Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PowerPC: Motorola Looking for Buyer  (Read 2005 times)

Description:

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
Re: PowerPC: Motorola Looking for Buyer
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 11, 2003, 01:05:37 AM »
@heimert

By that comment, you've already shown that you lack any knowledge in this area.

The XScale ARM-compatable processor is derived from the StrongARM which Intel aquired from DEC shortly before it was bought out by Compaq.  (Along with several fabs in the deal)  When Intel purchased it, they closed-down their existing embedded lineups.  Now, why did they do that?

Same reasons I gave above.  They didn't want to compete with themselves.  They saw that StrongARM could be made to cater to their existing audience far easier than it would have been to cater their existing chips to StrongARM's audience.  So they canned their own lineup for this newly aquired source.

Intel's only failing is with the high-end Itanium.  They gambled too strongly on it succeeding x86 rapidly, so they could abandon their aged platform.  But things did not work out as planned for them, and Management is not willing to admit the mistake.  This could be the first step in Intel repeating the mistakes of Motorola here.
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2003, 02:08:27 AM »
The writing is on a wall when Motorola abandoned their 68K customers (e.g. Atari, Commodore, Capcom, Sega, and many others) and forces them to migrate to another CPU platform. Most of 68k customers are only a shadow of their former greatness.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2003, 02:15:18 AM »
Crap, you 68k losers won't let go will ya?

Offline Hammer

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 02:35:57 AM »
AMD might make a good owner.

The 64bit MIPS family is their chosen CPU for their alternative/backup CPU family.  AMD markets thier MIPS lines under 'Alchemy'.

I don’t think AMD is in position to spend on yet another big expense. It’s more likely they may licence PowerPC ISA IF there is a large abandoned Motorola PowerPC customers.    

I don’t know IF IBM wants to rebuild their multi-source PowerPC market place regime via AMD.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2003, 02:39:09 AM »
Crap, you 68k losers won't let go will ya?

End results speak for their selves.

Offline heimert

• Show only replies by heimert
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2003, 03:58:08 AM »
@downix
I find it strange that you can determine my knowledge in analysing market strategies by reading two centences that doesn't contain a single word about it, but hey, you're the marketing guru, right?

btw: my comment was meant as a joke rather than an argument against your posting (hence the smiley).