Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would it not be better to work together?  (Read 5507 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Would it not be better to work together?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
Bah, active collaboration? Amigoid OS' are similar enough that a good program should be fairly easy to port across systems.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
Teamwork is great, but not at the expense of whatever it was you were doing in the first place. The different Amiga-like platform projects in development are different because people had honest disagreements about which way things should go, not because they just haven't thought of combining their efforts, and that should be respected. Besides, they can still benefit from each other - the open-source Kickstart that the AROS folks wanted to run AROS on their 68k Amigas, for example, is providing NatAmi with a bootstrap by which they can run 68k software without having to pay licensing fees. As long as these groups keep an attitude of mutual amiability, they can benefit from each other's work without giving up what they are.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 01:25:01 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;619989
Bah, active collaboration? Amigoid OS' are similar enough that a good program should be fairly easy to port across systems.

Try to port an OS4 app that makes heavy use of OS4 only features to 3.x or MorphOS.

It's quicker to write it again from scratch.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Quote from: Piru;619981
It was tried in 2003 and it failed:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2801

http://web.archive.org/web/20040405022020/http://openamiga.tk/

MorphOS got the best of breed of the accepted community standards (MUI, CGX, Poseidon etc) AROS cloned them and OS4 was left with the shyte that was left over from H&P and their own NIH stuff. ;)

/Dons flame-proof jacket!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
Who's this guy called Don ???

And why does he have a flame-proof jacket... ;)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
Quote from: Franko;619976
You'd never even get them to agree on the standards as each would have different standards that they simply wouldn't budge on... :)

Anyway once you agree to a standard and most stick to it, someone else just comes along and decides those standards are too restricting and so they begin something new that doesn't fit the agreed standards, and the whole thing starts all over once again... :)

Standardisation=bad for consumer. Look how crap buying an off the shelf computer has become now...Intel Mac or Wintel/AMDwin box. You can keep it. Thank goodness we have Sony + Nintendo still in the console market.

Greed from software houses led to no more choice like in the wonderful 80-90s. Each generation was a revolution as it should be.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
Quote from: Franko;619983
Wow Bloodline looks the same in his pic back then as he does today... methinks he's really Joan Rivers... :)

That's cruel!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;619954
People do work together, and when they do you get opensouce projects like AROS and MiniMig :)

Problem for even open source is that it has to be a modern open source to survive.  I think that is the biggest loadstone for the Amiga community, it's just reimplementation of an old school OS (which was cutting edge at the time).  Until that loadstone is gone, any cooperation is going to be futile.  I know, I just touched a third rail, but once the fog of battle clears and the view of the destruction that the community has gone under for the past 17 years, there is not much left worth fixing, it's time to rebuild.  That means the old has to be torn down for the new.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Franko

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 05:17:24 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;620014
That's cruel!

Oi... you changed me words... where's me lawyer... :furious:

Although now you mention it, I can see the resemblance... :D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
Quote from: Franko;619983
Wow Bloodline looks the same in his pic back then as he does today... methinks he's really Cliff Richard... :)
Lol! The scary thing is that old photo is at least 13 years old!!! I have a few wrinkles and a few gray hairs now :)

Offline Franko

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
Quote from: dammy;620015
Problem for even open source is that it has to be a modern open source to survive.  I think that is the biggest loadstone for the Amiga community, it's just reimplementation of an old school OS (which was cutting edge at the time).  Until that loadstone is gone, any cooperation is going to be futile.  I know, I just touched a third rail, but once the fog of battle clears and the view of the destruction that the community has gone under for the past 17 years, there is not much left worth fixing, it's time to rebuild.  That means the old has to be torn down for the new.

Imagine the outcry if they said "it's time to tear down the Pyramids (or the local chippy)" some things are classic and timeless and are best left in the hands of the curators and those who truly appreciate them for what they are... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »
Quote from: Franko;619996
Who's this guy called Don ???

And why does he have a flame-proof jacket... ;)

Because Belgians breath fire.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;620020
Lol! The scary thing is that old photo is at least 13 years old!!! I have a few wrinkles and a few gray hairs now :)

I always thought it was the lead singer from ABC?!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;620008
Standardisation=bad for consumer. Look how crap buying an off the shelf computer has become now...Intel Mac or Wintel/AMDwin box. You can keep it. Thank goodness we have Sony + Nintendo still in the console market.

Greed from software houses led to no more choice like in the wonderful 80-90s. Each generation was a revolution as it should be.

Hi,

Wow, you still buy off the shelf computers!!!

I build my own, that way I get to choose what I have in my computer, the only off the shelf computer I have in my house is for my youngest son and yes you are right it is a piece of crap.

As far as game consoles please take it to a sony or nintendo site. I wouldn't own one of those piece of sheet if you paid me. I have a WII only because it came with the car I purchased, I laugh at it every time I go in the living room.

PC Power User
smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 06:07:30 PM »
Quote from: Franko;620021
Imagine the outcry if they said "it's time to tear down the Pyramids (or the local chippy)" some things are classic and timeless and are best left in the hands of the curators and those who truly appreciate them for what they are... :)

Hi,

I agree with you on this Franko, the classic Amiga's should stay as they are, no one but Jay Miner could call the shots on this.

but

On the same token, the reason the pyramids still stand is because of the generation that built them, for todays generation, well do you think you could live in a pyramid. Not really, they had no electric, no heat, no air conditioning, no refrigerator, etc. etc.

Time moved on and so must we.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline nicholas

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 06, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;620020

:P