Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Off to see Iron Maiden in Dallas tomorrow!  (Read 2375 times)

Description:

Offline Beast96GTTopic starter

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
Off to see Iron Maiden in Dallas tomorrow!
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:25:09 AM »
The last concert I attended was over 12 years ago (Type O Negative), and in my old age (38, lol) I'm not as inclined to deal with hordes of idiots running around yelling, screaming, and bumping into me.

However, when I found out that, none other than, Iron Maiden was going to be in Dallas this summer, I was really intrigued.   Then only to find out that they were playing their Seventh Son set, I was hooked.  

I was a huge Maiden fan back in the late eighties and early nineties, but when I finally saw them in Albuquerque, New Mexico, neither Bruce nor Adrian were in the band and they were playing at a CLUB!  The vocalist (Blaze?) was completely inaudible and Janick got mad at me because I was wearing a Type-O T-shirt, lol.  

Well, this time, Bruce Dickinson is back (and has been for a while, I know) and they're playing my favorite album.   I made sure and paid for VIP everything and will be front and center (out of the pit, tho, lol).  

The concert is finally here, and I simply can't wait.  I was a sophomore in high school when Seventh Son was released, and now I can enjoy it again!  

Any other Maiden fans out there??   Up the Irons!!

=Chris

Offline Bif

• Show only replies by Bif
Re: Off to see Iron Maiden in Dallas tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:17:55 AM »
I'm just a bit older and a huge Maiden fan too. They just came through my town, and I agonized if I should go see them, as I've wanted to since I was like 13 but never have. They would be the one band I want to see. My 9 year old daughter is actually a fan too but only likes a few songs. Driving over two hours to bring the whole family, find parking, etc, the $$$ for not so great tickets, just didn't seem worth it. We actually spent time on youtube watching videos from the show, and it's like, well I'd maybe even rather just watch footage than be there to some extent. I have a terrible memory, so I can hardly even remember anything from any concert I went to anyway.

Anyway, I made a choice recently that I'm just not interested in going to any more Arena rock shows. As you say, too many hordes of idiots. From here on in I'll see acts I like in smaller more intimate venues. I really can't stand Blaze and I think Janick is a bit of a goofball, but I would have rather seen Maiden in a club in that form than go to an arena show. I'm kind of hoping in 5 years or whatever they will become "uncool" again and I might be able to see them in a smaller venue. I seriously doubt that they would even bother doing that again though.

One show that did play in a smaller venue in my area recently was B.B. King. I regret not getting out to that one (I was a bit busy and stressed), not sure he'll be able to make it back.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the show.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »
Fair enough, Bif, but this, for me, is a once in a lifetime show.  Iron Maiden is my #1 favorite band of all time, and I doubt I'll ever get another chance.  The show that I saw them at the club was horrible--I was completely disheartened and wondered why I even went.  I remember running into Nikko McBrain outside talking to some chick, and I decided I didn't care and didn't wait around to talk to him after such a lame show.   So be careful what you wish for!!  :)  

A few things are different this time:  a) I'm not in the pit, I'm in actual seating and I spent good money to be in the front center.  b)  I've already got the parking pass as part of a VIP package I bought.   c)  My buddies in Albuquerque saw them a few days ago and said they were absolutely incredible and kept thinking of me.   That was cool.

I totally understand where you're coming from, though.  However, I think this going to be a great experience.

Offline Rob

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
My brother and quite a few of my friends are big fans of Iron Maiden.  I hope to get a job with Bruce Dickinson's new company.

http://www.cardiffaviation.com/

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 02:42:28 AM »
Up the irons, comrade!

Offline tone007

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
Two of my favorite bands were mentioned in this thread, Iron Maiden (mostly the older stuff) and Type O Negative.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 03:46:05 AM »
Quote from: tone007;704406
Two of my favorite bands were mentioned in this thread, Iron Maiden (mostly the older stuff) and Type O Negative.

Yeah, I love both bands...  but Maiden is a definite #1 for me.

We had a LOT of fun at the concert.   It was great to have VIP club access also--we ran into Vinnie Paul (Pantera, etc.) and his crew while we were there.  

Maiden played their "Maiden England" set from Seventh Son, which was my favorite album, and put on a great show.  It was their second to last show of the tour, but they still played like it was the first.   Great show, I'd definitely do it again if I have the chance.

I'm the nerd in the middle, lol.

The lighting made it difficult to get a decent pic, plus the wide angle doesn't show just how close I was to the front.  :)

Nikko throwing out some drumsticks, etc.  Good times.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
Just happened to check the coffe house and noticed this.
I saw the Camden NJ show this year with Alice Cooper.

Great Stuff.
I've been into this band since I first saw them opening for Juda Priest back when their singer was Paul Dianno.

Heard Bruce trying to do "Running Free" this year. Paul still sings that one better.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"