Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would it not be better to work together?  (Read 5506 times)

Description:

Offline Buzzfuzz

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
Re: Would it not be better to work together?
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 07, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;620039

If you wanted to play 60FPS 1920x1080 games and watch HD movies in 2006/7 would have cost 5x as much asa PS3......only a lunatic solution then. Sure 4 years on it's only 300-500 more but don't compare powerful machines technically with that NintenTOY for babies and single mums ;)

Good one :)

But Amiga hardware isn't getting cheaper also, sure the low end A500 and 600's are cheap.
1200's/2000's is already a bit harder.
A3000's/4000's are getting to the point of costing near to big powerful pc's.
And I haven't even started on PPC cards.

PS3's and Nintendo's are for the masses, just like PC's and Mac's, but everything else is a hobby.
And this can get a quite expensive hobby if you go a little bit further.

Sure, I'd like to see a better OS than OS 4.1, but I'm not going to spend a boat load of money for new hardware and an OS that can't do modern things like we do today.
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;620190
That's not wholly true; at least one project is a significant leap forward over the original 68k Amigas. Besides, what does "next generation" even mean in this context, and why? If something like NatAmi isn't a "next generation" Amiga project, what would it take to make it one?

I was referring to 68K code, not the actual 68K machines.  There maybe some advancement via NatAmi, but it's not a next generation, just improvements as best as there can be.  To me, Next Generation (for hardware) is modern, if not bleeding edge, technology and it would be expected for the end user to fully use it to it's maximum hardware capabilities.  To be several generations behind in technology but still ahead the Amiga 68K is not Next Generation but who has sunk in the least in the tar pits of irrelevancy.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;620190
If something like NatAmi isn't a "next generation" Amiga project, what would it take to make it one?

A lot of bug-fixing, hardware descriptors, drivers, and tweak the VHDL of the chipset to make it possible to run as an ASIC rather than an FPGA.  Beyond that, nothing much.  (Note:  It will take a lot to get up to the volume of customers that will make the NatAmi cost-effective, although DARPA has a project that may make small quantities of ASICs cheaper.)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »
Quote from: dammy;620198
To me, Next Generation (for hardware) is modern, if not bleeding edge, technology and it would be expected for the end user to fully use it to it's maximum hardware capabilities.
I guess I still don't get this mindset. If it's modern computing power you want, that's easily had with any of the countless x86 PCs out there. Amiga-upgrade projects are (barring one of us suddenly winning the lottery) never going to match the raw horsepower of the PC clone market, as you yourself have pointed out before, and so people start suggesting that the Amiga should just become another PC clone. Why should we sacrifice everything that makes the Amiga the Amiga just so that we can claim it's modern? It'd be like sticking a Tucker emblem on a modern utility sedan and claiming it's a Tucker Torpedo.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
What is an Amiga is a little like asking which women are hot.  There are some that we can pretty much all agree on, but as you get farther out, everybody starts getting their own ideas.  Some like big tits, and can live with a few extra pounds elsewhere.  Some want them thin, and don't care how flat she is.  Some just look at the face, and others just look at the butt.  That is the boat we are in with Amigas.  We can all agree that the A500, A1000, A2000, A3000 are real Amigas, but after that we are not necessarily looking at the same parts when we want to add more units to the list.

I like to be pragmatic.  Hot chicks are the ones that will sleep with me, and Amigas are systems that can run a reasonably large selection of the software released for the A500, A1000, A2000 and/or A3000.  After that, the various traits define which is the best, not which is an Amiga.