Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odyssey Web Browser Public Source Code Repository  (Read 15367 times)

Description:

Offline deadwoodTopic starter

• Show only replies by deadwood
Odyssey Web Browser Public Source Code Repository
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
I would like to invite interested developers from all platforms to join the Odyssey Web Browser development.

The repository is public, available to everyone and located on GitHub:

https://github.com/deadwood-pl/OdysseyWebBrowser

The repository contains the latest version of Odyssey (1.25) which:

- is a continuation of Fab's 1.24 code base
- is rebased directly on WebKit engine (no longer uses Orygin proxy layer that 1.24 used) for easier integration of new engine versions
- uses WebKit revision 187682 (end of July version)
- is rebuild to support multi-platform development in build configuration and source code

If you are interested in developing a feature in Odyssey, no matter how small, or fixing a bug, no matter how trivial, contact me via email at deadwood@wp.pl. Don't worry - everybody had to start somewhere! I will help you understand the code base, build process and development approach.

Please spread the news!

Offline radzik

• Show only replies by radzik
    • http://radzikowski.ovh.org
Re: Odyssey Web Browser Public Source Code Repository
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
Deadwood is great developer. And now AROS has the most updated and current Odyssey in the world of Amiga.
In my opinion all NG systems must have a new OWB, modern OS without good browser is nothing. Can we do it beyond divisions between camps? We need it!
Amiga 2000 2 MB Chip ECS, Blizzard 2060/60 MHz 128 MB Fast, Picasso II+, Deneb USB, 160 GB & DVD-RW / OS 3.9
Amiga 1200, Blizzard PPC 233/040 256 MB Fast, BVision / OS4.0, OS3.9,  MOS 1.45

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
There is with OWB. It's for all camps now. The problem is that a core component doesn't work with big endian anymore, and the webkit team don't care to fix it. This means that webkit doesn't work with PPC anymore. That is why we havn't seen an update in 2 years except for little endian AROS. It's not infighting, it's a technical problem. And the guys are trying to find a solution for it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »
deadwood proposed a bounty for big endian fix few weeks ago but scrapped the idea due to the apparent lack of interest. here you go, if none speaks up.

Offline Yasu

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:44:39 PM »
It's not lack of interest, it's lack of developers who can fix this problem.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
so deadwood is not good enough for you?

Offline Yasu

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »
I didn't get the impression he would fix it. Only that a bounty was proposed. If deadwood can fix it I bet a lot of people would donate. Me included.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 03:29:38 PM »
deadwood has proposed a number of bounties, among others exclusively for aros68k. what would be his interest to propose those, if he was not intending to eventually pick them up? i mean, im not sure, but he likely is like most aros developers, mainly an x86/x64 user. its unlikely that he needs that endian fix himself...

what you say is the basic problem of the bounties, users will not donate if a trustworthy developer doesnt volunteer in advance. developers dont know how high the interest of users is. both is understandable. but someone tries to estimate interest, good thing would be to speak up, if you want it to take off.

some trustworthy site like people2power should have polls to estimate such bounty interest in advance to actually tarting them.

Offline radzik

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 03:56:14 PM »
Maybe a solution is to create a Odyssey Team? I'm not developer, but I see it like core team could prepare release of Odyssey in every new year. Something like with IBrowse - new year = new version. Than community can support team with bounty every year or buy for example new version for 50€ every year. It could make sense, because summary of NG users is not so small, could be enough € to sponsor our developers.
Amiga 2000 2 MB Chip ECS, Blizzard 2060/60 MHz 128 MB Fast, Picasso II+, Deneb USB, 160 GB & DVD-RW / OS 3.9

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 04:35:54 PM »
The solution is to find someone who is capable and willing to fix JavaScriptCore to work on big endian processors again, and pay him to do it if necessary. This could be done on Linux or Mac OS X, so he won't even need OS4 or MorphOS to do the job.
This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Offline radzik

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:13:48 PM »
Stupid question, but how we can find someone? Inside our community or better outside?
Or maybe we can find other alternative for WebKit.

Offline BSzili

• Show only replies by BSzili
    • http://bszili.morphos.me
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »
It might be worth looking outside the community, like they did for the H.264 altivec optimizations.
This is just like television, only you can see much further.

Offline radzik

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
Who should we contact? I now, again stupid question...

Offline kamelito

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:35 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;801642
The solution is to find someone who is capable and willing to fix JavaScriptCore to work on big endian processors again, and pay him to do it if necessary. This could be done on Linux or Mac OS X, so he won't even need OS4 or MorphOS to do the job.

Why not just fill a bug report to the webkit team, they should fix what they broke right?
Kamelito

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 11:02:57 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;801695
Why not just fill a bug report to the webkit team, they should fix what they broke right?
Kamelito

certainly, the big endian users have the highest priority with them. thats why they have practically abandoned to support this byte order. similarly why not complain with mesa/gallium team.