Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst Technology Product Ever  (Read 3813 times)

Description:

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
Re: Worst Technology Product Ever
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »

Colani1200 wrote:
[So what's so impressive about that site? That you don't see anything if you don't exactly use one of those OS/browser combinations? I can do that easily...

@silverlight

Seamless, fast installation for users

effort...who wants to install stuff

Consistent experiences between Windows-based and Macintosh computers

that's what "STANDARDS" are for

Stunning vector-based graphics, media, text, animation, and overlays

ah, you mean like svg, flash, etc etc

lol...what poop

ed: to add insult to injury, it doesn't work with opera, and it didn't ask me where it wanted to install...

further ed: it's a resource hog...and watching that video, there's nothing but eye candy...poop that i'll never use, and i'd rather they'd have spent the years of development optimising their nt kernel, rather than mucking around with this kinda crap

Offline Frags

• Show only replies by Frags
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »

DonnyEMU wrote:
I prefer Vista because I can do cool apps that improve on what I liked about the Amiga so long ago. I think you'll find that these Vista Apps are really very cool. If you really want to see what Vista does, check out this Video on a Mac with Safari or Firefox or a PC with Internet Explorer..

http://www.sneath.org/tim/wpf.htm

If after you see this you aren't impressed you are probably just a MS hater or you wish the Amiga could do this right now... Either way I'd question your motivations for saying such things..

My motivation is that both times I tried Vista I found it very sluggish and awkward to use - too much gui if you know what I mean.  One of the try-outs was on a nice fast computer as well.  DX10 will draw me in eventually no doubt.
-insert clever profundity here-

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 02:54:35 PM »

Waccoon wrote:
Motorollin:  What's wrong with QuickTime?

- The last time I downloaded QuickTime, Apple was bundling it with iTunes.  Why the hell do I need iTunes forced on me when I don't have an iPod, or even a portable music player?  

Yes, I find that annoying too.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 03:41:01 PM »
@Waccoon

I agree with both your posts entirely.  Unbelieveble!

I also refuse to run anti-virus software and have never gotten a virus.

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 03:47:42 PM »

lou_dias wrote:

How'd you know if there's nothing that warns you when you've been infected? :lol:
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 04:39:53 PM »
duh , they forgot the lamest of them all... amiganywhere!

Offline stopthegopTopic starter

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 04:53:03 PM »
I also refuse to use anti-virus software.  The one time I tried Norton, it brought my 3Ghz machine literally to its knees.  Its a case of the cure being worse than the disease.  

Speaking of inept products, I did some side work on a neighbor's PC the other day and noticed he had a printer driver installed.  Guess how big it was?  Try 680MB!  Now, that has got to be a record..  
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 05:23:41 PM »

mikrucio wrote:
Please everyone vote vista... :-)
Haven't tried Vista yet, so I can't vote on that.
Never used ME either.

I missed the option Windows 95. I have very bad experiences with that OS. Especially with cleaning up other's peecees. (And of course Norton Antivirus is the first thing I kick harddisks; bloody standard installations)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Hodgkinson

• Show only replies by Hodgkinson
    • http://www.myspace.com/em_radiation *****and ***** www.booni.info
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 05:52:05 PM »
I'll vouch for AOL.
Waaaaay too much slow gfx (Much in the same way as XP/Vista), unreliable, auto-restart feature after it crashes (Shows how much faith AOL have in their browser) and ? knows how many menus.
Not to mention the spyware zapper that performs a useless 30 second scan on boot-up that does nothing execpt to slooow the PC down. And even when the "aolsoftware.exe" is supposed to be running in the background the PC is at least 50% slower than normal...

And im using AOL right now...(Killed the background task off already)

Sigh.
Main A1200D: WB3.0, 3.1 ROMs, 2GB HDD, Blizzard 1230IV (64MB RAM + FPU) and a whole load of custom heatsinks... :flame:

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 06:28:38 PM »

stopthegop wrote:
I also refuse to use anti-virus software.  The one time I tried Norton, it brought my 3Ghz machine literally to its knees.  Its a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

it's a case of using the right cure...namely avg/avast

Offline Ross1

• Show only replies by Ross1
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 06:50:20 PM »
I also agree that Norton AntiVirus is just aweful. Have you ever tried to remove it once it is installed.  Norton AntiVirus installs so deeply into the OS and registry that your lucky if it dosent crash your system when you remove it. It crashed my PC so badly several years ago that I had to do a complete reinstall of windows as the registry was totally messed up.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 06:54:12 PM »
Norton.

It's like a long lost relative who comes to stay, ie it consumes most of your available resources and you can't get rid of the bugger.
Cecilia for President

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 06:59:04 PM »
QuickTime here as well.  I can't believe people still support this player when there are tons of better alternatives (players, codecs, and encoders...).
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2007, 07:23:01 PM »

McVenco wrote:

lou_dias wrote:

How'd you know if there's nothing that warns you when you've been infected? :lol:

Anyone who's built their own PC and diables all the un-necessary Windows "services" and can hear their hard drive knows whether or not they have a virus.

Add to that:  Microsoft's automatic updates run the "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" monthly and it's updated monthly.  Also, in Internet Explorer, I have everything set to "Prompt" before anything gets executed through my browser, even cookies.

It's not hard to live virus/anti-virus free, you just have to actively persue it.

ps,
My QuickTime crashes currently.  It was always slow to launch to begin with.  One of these days, I might care enough to uninstall it and download the latest version.  I do have some .mov files that I care about - unfortunately...  The one I have now installed I-Tunes along with an I-Tunes "service" which I disabled...

Offline jkirk

• Show only replies by jkirk
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 07:36:19 PM »

Haranguer wrote:
Sorry.  I can't vote for Windows Vista.  Vista is better than XP, which, in turn, is better than 98, which was better than 95, which was better than 3.1.

That said, it's still barely useable, but still not the worst technology product ever.

I voted for "Anything with DRM".

did you know by voting "anything with drm" you were in fact voting for vista and xp as both contain it. anyway i voted the same "anything with drm"
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 16, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »
Real Player