Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst Technology Product Ever  (Read 3815 times)

Description:

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: Worst Technology Product Ever
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 16, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »
Real Player

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2007, 09:00:24 PM »
I voted "other" - and nominated those white Ipod headphones - you know the ones which give out so much ambient tinniness. Favoured by those cheap 8astard5 who are too tight to buy a decent pair of headphones.
I would love 5 minutes alone with the designer of those (portuguese guy by the name of "Juan Kerr" I believe) - and I count myself as a pacifist.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2007, 10:57:03 PM »

DonnyEMU wrote:
I prefer Vista because I can do cool apps that improve on what I liked about the Amiga so long ago. I think you'll find that these Vista Apps are really very cool. If you really want to see what Vista does, check out this Video on a Mac with Safari or Firefox or a PC with Internet Explorer..

http://www.sneath.org/tim/wpf.htm

If after you see this you aren't impressed you are probably just a MS hater or you wish the Amiga could do this right now... Either way I'd question your motivations for saying such things..

All I get is a button urging me to download some beta software.  Hardly impressive by any measure.

Seeing as you have essentially said that everyone should agree with you, else they are some stupid illogical fan-boy, I guess that makes me a illogical fanboy.

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2007, 11:07:21 PM »
I voted "Anything with DRM", however, since your all canning Norton/Symantec I thought I'd add my two cents.

A while back we migrated from Symantec Anti-virus CE 8.1 to 9.0. 9.0 will scan pretty much anything coming in or going out and I was surprised to find that on one machine, it was detecting email being sent and scanning it. First thing that sprang to mind was that there was a mass mailer running on the machine, yet Symantec failed to detect anything. It would detect and scan the emails being generated, however it wouldn't detect the mass mailer that was sending them. A quick Panda scan found the exact cause and stopped it dead in its tracks, good one Symantec.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2007, 11:16:38 PM »
I nominated Vista too! And not the Amiga version.

:)

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2007, 11:20:37 PM »
hands down, Windows ME. Barely usable at all! With clean reinstalls coming at a weekly frequency!
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2007, 11:25:56 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

McVenco wrote:

lou_dias wrote:

I also refuse to run anti-virus software and have never gotten a virus.

How'd you know if there's nothing that warns you when you've been infected? :lol:

Anyone who's built their own PC and diables all the un-necessary Windows "services" and can hear their hard drive knows whether or not they have a virus.

Add to that:  Microsoft's automatic updates run the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" monthly and it's updated monthly.  Also, in Internet Explorer, I have everything set to "Prompt" before anything gets executed through my browser, even cookies.

hmm....firstly, i wouldn't trust windows to deal with spyware...spybot s&d and adaware are the only viable anti-spyware things around at the moment

secondly, there will _always_ be exploits in browsers...your prompting thing, whilst perhaps a good habit (perhaps excessive and unnecessary control) won't counteract those exploits

It's not hard to live virus/anti-virus free, you just have to actively persue it.

sure...but it helps having an efficient antivirus running in the background in addition to your good computing practice

My QuickTime crashes currently.  It was always slow to launch to begin with.  One of these days, I might care enough to uninstall it and download the latest version.  I do have some .mov files that I care about - unfortunately...  The one I have now installed I-Tunes along with an I-Tunes "service" which I disabled...

/me shouts and points to sir_inferno's above link for quicktime alternative codec...doesn't install poop (well...excluding the quicktime codecs of course)

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2007, 02:23:34 AM »
If you really want to see what Vista does, check out this Video on a Mac with Safari or Firefox or a PC with Internet Explorer..

http://www.sneath.org/tim/wpf.htm

/me points my FireFox loaded up Mac to the above URL.../
Oh wow, an image link titled "Get Microsoft Silverlight" on a pink-ish background! I do have to admit, I've never seen this before on an Amiga or elsewhere. Most sites I visit tend to have actual content.

If after you see this you aren't impressed you are probably just a MS hater or you wish the Amiga could do this right now...

Sorry, count me among the "not impressed". Heck, I've seen much larger banners on a variety of colored backgrounds, some with animation even! I think you're just easily impressed.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2007, 02:51:44 AM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:

Never used ME either.

I missed the option Windows 95. I have very bad experiences with that OS. Especially with cleaning up other's peecees. (And of course Norton Antivirus is the first thing I kick harddisks; bloody standard installations)

Having 3 PC's at the office with Win ME, 2000, and XP, ME wins hands down as the lamest of the three.

I guess I'll have to try and wipe Norton off the ME and maybe that'll speed it up a bit.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline issarad

• Show only replies by issarad
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2007, 02:53:48 AM »
I'm going to toss my vote in for Microsoft BOB.  What a useless and buggy piece of crap that was.

Offline mrescher

• Show only replies by mrescher
    • http://www.nextstudio.net
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2007, 03:51:35 AM »
Heck, I've seen much larger banners on a variety of colored backgrounds, some with animation even! I think you're just easily impressed.

I actually thought that site was pretty impressive - I'd love to have animated traffic graphs on satellite maps. fantastic stuff.  Admittedly the least impressive applications to me were the Microsoft ones.

Not sure if I 'wished [my] amiga could do that' however I wish something would make computing fun again, like it was with the Amiga.

The Mac doesn't cut it. It's fantastic, easy to use but I don't enjoy it.  I use Debian Linux because it works, and Windows because I have to but I still fire up the A4000 when I want to remember what a fun computer felt like.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2007, 04:30:54 AM »
Realplayer realplayer OH SWEET JESUS REALPLAYER

And then once you decided to use that buggy pile of crap, real networks going after people who create "realmedia recorders" hammer and tongs.

Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline stopthegopTopic starter

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2007, 02:19:09 PM »
Real does suck mightily, indeed.

Notice a pattern developing, too..  So many Microsoft products in the running...  I think they are the undisputed champions at producing sucking software.  Apple gets an honorable mention.    
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2007, 03:44:50 PM »

Amiduffer wrote:
Having 3 PC's at the office with Win ME, 2000, and XP, ME wins hands down as the lamest of the three.

I guess I'll have to try and wipe Norton off the ME and maybe that'll speed it up a bit.

not particularly fair comparing an 9x with an NT one...(especially with XP...i mean come on...a fair bit of time between them lol)

MAYBE?!?!!? lol...norton is the "antidote" to efficient and stable computing

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »
Definately MySapce.

I couldn't vote for Vista or ME because although they look crap, I have never used them.

I was also tempted to vote for MSN/AIM but those arn't actually that annoying when you use a decent client (i.e. BitlBee). If you use the official client, then that is bad, e.g. MSN Messenger 7 is a horrible piece of software.

MySpace is definately very annoying. It can be fine when used appropriately, but not with all the horrible themes that some people use.