Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out  (Read 4275 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: PS4 developers tell us what makes the system stand out
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;752728
Heck, now that they are cheap, I might just buy an XBOX360 to hack around with and experiment with homebrew software.
I'd consider that with a PS3, but Sony really skimped on the XDR memory in that console.

There always seemed to be more homebrew for the PS3 than xbox 360 and it's generally easier to hack (as long as the PS3 hasn't had it's firmware updated past 3.55)

Offline psxphill

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
Quote from: hazydave;758490
The Dreamcast was at least an improvement, but Sega did such a crappy job on the Saturn, they never recovered. The Saturn had more processor chips than Nintendo or Sony had chips in their system... it was under-powered and yet more expensive to make than the competition.

In terms of hardware design Sony got it right in the PS1 and wrong in the PS2, Sega got it wrong in the Saturn and right in the Dreamcast. The Saturn probably has more games that I'd want to play than the Dreamcast though.

Piracy killed the Dreamcast, every single console out there could play pirated games when kalisto released their boot cd. After they fixed the problem in new consoles the PS2 hit and demand for new consoles dropped to zero.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;758508
Actually, back during the Dreamcast days, Sega (the old Sega) put out an open letter to the community (which I swear I still have a copy of somewhere), that stated that they were not concerned about piracy, that's why they didn't put any security within the system itself, because they did not feel that piracy was a threat considering that most of the general public is made up of consumers that had no idea how to bootleg a Dreamcast disc in the first place. Secondly, they said that the piracy scene only served to advertise the Dreamcast by word of mouth.

That would have been more believable if they hadn't then produced a dreamcast that couldn't boot Mil-CD discs.

But the truth is they went to the effort of putting security in there, they just misjudged that Mil-CD would be an effective way of getting round it.

It would be like Nintendo/Sony saying the same thing about playing games off DVD-R by using the DVD video exploits (unmodified Wii & PS2 can both read burnt DVD-R by fooling it into thinking it's a DVD Video).