Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New to Amiga...some questions  (Read 2049 times)

Description:

Offline ZildjianmeisterTopic starter

• Show only replies by Zildjianmeister
Re: New to Amiga...some questions
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 09, 2009, 01:44:43 PM »
Wow...so many replies!  Thanks for the information everyone! I know exactly where to go when I finally do get an Amiga and need some assistance. Everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable here.

I just need to reread all the postings and let it all absorb. :)  When I figure out what items/package I'm going to get I'll post back with my list to make sure I got everything down correctly.  

The most confusing thing for me was the whole PAL/NTSC thing. I think everyone's pretty much cleared that up for me.  I was hoping to have the option to hook up the Pal 1200 to one of my old tube tv's due to space concerns.  But if the Indivision works well with lcd's that would work.  Ability to use tv would be a nice option though if the Pal version would work here in the states.  

@Karlos - Yes.  I tried the other brands but the Zildjians always worked well for me.  Plus I like the big Z I have on the ride cymbal. :lol:

Thanks again everyone!  I'll post back soon.

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »
Hello and welcome,

Since this is a classic forum, you've been given classic answers.

As myself always trying to catch-up (when possible), I can bring on MiniMig here.  That's just a tiny remake of A500+.  It has no keyboard, only an SD slot for games and other ports for input and output.  It is pretty inexpensive (as for new Amiga hardware!!!) - below 200 Eur I guess.  So this is if you wanted to have a device that reimplements ECS and is brand new.

Also if you own a Windows Mobile Classic or Pro device, try PocketUAE.  If not, if you're a happy s60 Nokia owner, check out UAE4ALL (see the link below).  These all are UAEs working on cell phones or WM palmtops.

Hope this helps to widen the scope.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline Cammy

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 02:13:41 AM »
The MiniMig is a great option for people just getting into, or back into Amigas. Since all your games can be stored on a single SD card, there's no annoying floppy-swapping nonsense, and it plugs into any VGA/LCD monitor! That way you don't worry about PAL/NTSC. Great idea, DiskDoctor.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline tone007

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 03:22:57 AM »
...but it doesn't smell like an Amiga.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Cammy

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 04:02:31 AM »
Yes, the MiniMig doesn't smell like leaking capacitors and RTC batteries.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline ZildjianmeisterTopic starter

• Show only replies by Zildjianmeister
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Well I looked over all the replies and digested all of it. I think. :)

I'm looking at a new(old) stock 1200 with the indivision adapter, upgrade in RAM, and IDE-CF adapter w compact flash card. Sounds a little cleaner than with a HD. Being able to load everything straight from cf card is nice. I have an extra lcd so hoping that would work but if not I can dig up a crt monitor.

or

a Minimig with the updated RAM. Would have to somehow find the kickstart roms for the minimig and probably a case that I saw online. I saw there are AGA games but soon realized they were only able to play on the 1200. But I didn't really know about AGA games until I researched so the minimig would probably be fine as well.

Decisions decisions......