Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Madrake Linux on Amiga ONE?  (Read 1875 times)

Description:

Offline mbillaTopic starter

• Show only replies by mbilla
Madrake Linux on Amiga ONE?
« on: March 20, 2003, 08:19:43 AM »
Hi
Has anybody got Madrake PPC Linux running on the Amiga ONE?

Why MAdrake? Well compared to the otehr Linuxes it's a charm to install and has many options and features. And I'm used to it. And it's got 2500 programms to play with :-)

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
Re: Madrake Linux on Amiga ONE?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 09:03:40 AM »
The Mandrake installer does not have support for the AmigaOne.

Debian got support because Ross rewrote the installer.
YDL got support because Bill from MAI rewrote that installer.
SuSE got support because the Friedens made a pre-installer that sets up what SuSE doesn't understand, then you can run the SuSE installer afterwards.

So until someone takes the time to fix Mandrake, installing it will NOT be a cakewalk in a fishy park-salad. As it were.

Have you tried Debian? As a Debian user I kinda feel 2500 programs sounds a bit small  :-P

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 11:54:07 AM »
So until someone takes the time to fix Mandrake, installing it will NOT be a cakewalk in a fishy park-salad. As it were.

Is there not a German programmer who ported over the PPC MAC installers for all LINUXes (Mandrake too) for PPC cards for the AMIGA?

Have you tried Debian? As a Debian user I kinda feel 2500 programs sounds a bit small

I thought DEBIAN wasn't up too date with all the libraries as is SUSE or Mandrake.
2500 progs is user progs not progs concerning LINUX.
I have bought Mandrake for my Wifes PC which has StarOFFICE and OpenOffice (Debian and RED HAT  too) included. Oh yes there's also this Mega big DB from IBM.
Bye Manou

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 12:02:06 PM »
Mandrake Linux is currently in bankruptcy protection  at the moment, I hardly doubt they have the time or resources to work on an installer for the AmigaOne.  (read back on Slashdot for the story...)

So there.  Blech.  :P~~

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 04:45:15 PM »
Debian is easier to maintain anyway

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 05:14:02 PM »
I think the Mandrake LINUX will continue to be developed: Mandrake as a company is in bankruptcy protection for now, but sales are OK and they do even make money.

On the other hand Mandrake doesn't do the port to Amiga PPC as wont do SUSE, RED HAT, DEBIAN etc.
They just do a PPC port for the MAC but SUSE already gave up on this one. Mandrake 9.1 can be preordered now.
They do have a PPC version. Only the installer needs to be adapted to the AMIGA.
Someone in Germany did so.

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 08:51:25 PM »
Uhm, you seem a bit confused. If you run Debian _stable_ (currently Woody, aka Debian 3.0) you're NOT going to get the newest and hottest. This is because things generally need a year or two to be deemed worthy of the title _stable_. So as a user with no 99.9999999% uptime critical server applications running, you should NOT EVER EVER EVER run the stable distribution :-D  :-P

Normal people with more than 45 minutes of Linux experience should ALWAYS go for the testing branch of Debian. This is where all the things that seems to work, but needs more testing before it can be released as "24/7 uptime critical server ####". I personally never go below "unstable", which gives me access to XFree 4.3, gcc 3.2.3, glibc 2.3.1 etc. I don't see how that makes my system "no up to date". ENOUGH WITH THE ####ING FUD, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. CHECK YOUR FACTS BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT ANOTHER DISTRO. I make a rule of never saying anything bad about other peoples choices. I just say that I would personally never change away from Debian now that I know how it works. Because I get that same feeling as from AmigaOS. I know what's going on! ;-)