Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DOpus for Windows  (Read 7761 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
DOpus for Windows
« on: January 30, 2004, 09:30:49 PM »
Has anyone tried it?  Personally I find it a little redundant as explorer is flexible enough already, but I'm wondering, especially after teaching a customer today about file management on Windows, whether it might be a much more convenient solution for Windows newbies.

I decided to take the plunge and let it take over explorer for the meantime.  The FTP capability attracted my attention somewhat :-)

Offline Amiperson2K3

• Show only replies by Amiperson2K3
Re: DOpus for Windows
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 09:43:27 PM »
I gave it a run for a couple of weeks and have to say it is the worst version of Opus i have ever used, it does not suit Windows at all and after using Magellan for the last few years it was a major disappointment seeing a newer version look so bad.

I would not recommend anyone at all use it.

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 09:52:48 PM »
I agree....I found it horrible compared to DOpus on the Amiga. If you want a good dual pane file manager, I like 2xExplorer (Just search on google or something) It has everything I need.

Offline PPCRulez

• Show only replies by PPCRulez
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 09:53:25 PM »
I find Dopus for Windows truly excellent. In fact it was and still is one of the reasons that I can live with working in windows. After I installed Dopus I haven't used Explorer or the hassle of going through "My Computer" to manage files. Just a double-click on the desktop and I've got a dual-lister Dopus window open with all it's power at my fingertips. It's very flexible, configurable and makes file management very easy. Explorer doesn't even come near when it comes to flexibility.

In my book it's a must have for people using Windows, just make sure you take some time to configure it. Nifty features like the great built-in image-viewer the built-in FTP support etc makes life with Windows so much easier.  

Offline Zero

• Show only replies by Zero
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 11:08:56 PM »
I would say it's not much like the Amiga version.
However I have used it since it came out on windows, I don't think I could live with out it.

I think it's great.
MorphOS G4 Quicksilver MDD

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 12:57:32 AM »
i used it a lot on my win98 machine...
I found it to be fairly stable and  when configured properly , very useful...
A bonus was that it gave the machine an `amiga feel`  to it...especially when run with windowblinds = a custom amiga skin...(close button in correct position)...
However, on my XP pro machine , it becomes too unstable and most of the features are already provided with winXP...

http://mysite.freeserve.com/blobrana/database/xptips.htm

(For XP tips and amiga skin screenshots...etc...)

Offline melott

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 05:08:30 AM »
I haven't used Dopus for Windows,but I do
use a prg. that you probably haven't heard of.

I use 'FilesWorks32'.
A friend of mine, an ex-Amiga programer wrote it.
He moved over to the PC in about 1992.

FileWorks was one of the first prgs. he wrote
for Windows.
I beta tested and offered suggestions, the
objective was to do as close a clone of Dopus_4
as possible.
I never use the 'My Computer' for file handling.
I'd be lost without FileWorks.
If anybody is interested, I'll see if I can
dig up a Demo.
Stealth ONE  8-)

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 05:45:33 AM »
It's not quite the same as Dopus on Amiga. But it's still leagues better than Windows Explorer, which I have hated since the first time I saw it.  I find Explorer to be klunky and not friendly to use, while Dopus 6 is much better. I still like Dopus 4.x for Amiga better though, but like Windows version slightly better than Magellan for Amiga.

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 06:31:04 AM »
@melott
I am interested in your friends program. I have tried quite a few managers for Windows, and nothing 100% suits my needs/wants, so another one to give a run would be great.

Offline pha_q

• Show only replies by pha_q
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 08:15:00 AM »
"I gave it a run for a couple of weeks and have to say it is the worst version of Opus i have ever used, it does not suit Windows at all and after using Magellan for the last few years it was a major disappointment seeing a newer version look so bad.

I would not recommend anyone at all use it."

It's modelled on explorer, how can it not suit Windows? Amiga users said Opus 5 was a major dissapointment after using Opus4. Can anyone see the pattern?

"However, on my XP pro machine , it becomes too unstable and most of the features are already provided with winXP..."

That's your XP installation, not Opus. I use the same combination with no problem, you need to go away and learn how to create a reliable XP installation. Start with the optional components, then the services, then the registry. Then you will be ready for the second phase, all of which takes a long time indeed. By the time you fully understand it MS will have replaced with Longhorn or whatever. Also, most of the features are NOT provided by Windows explorer, no ftp, no saving configurations, no integrated PDF/MP3 header/obscure image format viewers.

"nothing 100% suits my needs/wants", and never will. You have to learn to get along with what you have or learn to code.

I tried an early version of Windows Opus and registered immediately. The power and flexibility are NOT provided by any other file manager on this platform, the integrated FTP client handles every site I've come across, file commands such as split/join work better than commercial offering such as MasterSplitter.

When Opus 5.11 was released on the Amiga the documentation spoke of those who preferred V4 and referred to them as Luddites. I see nothing has changed...

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 10:05:10 AM »
Tried it a few times but i think its crap, i use another program called Magellan Explorer, its made by a company called enriva, its the best file manager on window imo.
Ni72ous

Offline HotRod

• Show only replies by HotRod
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2004, 10:24:52 AM »
What about Total Commander? It's quite nice I think. I'm using Krusader under Debian with is very similar to Total Commander, ie the best filemanager that I've tried on Linux this far. It's for KDE if someone wants to try it.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2004, 12:31:45 PM »
I have to say, it's grown on me.  It does need some configuring to become palatable.  I've yet to play with file associations using it, but if it's better than Windows file association management, I'm going to like it very much :-)

Offline stefcep

• Show only replies by stefcep
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2004, 01:08:57 PM »
I haven't used it (no PC) but I have seen it reviewed in two Aussie PC mags and both said it was indespensible and so far ahead of its competition.  BUT they both said that after it was configured properly.  The mags said that it should come with a more comprehensive default configuration.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2004, 02:22:13 PM »
One thing I found irritating about the default config was that it didn't replicate the appearance settings that the user has set up already in Windows.

I think I'll reinstall but with the minimal version, as I have no need for the image/audio preview stuff really.

Explorer memory usage is 2MB lower than usual, which is nice.  However Dopus uses ~12MB :-)

Slightly irritating, the draconian contact scheme on their website, so I can't contact them suggesting that they should include simultaneous FTP transfers...