Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odyssey Web Browser Public Source Code Repository  (Read 15365 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Odyssey Web Browser Public Source Code Repository
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 11:02:57 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;801695
Why not just fill a bug report to the webkit team, they should fix what they broke right?
Kamelito

certainly, the big endian users have the highest priority with them. thats why they have practically abandoned to support this byte order. similarly why not complain with mesa/gallium team.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 01:22:33 AM »
Quote from: kamelito;801695
Why not just fill a bug report to the webkit team, they should fix what they broke right?
Kamelito

Fab did and was told iirc "we don't even own a ppc machine so you'll need to do it yourself"
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Acill

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 03:53:08 AM »
What a damn shame. PPC had an amazing browser on MOS and its dead in the water now because of silly things like this. What about a 68k solution? Same issue?
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline radzik

• Show only replies by radzik
    • http://radzikowski.ovh.org
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
In this situation or we must do it in our community or maybe jump to other base?
I wrote a small test of Qupzilla, browser for QT: http://www.amigapodcast.com/2015/11/qupzilla-for-amigaos.html. Maybe this is a solution?
Or jump into Firefox, but our sources I think are completely outdated.
At the end of all we must have solution of this problems for NG systems.
Amiga 2000 2 MB Chip ECS, Blizzard 2060/60 MHz 128 MB Fast, Picasso II+, Deneb USB, 160 GB & DVD-RW / OS 3.9
Amiga 1200, Blizzard PPC 233/040 256 MB Fast, BVision / OS4.0, OS3.9,  MOS 1.45

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
Odyssey is not the only option per se, but the question remains the same: who is going to do the work?
This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Offline utri007

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 10:52:52 AM »
Would it be stubid move to start supporting Netsurf? Not just one port, I mean whole Project? Netsurf is developed for nieche platforms and I could imagine it would be a good thing many ways? At least some problems what devs get with webkit, becuase it is major player would be history. I would bet that there will not be endian issue with it ever. There is a team and this way it wouldn't be too much for just a one people.

There is a HTML5 parser on the works http://www.netsurf-browser.org/projects/hubbub/
Java is partially working already etc.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline BSzili

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
Netsurf is great for platforms with limited resources, but hardly suitable for modern browsing needs. For example the JavaScript support is still in its infancy, it has no support for HTML5 video, etc. On NG it would be a huge step backwards even compared the outdated Odyssey 1.23.

Offline radzik

• Show only replies by radzik
    • http://radzikowski.ovh.org
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 11:44:03 AM »
That's why I'm thinking to make one team beyond division to make one browser for all. Than community can support team through bounty or donations every year. Of course we must ask developers to join team for example deadwood, Fab, kas1e? Or you if you want?

If not Odyssey what other browser could be ported to NG systems?
Amiga 2000 2 MB Chip ECS, Blizzard 2060/60 MHz 128 MB Fast, Picasso II+, Deneb USB, 160 GB & DVD-RW / OS 3.9
Amiga 1200, Blizzard PPC 233/040 256 MB Fast, BVision / OS4.0, OS3.9,  MOS 1.45

Offline utri007

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
It is step backwards, thats true. Just wondering these endian issues, if webkit team is not going to fix it and they do have a attitude that it doesn't matter? Does it mean that these problems are increasing in future? These kind of projects tends to be single person projects in amiga land. ?
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »
Quote from: Acill;801708
What a damn shame. PPC had an amazing browser on MOS and its dead in the water now because of silly things like this. What about a 68k solution? Same issue?

not long ago olaf approached you guys on morphzone with his usual ideas of cooperation. what he has earned afair was claims that morphos doesnt need anything from anyone in the "amiga" scene, including aros, all traces of aros code in morphos have been rewritten long ago and that only other parties might gain advantages from such agreements.

when deadwood was trying to discuss bounty for a task, none else is apparently intending to address, namely the said endian fix, none of morphos or os4 users have spoken up. fine. now hire some vietnamese coder, if you like..

Offline BSzili

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »
Quote from: utri007;801729
It is step backwards, thats true. Just wondering these endian issues, if webkit team is not going to fix it and they do have a attitude that it doesn't matter? Does it mean that these problems are increasing in future? These kind of projects tends to be single person projects in amiga land. ?
May I ask why have you given up on Odyssey so easily? :confused: If you can't even find someone to fix JavaScriptCore, do you think you'll find someone to develop NetSurf into a modern browser, which is at least an order of magnitude more work? What you are saying is the equivalent of buying a new house, because the window previous one got broken.

Offline chris

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;801724
Netsurf is great for platforms with limited resources, but hardly suitable for modern browsing needs. For example the JavaScript support is still in its infancy, it has no support for HTML5 video, etc. On NG it would be a huge step backwards even compared the outdated Odyssey 1.23.

I think utri was suggesting some people could help to implement/improve these features.

They are being dealt with, but it's a small team so progress is slow.  Patches are usually welcomed! http://www.netsurf-browser.org/developers/

edit and of course working on NetSurf core doesn't need an Amiga developer nor a PPC machine.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:16:55 PM by chris »
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline kamelito

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 12:51:34 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;801699
Fab did and was told iirc "we don't even own a ppc machine so you'll need to do it yourself"

We maybe should do something like that "What do you need from us to fix the indian problem..blabla..." I suppose that Linux PPC could be run under a VM to test the build...A diff between the last working version vs the first to break compatibility might shed some lights to fix the problem in an easier way.

Kamelito

Offline utri007

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »
Now I need to choose my word carefully. :) There ia a team working with netsurf, pushing it up to date. Being part that team, might be less time consuming and require less work that fixing Odyssey at least from single person point of view NOT for generally speaking.  As I said these kind of projects tends to be single person projects in Amiga land. There should be team for fixing this, but .. who knows? And after fixing this problem, what happen next if webkit dev team doesn't care a endian issues?  What will be next issue with it?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 01:29:59 PM »
Quote from: radzik;801671
Stupid question, but how we can find someone? Inside our community or better outside?
Or maybe we can find other alternative for WebKit.

Google's WebKit fork Blink and its V8 JavaScript engine works on Power ISA and is actively maintained by IBM.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 08, 2016, 01:39:24 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;801731
May I ask why have you given up on Odyssey so easily? :confused: If you can't even find someone to fix JavaScriptCore, do you think you'll find someone to develop NetSurf into a modern browser, which is at least an order of magnitude more work? What you are saying is the equivalent of buying a new house, because the window previous one got broken.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed