Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore Amiga Mini  (Read 44391 times)

Description:

Offline number6

Re: Commodore Amiga Mini
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »
@thread

Barry Altman is now posting in this thread

The time frames for the new models are now listed.

Offline number6

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 05:04:09 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;682748
Is that image a poor Photoshop, or is the box a poor Photoshop? (In other words, is this another of their endless mockups, or did they finally manage to release a new product, and somehow forgot to parade around applauding themselves for it - at least on A.org?)

Everyone I talked to said it's a photoshopped box.

Posters seem to agree

Offline number6

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;683525
So what was barry's justification for charging such a high amount for the Amiga Mini? And what do you get for your money?

part of that is answered here

Keep in mind the additional manufacturing costs of CNC engraving the AMIGA logo, laser etching C= logo and branding plate, but also the DOUBLE licensing fees for dual branding with both the Commodore and AMIGA trademark logos. These additional fees are based on the selling price of the unit. It all adds up, rather quickly. And let's not forget to add some profit so we can be around to continue this adventure.

Additional info about product line for the year was rescheduled (I've lost track of how many times this date was changed) for today or tomorrow.

Offline number6

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
Quote from: persia;683692
Licensing fees?  Didn't the Baron post a message gloating that he'd slit the throats of Asia Rim whilst they were sleeping?

I haven't found any new legal documents concerning the lawsuit. Nor have I seen anything publically posted by either of the principals.

Offline number6

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;684039
It's like watching a shell game where the con man keeps lifting up the shell to check which one he left the ball under...

Nevertheless, despite at least 8 or 9 announcements of delays in upcoming announcements, we have a new one:

Today's the day.

In most cases I don't offer opinion, but since the CTO (Leo) is in Florida working with Barry, this announcement might actually take place.

Offline number6

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:27:48 AM »

Offline number6

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
@thread

Looking at google news, there is less coverage for this than CUSA received last year on the news of the Disney connection and launch of the C64x.

However, this is probably considered "mainstream" media:

TIME

For those who like to read a lot of comments instead:

Slashdot

Offline number6

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
@thread

Before anyone points to another article giving an opposing view, I'll add that I do not see much of an opposing view.

And I can't link to something like PCWorld, when they write:

Commodore USA, which licensed the Commodore name from a company called Commodore Gaming, gained exclusive rights to the Amiga name in August 2010, clearing the way for the launch of the all-in-one desktops.

2 and 1/2 errors in one sentence -alone- leads to a fact credibility gap methinks.

CUSA licensed from Asiarim who is now being sued, along with quite a list of others.
Amiga Inc. licensed to IContain, after the 2010 date, ergo "exclusive" term was also wrong.
Contract was re-negotiated for the exact opposite reason of NOT having to be tied to AIO, hence my "1/2 wrong" rating on that one.

Sheesh...who writes this crap.

Offline number6

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
Quote from: persia;685478
Yep, Googling the news it seems they are running out of free publicity, time to break into that fictitious $30 million advertising budget.

The brief history of that one:

Commodore USA Appoints Korey Kay

The direct quote "Projected budget: $30 million." and from reading the entire article you can see it was meant to be applied over time, not all at once.

Listed on CUSA's Board of Directors

Mr. Kay is not presently a board member. This is explained:

by Leo here

Technology link for Korey Kay:

http://www.koreykay.com/pt7.html

The reference to work done for Commodore in the past is illustrated there.

His current involvement? Dunno.

Offline number6

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
@thread

Some new advertising apparently coming in the form of contributions to a telemovie:

Commodore USA assists Underground Telemovie

Google search shows the makers of the movie were looking for "geek" hardware to add to the movie.

The art director is looking to get hold of old Commodore 64 machines, Amstrads and IBM PCs for the production.

source

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:48:32 PM by number6 »

Offline number6

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
Quote from: Edpon;698084
Yeah, for multiple reasons. Looked like nice small factor computer with Commodore OS Fusion (Yes, that's what I have pre-installed, not Vision),

Although I saw the term "Fusion" referenced prior, I now see that both Leo and Barry have written a bit about it:

source