Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NIPC Library missing from StormC?  (Read 8711 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_H

Re: NIPC Library missing from StormC?
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
Quote from: SaruK;755599
many thanks, were can I get Envoy?

It's hard to get these days. I got it from Softhut a number of years ago. Otherwise there's eBay or websites of dubious legality. The patch to bring it up to v3.1 is on Aminet.

Envoy is a *fantastic* package, though. It's extremely lightweight and probably the best solution for Amiga-to-Amiga networked filesharing. Amazing things are possible with the API. I would love to see new developments around Envoy.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
I spoke to Dale Larson (original author and IAM founder) about Envoy at the Amiga 30 event in 2015. As I recall, he thinks Heinz still has the code.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:03:33 PM »
Forget about free, even re-releasing it as a commercial product would be fantastic! Believe me when I say that it's worth every penny. Absolute must-have for Amiga-to-Amiga file transfers on the LAN. Incredibly lightweight - all it needs is Kickstart 2, network hardware, and a floppy drive. Now that pre-built plipboxes are fairly common, the barrier for getting any Amiga online got a lot lower.

There's so much potential for cool software with Envoy's services model. I'd love to see a vibrant development scene spring up around Envoy again. See Aminet for examples of prior work.