follow the install guide on freebsd.org and you won't go far wrong.  Really the only prerequisite for installing is the ability to read. ;-)

Also run a couple of Linux boxes too.  Even though both systems are different, the end user once up and running really won't notice too much difference unless they start to dig.  The major difference people will probably notice though is the different methods distros have of installing software.  Good examples are Portage (Gentoo) and apt-get on Debian.
-- Crispy

Offline gnarly

• Show only replies by gnarly
    • http://thinkdrastic.net/
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 12:58:58 PM »

Floid wrote:
-Darwin:  You're nuts.
What about MacOS-X? ;-)
Cheers,

Olly
Think Drastic

Offline ChromiesTopic starter

• Show only replies by Chromies
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 05:37:58 PM »
How's configuring the net on it? and do u think it will run on a p2 266 laptop with 160 megs of ram?

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2003, 06:33:30 PM »

How's configuring the net on it? and do u think it will run on a p2 266 laptop with 160 megs of ram?

I've only had net access from a FreeBSD install through a network card, which was easy to set up (auto detect and then obvious TCP/IP configuration that didn't involve text file editing :-)), so I don't know about dialup.

As for the 160MB RAM bit, it depends what you're going to do with it.  You could probably run FreeBSD with 4MB RAM.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2003, 06:44:02 PM »

Chromies wrote:

Okay, I guess I never posted my second rant on the subject - in short, it's the 'other' flavor of 'UNIX' - Linux copied the AT&T SVR4? methodologies in a lot of places, modern BSD is a straight descendent of the Berkeley branch of UNIX that was a heavy modification of older AT&T/USL/whoever-the-heck's sources.  So yes, it feels a lot like UNIX - it's a very close relative, though the developers respect the Open Group and don't go marketing it under the trademark - while something like BeOS, or even Linux is, well, BeOS and Linux.  There's not quite the 'genetic relationship;' Linux does a particularly good job of cloning and extending, which is great... Be was definitely off doing its own thing.  If you want to argue how "close" one thing is to anything else.  (In particular, you wind up using many of the same shells, same XFree86, same window managers and desktop environments, and same grep/awk/sed/tar... tools on BSD and Linux, though some of the basic stuff might be different from the GNU variants and vice-versa.)

BSD gets a server reputation solely because none of the distros focus much on setting up XFree86 and desktop environments (GNOME/KDE) out of the box.  (FreeBSD sysinstall does offer the option; I can't say I've ever trusted it. ;))  That's really the only difference, and once you know what you're doing, it's trivial to install such packages after the fact.  (Though when you look at the bloat, you may not want to.)  There's also a little less support for desktop 'esoterics' like video capture cards, but that's mostly a factor of attention, and as more people get annoyed and write code, more support's submitted.  With fewer people in general, there are fewer people spending their time tackling braindead hardware or uncooperative manufacturers (and less impetus for manufacturers to get off their butts and stop being braindead in 'our' direction vs. the more popular Linux)...

Meanwhile, OS X is pretty okay, "I guess."  They've done a fair-to-middling job, they've done some stuff I like, they've done a number of things I find rather braindead, and from my angle, it's not much fun to use it as a UNIX.  (The 'power' is there, few of the conveniences for doing UNIX-type things are; you have to go out of your way to install whatever Fink needs, for instance, and since their kernel (kernel-on-kernel?) is of fairly insane structure and untested, it's not been as stable as an old, boring, monolithic Linux/BSD in my experience... and while the NeXTianisms are cool, it does mean you need a good background in NeXTland to really do 'UNIX-like tasks' - user management, starting network/system services and such - out of the box.)  Enjoy it as a Mac, enjoy it for having 'the power of UNIX' on a Mac...

...but there's just no reason to install Darwin on its lonesome unless you *really* have a reason for it.  (Poor x86 hardware support, wonky architecture in general, Apple bureaucracy around the whole thing.)  Now, if your reason is to do some serious kernel hacking or otherwise help out (maybe you like Apple?), go ahead, but it's not what I'd call a sane introduction to *NIX when there are other distros out there to run.  It takes a strong man to make a tender Macintosh.

--

Okay, as to comfort on a P2-266, sure!  Your RAM is fine; you'll probably want at least 2gb disk (which you no-doubt have), 4gb for comfort with FreeBSD.  Any of the distros should run fine on that hardware, but you should keep in mind that the BSD philosophy tends to revolve around compiling source.  You'll find most software in 'Ports' (or 'pkgsrc' on NetBSD) - "we"'re where Gentoo got the idea.  When it comes to waiting for XFree86 or KDE, however, a 266 is going to feel a little slow, so pick a distro that has the stuff you want available as precompiled binary 'packages.'  (FreeBSD maintains binary packages for nearly everything you could want to run; OpenBSD has a few - but also has a relatively small collection of 'desktop' ware available in general; NetBSD maintains a good many as well - ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6.1/i386 as example - but they may not be updated as often because of the slower release cycle.  They do have a -latest directory, which might prove me wrong.)

From there, you'll find that BSDs generally fit *better* on old hardware, since you're not expected to run something like KDE or Gnome by default (which you might find rather pokey and RAM-gobbling on a machine of your spec), let alone XFree86 at all, and you can assemble your installation as you see fit.

On the Linux front, Gentoo, Debian (if you can figure out how to drive it; I found *BSD *easier* in comparison, which is how I ended up here), and Slackware seem to have the same methodologies.  RedHat, Mandrake, Lycoris and so on will spoil you with more preconfiguration and shiny management tools on fresh hardware, but if all you're doing is pointing-and-clicking distro-specific tools, you aren't really 'learning' the underlying system anyway.

Think of the friendlier Linux distros as PCs with Win3.x preloads.  Convenient, easy, but they can trick you into coasting along with no idea how to handle it when things break.  (Or with no realization of how hairy the underlying system is - that goes for both Linux *and* BSD; the more people who notice stupid things, the better chance they get corrected.  Meanwhile, to raise a gripe about OS X, there seems to be some rare but heavily destructive bug in the power-management cycle not fixed in any update to 10.1.  My cousin's iBook has been out of comission for a few months, since I'm loathe to sit through another reinstall and have the Finder corrupt beyond recovery in another week - it's unclear if 10.2 ever fixed it, and since he doesn't use it beyond a status symbol, might as well wait to pay for 10.3 and have a better chance.  Apple, meanwhile, has nothing to say about the problem; out in real open-sourceland, you can at least track your bug report and any developer-list discussion.)

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2003, 06:44:26 PM »
Setting them up is easy enough too (even for beginners), all you need to do is follow the install guide on freebsd.org and you won't go far wrong. Really the only prerequisite for installing is the ability to read.

But i doubt it say anything about how much space each package uses? That was my  prob, i keep running out of space, since the HD was pretty small.. Ive never had that prob with linux, since all modern distros shows how much space is needed for the install, also gives you a warning if you are infact too low on space.

Offline Floid

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2003, 06:53:32 PM »

mikeymike wrote:

I've only had net access from a FreeBSD install through a network card, which was easy to set up (auto detect and then obvious TCP/IP configuration that didn't involve text file editing :-)), so I don't know about dialup.

One important detail I left out - if you go FreeBSD, you want the latest release in the 4.x ("stable") branch.  Right now, 5.x, like Darwin, is one of those things you shouldn't run quite yet unless you can speak confidently on why you'd want to.  (That said, 5.2 should go "stable."  That's coming in another month or four, I'm not sure if there's a timetable.)

To the issue at hand - no BSD installer supports PPP off the boot floppies.  You *can* do a net-install if you have a LAN connected to a dialup link by another computer/router; I imagine this would be painful with FreeBSD for a few reasons, but I've done it with OpenBSD.

After the install, dialup is as easy as editing /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and figuring out if you want to run 'ppp myisp -auto' (or -ddial, or whatever...) at boot, and/or whether you want to configure it so you don't have to run it as root.  Most ISPs support PAP these days, so no fiddling with confusing logon scripts.

Offline Floid

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 07:01:11 PM »

Tomas wrote:
Setting them up is easy enough too (even for beginners), all you need to do is follow the install guide on freebsd.org and you won't go far wrong. Really the only prerequisite for installing is the ability to read.

But i doubt it say anything about how much space each package uses? That was my  prob, i keep running out of space, since the HD was pretty small.. Ive never had that prob with linux, since all modern distros shows how much space is needed for the install, also gives you a warning if you are infact too low on space.
Told you it was 'quirky.'  As far as I remember, Debian is (or at least used to be) about as bad.

Install the bare minimum (lynx, wget, anything else you know you'll need to get online) from sysinstall, and get the rest from ftp.freebsd.org (and install using good old pkg_add) after you complete the installation.

DragonFly BSD is going to attempt to tackle the task of a less-braindead installer.  If they lead by example, FreeBSD might pick their idea up.  (Still, they're going to require the ability to burn/boot CDs to run *theirs.*)

As to sysinstall's options for the base sets themselves... Yes, they're a little ridiculous for a new user to try to handle.  If you've installed the base and manual pages, chances are there's not much that you'll miss (that can't be installed at a later time if you miss it!).

Do install the compilers, though.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2003, 10:49:51 PM »
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2003, 02:23:09 AM »

Seehund wrote:

Chromies wrote:
... so can anyone tell me how bsd is?

It's dying. ;)

:lol:
this space for rent

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2003, 02:24:28 AM »

> According to Netcraft, FreeBSD (X86) is growing …

I think he was just doing a slashdot parody
this space for rent

Offline Crispy_Beef

• Show only replies by Crispy_Beef
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2003, 02:33:44 AM »
What Floid said...  ;-)
-- Crispy

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2003, 07:38:19 AM »

mikeymike wrote:
@ iamaboringperson
BSD is good, but it is probably more for hardcore computer users than is Linux.

It would be useful if you justified what you're saying with something useful the original poster might be able to relate to.
its a real pain to configure

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2003, 07:40:30 AM »
@MrZammler
Okay, not everybody will do as I stated above.

However each camp has its fans. Each team will tell you theirs is the best.

The only reall way to know is to test both IMO. Test a number of distributions. :-)

Offline Floid

« Reply #28 from previous page: September 17, 2003, 02:18:22 PM »

iamaboringperson wrote:
its a real pain to configure

Seriously, care to give examples?  It'd help the original poster out.

The happy-fun distros (Mandrake, RHAT, SuSE) all have spent some effort on GUI-ish tools to shelter the user.  (Hey, YaST was great - although close to FreeBSD sysinstall in retrospect - until it somehow became ridiculously slow with... Hm, whatever version I bought shrinkwrap three years ago.)

Of course, 'sheltering' does mean you don't notice/can't take into account what's going on 'under the hood.'  Which is great when it works fine, but can always bite you Win3.11-style later.  Now if we're comparing Debian/Gentoo/Slack, that'd be an honest comparison, and it's always good to know what one team's got better or worse.

Some things are also just subjective.  I had horrible luck with 'make menuconfig' back in the Linux 2.2 days.  Copying a BSD 'GENERIC' flat-textfile, inserting a few new lines (with help from 'LINT,' though that's gone messy for FreeBSD 5.x), and 'make buildkernel' / 'make installkernel' is easy for me in comparison.  Plenty of other people *do* freak out at the BSD methodology, and I can't say I understand why (any more than I can understand why they expected me to find the menuconfig hierarchy 'easy.' ;))

One other small advantage of BSD is that system libraries can be less mobile targets.  Usually.  And when running Linux binaries, getting the latest glibc (or whatever the heck Peercast was breaking on) can be as easy as 'pkg_delete linux-base; cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux-base-8; make install clean.'  ;-)