Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 10481 times)

Description:

Offline lassie

• Show only replies by lassie
Re: Prometheus
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 12:54:47 AM »
Quote from: runequester;711811
So I finally watched this, and I guess most of the rage has died down. So...what was people's thoughts?

I fundamentally liked it. I guess I can see why people were disappointed...dialogue was weak, the script sort of didn't make a ton of sense and some things were obvious fan service / made up on the spot.

It was entertaining though, it was gorgeously shot and the "alien infection extraction" scene was one of the few times a movie has actually made me feel queasy.

What was people's thoughts?

I just got this on Blu Ray today, i guess it is time to see it :)
Amiga 4000 030 18 MB ram. 16 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 030 34 MB ram. 8 Gb HD.
Amiga 1200 Tower Apollo 1240
Amiga 2000 030. 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 5 MB ram. 500 MB HD.
Amiga 2000 68000 9 MB ram. 1 Gb HD.
Amiga 600 4 MB ram. 4 GB HD.
Amiga 600 1 MB ram. 60 MB HD.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 03:36:26 AM »
Quote from: lassie;716669
I just got this on Blu Ray today, i guess it is time to see it :)

You won't regret it. I loved it. Can't wait for the next one.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline lassie

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;716690
You won't regret it. I loved it. Can't wait for the next one.

Yes it was very good :) I have read so many bad reviews on IMDB, so i was afraid it was going to be bad, but they were wrong, cool movie.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D

Offline lassie

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 04:17:15 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;711814
I loved it. I would put it down as one of my fav movies of all time.

As far as being a sequel/prequel goes it is far superior to the other ones that were made. All they acomplished was to cheapen the franchise. Aliens was pure genius in my opinion but the ones that came after were toilet paper.

I like the idea of having a spirit quest in that they were searching for the meaning of humanity. I thought it was creative and it complemented the overall story of the first 2 movies.

The end sequence with the birth of the first alien queen was the best representation of the alien yet seen (apart from the cafeteria scene in spaceballs).

Do you mean that movie with John Candy?? with the cafeteria scene.
Amiga 500 1 MB ram.
Amiga 500 Plus
Amiga CD32
Amiga CD32
Commodore 64
Commodore 64C
Commodore 128
Commodore 128D

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 05:12:33 AM »
I think so.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 10:32:35 AM »
@Karlos.
It's a movie!  Over analysis ?
Room for a minor expectation adjustment?

Haven't seen it yet.  An am hoping I still want to...!!!

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:55:48 AM »
Certainly enjoyed this more at home than I did at the cinema. They seemed cut some bits out that would have made more sense. However I wasn't dissapointed with the film.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 03:02:59 AM »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;717259
Here's a great place to buy Prometheus. It's a great movie to own on Bluray.
Even though a visually great movie, it's just overrated. For a movie it's not that good IMO. Alien 1 beats it.
CD32
A500

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 11:20:07 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;716710
@Karlos.
It's a movie!  Over analysis ?
Room for a minor expectation adjustment?

Not even. It gets worse. I just couldn't be bothered to complete. However, in a nutshell:

Captain warns the team that a vicious storm is coming in, so the "scientists" take head back to the ship. Meanwhile, David (the droid) decides to take one of the urn like cylinders, unbeknown to his colleagues.

Meanwhile, lost dip**** geologist and biologist are trapped in the structure for the night and inevitably wind up back at the room with the urns / head and discover they are all oozing a black goo. One very reminiscent of the x-files. Then they find they aren't alone.

Biologist dude who was previously scared off by a dead body, is confronted by a metre long nasty alien worm thing that rears out of the black goo. Only now, rather than being freaked, he's all full of worm love. Approaching it with no sense of caution, it wraps around his arm and breaks it. An attempt to cut it off by the geologist fails and it grows a new head. The spray from cutting it turns out to be all alienesque melt-all acid and sprays over the geologist's helmet and it melts onto his face. He then falls face first into the goo.

There's one scene back aboard the ship that's interesting in which it is revealed that David is acting on someone's (revealed later) instructions and the possibility that the Weyland representitive supposedly in charge (played by Charlize Theron) may be an android because she is able to pin David to the wall and demand to know what "he" said, the response being to "try harder".

Later we see David disassembling the urn thing and isolating a drop of the black goo. He finds Dr Holloway, who despite making one of the greatest discoveries, if not the greatest discovery of all time and that his enormously far-fetched interpretation of the ancient depictions might be true, is having a sad and has proceeded to drink himself into a stupor. Simply, it seems, because they didn't find a live engineer to talk to. After just 6 hours of non-exploration....

David, one of the only characters with any depth, instantly recognises this brand of irreversible fail and decides the only sensible thing to do is spike his next drink with the black goo, because anybody that stupid deserves it. Probably. There's a brief exchange in which Dr Holloway tells David that humans made him because they could and David presumably finds that as disappointing as Dr Holloway travelling 36 light years to not speak to his maker. Or whatever, he deliberately exposes him to the black goo is the point.

Later, the other scientists have prepared the head for examination. Instead of some non-invasive cat scan or x-ray type work, they opt for the only thing to do when confronted with a priceless historical artefact that might be unique. They get David to break it open. Inside, is a remarkably well preserved humanoid head. Dead for 2000 years, but apparently still showing some signs of cellular activity.

In an amazing leap of intuition, Dr Shaw believes she can "trick it into thinking it's still alive" by pumping part of it's brain (that it might not anatomically even have, and they sure didn't perform any realistic scans on it to be sure) full of juice. By which I mean some 50 amps. Stand back, they are going to Science!

Anyway, it twitches a bit and subsequently explodes. Only after which do they take a sample for gene analysis. It turns out that they are genetically identical to humans! I mean despite being hulking albino, 9 foot tall and all-over bald.

Later, Dr Shaw is logging her results, pondering as to what caused the head to explode. I mean, it's not as if the gases released by electrolysis of all those fluids when you pump 50 amps through it might have caused it? A drunken Dr Shaw wanders in and she tells him the news that the engineers are basically human. He reacts by saying humans aren't special and anybody can create life. This triggers a cringingly delivered response that Dr Shaw is basically infertile and can't. As if to prove she just isn't trying hard enough, Dr Holloway proceeds to give her a good tumble. Can't make babies? Need moar sex!

Later he wakes up and notices something wrong with his eye when he looks in the mirror. In super close up, we recognise it as some sort of parasitic worm thing swimming around in his cornea, but he doesn't see it.

The next day, they go back to the structure to look for their colleagues, who for whatever reason, they aren't able to tell are dead already because their suits obviously don't have any physiological telemetry. That's just too silly.

Eventually they do find them. Once again, David wanders off mission and explores some other part of the ship and ultimately discovers some control room that resembles the one from the original alien move. He's able to activate more of the holographic recordings and witness some recoring of the crew preparing the ship for launch.

Dr Holloway becomes unwell and they make a return. By the time they get back, he's visibly looking quite ill and the boss won't let him back on board. Now, bearing in mind they had security guys with many quick and efficient weapons, they just torch him with a flamethrower. Obviously, it's not just David who thought he was a complete douchebag.

I don't recall at which point it happened now, but the geologist dude turns up again, all mutated and full of aggression and takes out a few crew, so that was a good call offing the guy, cuz that goo makes you go nasty.

Later, back on board the ship, the bereft Dr Shaw finds out she's pregnant. At which point we learn there's no medical crew on board (LOL, bit of an oversight!), so she's going to go into hypersleep. Right up until David tells her it's not a normal foetus and is already looking quite developed. She's now determined it has to go.

It turns out (luckily, was revealed earlier), that the boss woman had a "one of only a dozen made" medical pod that can perform all sorts of automated procedures. She gets there, only to discover it's only calibrated for male patients. So, she hastily programs it to perform an emergency C section on her.

If it doesn't sound ridiculous enough already, this machine cuts her open and takes out her womb sac. Which, even before she gets stapled up again, ruptures and reveals some horrible squid thing that had been growing in her. Now, if one drop of black goop in Holloway's drink was enough to turn his sperm into some sort of alien precursor, you might think that all that alienised amniotic fluid spilling into your wide open abdomen could be an issue, but apparently, it's a miraclue cure, for reason's we see later.

She escapes the pod, barely held together with stiches and struggles painfully through some presumably off-limits part of the ship and blunders into a room where Peter Weyland is being readied for his trip to the site. The same guy that was supposedly long dead on Earth! Yay, now we know who David was taking instructions from and why the medical pod might be calibrated for male patients. Nevertheless, there's no real reason it was all secret.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »
At some point, we see the boss woman confront Peter Weyland when it's revealed she's his daughter. In a moment that felt like a comedy nod to Star Wars. The really stupid thing is that she apparently came to make sure he didn't succeed in meeting them because she wanted to take control of the company and his bid in coming was to get the engineers to give him more life. She should have just stayed on Earth, where she would have had 4 years at least to get through whatever corporate/political manouvers would be necessary in his absence on some foolhardy expedition into the far unknown. Though, as we discover later, she's not the brightest button in the tin.

Around this time, the ship's captain deduces that this entire planet wasn't where the engineers came from, it was some sort of weapons facility they built and the black goop was a bioweapon. Well, it certainly seems more likely than it being the cradle of humanity. He reveals this to Dr Shaw, who agrees and is worried about what will happen if it is brought back.

Now Weyland, David and some support guys make their way to the site to meet an Engineer that David found still having a hyper nap in the control room. Dr Shaw goes with them. The same Dr Shaw who only a few scenes earlier had massive invasive surgery and could barely stand. That alienised amniotic fluid she got rinsed out with is starting to make her all better again, because before long, she's not only walking ok, but running, jumping and rapelling around like she never went under the knife at all.

So, we get to the scene where they are all standing in the room. David explains that he was able to ascertian they were headed for Earth before something went wrong. He then activates the pod with what is apparently the last remaining engineer so they can have a chat. The engineer dude gets up, understandably a bit groggy after 2000 odd years asleep. It seems he got out of bed on the wrong side. Weyland urges David to tell the engineer why they came. Meanwhile, Dr Shaw is making a scene, demanding they ask what is in the ships cargo and why it was meant "for us".

All through the voyage, David was assimilating human languages and tracing their common ancestry. In a language not unlike proto indoeuropean, he tells the engineer they came just as they they were invited to and that Weyland wants to live longer. At least that's the gist of what he was supposed to say. Unfortunately, they were wrong in assuming they understood the Engineer's language because what it obviously came out as "Hey you monstrous grey freak, ever heard of sunshine? Tanning mean anything to you? Also, didn't you know steroid abuse shrivels your acorns? Look it up."

Naturally, this angers the engineer who demonstrates his physical prowess by decapitating David with his bare hands and using his dismembered head to spark out poor old Weyland. Dr Shaw flees, unhindered by her recent surgery (no doubt thanks to alienambiofluid, the future's first choice in stimpak technology!). The engineer, totally riled with the slight against his appearence starts reading the ship for launch, activating the iconic chair from the space jockey scene in Alien as the strange exoskeletal suit closes around him.

She contacts the ship and makes a desperate plea not to allow it to leave. While running over the alien terrain and leaping across gaps opening up in the ground where the launch portal for the alien bomber is irising open. I mean let's be totally honest here. They'd completely forgotten about her surgery at this point. Nobody did a continuity check at all, did they?

Totally persuaded, the captain launches the Prometheus at the slowly ascending alien vessel, knowing it means certain death. And with it, no fear of having to appear in the sequel. The boss woman, of course, doesn't want to die and ejects her entire habitat pod, which crashes awkwardly.

Her and Dr Shaw watch the two ships collide and we get to one of the most comical scenes in the movie. The large, bracelet shaped alien vessel basically falls from the sky and hits the ground rolling. Obviously very sturdy. It rolls towards the two surviving women who proceed to do the only common sense thing and run in the same straight line the immense bulk is now rolling along. Eventually, Dr Shaw's doubtless years of scientific trianing kick in and she realises that by simply changing her vector sideways a bit, she'll no longer be in the path of impending doom. The boss woman, however, as hinted earlier, is just far too stupid to realise this and is subsequently owned by the immense mass. Then, with oh so predictable finality, the rolling stops and it keels over sideways, almost but not quite squishing Dr Shaw with it.

She, now low on oxygen, escapes to the jettisoned habitat pod. Inside, she finds the medical bay has been taken over by her unwanted squid baby and that it's seemingly found a way to ignore basic physics and grow to an immense size depsite having no obvious nutrition. Then, she's contatced by David, who being an android was not killed by having his head ripped off. Oddly enough, considering the crash, tumble and everything else, his head and body appear to have remained exactly where they were. He warns Dr Shaw that the Engineer is irked and is coming to get her for ruining his first day awake after 2000 years.

He turns up, having walked the entire distance without any breathing apparatus in an atmosphere hostile to humans. But that's OK, because he's an alien, right? I mean one that's also genetically identical to human. No wait, what now? Anyway, the big grey isn't affected by levels of CO2 that are harmful to humans, even though inside the ship they were scrubbing it to make the air breathable. Well, it's one of the movies lesser mysteries anyway.

To escape, Dr Shaw releases her angry squid baby which turns out to be some giant octopus sized precursor to the face hugger. It instantly grips the engineer and does the dirty after subduing him. She returns to the crashed ship after David tells her he can fly them and there are many others. So, with more climbing and other stuff you'd totally not do hours after surgery, she recovers his remains and they find another ship to take off in. And, instead of heading home, they go off looking for a sequel.

And that's it. No explanation as to the big carved head, why the engineers seemingly used the black goo to kickstart humankind and also wanted to annihilate it (though it could be competing factions of engineer). No point or purpose to Weyland's reason for being hidden on board and generally more continuity errors and plot holes than you can shake a remote control at.
int p; // A

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 01:06:11 AM »
Lol, nice deconstruction karlos! :D

Ps, I still enjoyed the movie despite noticing most of what you mentioned. :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 02:52:15 AM »
Karlos - why do you bother watching movies at all? I bet you could apply that amount of reconstruction to any movie ever made   :razz:

But i don't care as i really liked it  :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 03:20:20 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;717400
Karlos - why do you bother watching movies at all? I bet you could apply that amount of reconstruction to any movie ever made   :razz:

Really, that's less than half of the things that were glaringly and immediately wrong with it. No effort was required at all to spot any of them.

I watched it because I actually thought it might be good. I had no issues at all with it not being anything to do with Alien per se, and that it would explore the mysteries of the "space jockey" civilization instead.

The cinematography was fine, but the plot was just brain-crushingly weak. I'm truly surprised at how bad it was, I honestly expected better from Ridley Scott.
int p; // A

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 03:27:06 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;717407
I honestly expected better from Ridley Scott.

You mean like Robin Hood? That movie was so boring i couldn't even watch the final 1/3 of it. Same with Gladiator.

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 04, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
Gladiator rocked!
CD32
A500