Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst Technology Product Ever  (Read 3812 times)

Description:

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Worst Technology Product Ever
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »
orange wrote:
In my opinion, Apple QuickTime easily wins here..

What's wrong with QuickTime?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »
Any "helper" task:  Background tasks designed to speed up the booting of any particular application.  All they do is waste memory.  What's the point of precaching if the task itself is going to get swapped out to VM?  They seem harmless until everybody starts doing it, and you've suddenly got 30+ 3rd-party background tasks running.

Anti-virus software:  Responsible for probably 80% of all BSOD and lost data, not to mention unbearably slow performance.  The only time I ever used anti-virus software since Windows95 was a few months, shortly before I upgraded from Win2K to XP.  In that short time, Norton destroyed my entire e-mail archive (luckily I had a recent backup).  I uninstalled it immediately.  After almost 12 years of not using any anti-virus software, I have still never gotten a virus or mal-ware.

HTML:  A lot of people applaude the W3C -- I despise them.  Who's idea was it to make a language based on SGML that couldn't be parsed as SGML because it was syntax incompatible, and then spend over a decade trying to "fix" a broken format?  How the hell can something be a standard if its syntax continously changes?  Isn't the point of a standard is so it doesn't change?  No wonder the web is a huge mess of non-compliance!  Hey, now I'm required to add blank "alt" tags to all my "img" tags just to signal that the tags are blank and not null.  Oh, wait, these days I'm supposed to use "object" tags declared as image classes, not the "img" tag.

Java:  Crap when it was introduced, and it's still crap.  Almost every applet I've ever used will only work for a few years, and then when a new version of Java is released, everything breaks.  I thought the whole point of a software platform is so you didn't have to worry about platform compatibility?  Java is the new DLL hell.  Software is nicer than hardware, because software can be updated at any time.  That also ensures that software standards are updated and patched about 20x times as often.  Funny how a Core2 Duo can run software two decades old, but Java barfs on applets written a few years ago.

Web 2.0 (and up):  Not a technology, but a way of thinking.  Yeah, instead of using a clean standard, I think I'll write 200K of bloated XML and JavaScript just to populate drop-down menus in realtime.  Hey, who cares how complicated things are to code, so long as the technology is largely invisible to the end user?  Oh yeah, and let's not forget that the reason for using XML and JS is so the application is accessible to everyone -- except those using browsers incompatible with the newest XML standards.  Wouldn't it make more sense to make a new format if it takes years for browsers to start supporting the "new old" formats, and even then, they do it poorly?  A clean format could be implemented in a few months, but instead we spend years trying to force HTML and XML to do things they were never designed to do?  If something doesn't work in a 2-year-old web browser, what's the point in having it based on a "standard" DTS?  I mean, other than for political reasons.  We wouldn't want a consortium of commercial companies developing a standard to compete with those lovable martyrs at the W3C, would we?

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 09:51:57 AM »
Motorollin:  What's wrong with QuickTime?

Where to begin?

- QuickTime installs several background tasks and helpers.  See my comments about helpers above.

- The last time I downloaded QuickTime, Apple was bundling it with iTunes.  Why the hell do I need iTunes forced on me when I don't have an iPod, or even a portable music player?  Funny how people complained about Mandatory Web Browsers in Windows years ago, but nobody complains when Apple bundles largely unrelated products.

- QuickTime is the only application I know of that will BSOD my Windows machine.  It does a lot of really nasty low-level things to the machine's graphics system.  Apple is quick to blame Microsoft for this, especially given the large problems Apple has had getting QuickTime running on Vista.

- On Windows, QuickTime is not even the slightest bit compliant with Windows GUI programming guidelines.  Simple things like copy/paste, hotkeys, and closing windows don't work properly.

- It's slow as dirt.  Tracking response is faster than Windows Media Player, and it can play videos at different speeds, but that's it.

- QuickTime overtakes your machine.  It replaces everything in your web browsers, too, so just clicking on an MP3 file will bring up the QuickTime interface.  Turning everything to defaults in the system takes a long time, and the QuickTime control panel doesn't affect web browser integration at all, forcing you to do it through your web browser's extension manager.  What a pain!

- Apple makes you pay for the full QuickTime app to enable file saving, even if the media is not protected.  Now that's stupid.

- Many, many old QuickTime codecs don't work on newer versions of QuickTime.  The solution?  Buy the full version of QuickTime and recode your old .MOV files, of course!  Windows Media Player will still play anything if the proper codec is installed.  Oh yeah, the QuickTime updater won't recognize "obsolete" codecs, and any codecs that are recognized will usually require extra plugins to be installed, and not just the codec itself.  More "bundling", in other words.

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 09:54:28 AM »
Voted for vista, it consume's way to many resources so it's  bad for the planet :crazy:

I also would have liked to vote for windows ME, that one was really whack also :lol:  
Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

Offline stopthegopTopic starter

• Show only replies by stopthegop
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
@waccoon:

Awesome Rant, dude.  Agree w/ every word.  :)
Primary:
A4000T. Phase5 PPC604e-233mhz/060-66mhz. Mediator, Z3 Fastlane, Voodoo5, Delfina, X-Surf, AD516, Peggy Plus.

Collection:
A4000D, A1200, A500, Milan060 (Atari clone), Atari MegaSTE, Atari TT030, C64, C128, Mattel Aquarius, (2) HP Jornada....

Offline motorollin

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »
Waccoon wrote:

- QuickTime installs several background tasks and helpers.  See my comments about helpers above.

Fair comment. However this doesn't impact performance on my Mac at all.

Waccoon wrote:
- The last time I downloaded QuickTime, Apple was bundling it with iTunes.  Why the hell do I need iTunes forced on me when I don't have an iPod, or even a portable music player?  Funny how people complained about Mandatory Web Browsers in Windows years ago, but nobody complains when Apple bundles largely unrelated products.

The Apple web site offers Quicktime+iTunes or Quicktime on its own.

Waccoon wrote:
- QuickTime is the only application I know of that will BSOD my Windows machine.  It does a lot of really nasty low-level things to the machine's graphics system.  Apple is quick to blame Microsoft for this, especially given the large problems Apple has had getting QuickTime running on Vista.

Can't comment on this as it has never happened to me in Windows, and QuickTime causes no problems on my Mac.

Waccoon wrote:
- On Windows, QuickTime is not even the slightest bit compliant with Windows GUI programming guidelines.  Simple things like copy/paste, hotkeys, and closing windows don't work properly.

Fair point. But it's nicely integrated with MacOS :-)

Waccoon wrote:
- It's slow as dirt.  Tracking response is faster than Windows Media Player, and it can play videos at different speeds, but that's it.

Yes this is annoying.

Waccoon wrote:
- QuickTime overtakes your machine.  It replaces everything in your web browsers, too, so just clicking on an MP3 file will bring up the QuickTime interface.  Turning everything to defaults in the system takes a long time, and the QuickTime control panel doesn't affect web browser integration at all, forcing you to do it through your web browser's extension manager.  What a pain!

Again, this is not a problem on a Mac. Can't comment on Windows though.

Waccoon wrote:
- Apple makes you pay for the full QuickTime app to enable file saving, even if the media is not protected.  Now that's stupid.

No it's not. Quicktime Pro has loads of extra features and is a great product. Most applications which allow you to convert between different file formats are shareware.

Waccoon wrote:
- Many, many old QuickTime codecs don't work on newer versions of QuickTime.  The solution?  Buy the full version of QuickTime and recode your old .MOV files, of course!  Windows Media Player will still play anything if the proper codec is installed.  Oh yeah, the QuickTime updater won't recognize "obsolete" codecs, and any codecs that are recognized will usually require extra plugins to be installed, and not just the codec itself.  More "bundling", in other words.

I have never had a QuickTime movie which does not play on my Mac, and I have some very old ones.

I don't want to come across as a crackpot Applehead. I have agreed with some of your points. But they are minor annoyances. On the whole I think QuickTime is a great product, and one which I happily paid for.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline wajdy

• Show only replies by wajdy
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 11:10:55 AM »
Vista is definitely the worst technology.

The reason:
MS has been promising a better performance, while Vista kills   any machine with 1GB of memory or less.

Such a sluggish performance...maaaaaaaaaaan!

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »
That'll be my vote for Norton then.  

Since installing it (D'oh!) I've got a much slower system which doesn't like network gaming.  Great at stopping viruses but awful at letting me do anything.
Cecilia for President

Offline motorollin

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 12:03:12 PM »
Norton AntiVirus is supposed to work like that. It uses so much memory and CPU time that there is nothing left for a Virus to operate in :-P

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline pjhutch

• Amiga user and developer
    • Show only replies by pjhutch
    • http://www.pjhutchison.org
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 12:18:15 PM »
I vote for the A570 CDROM addon for the A500 which was released shortly before the A500 was scrapped and the A600 was launched and A570 became obsolete... how dumb is that!!?

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 12:53:07 PM »
I voted norton too.  It came pre-installed on a laptop I bought recently.  Was wondering my my system was so un-responsive.  I then remembered people moaning about norton.  Unistalled it and hey presto a much more responsive system.  went straight back to Free AVG which I have been using for years.  But there again I have not had a virus dectected on my machine for years
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
Norton also gets my vote.  Not only does it cause many headaches for people, but it can be an arse to remove from the system.

EDIT: thought better of it.

Offline sir_inferno

• Show only replies by sir_inferno
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »

Waccoon wrote:

Where to begin?

[words]

http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm

Offline sir_inferno

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 01:37:41 PM »
so many to choose from...

norton, quicktime, real player, msnm, vista (i really don't know why so many people hate win me so much...i've never had significant problems with it [as in, nothing more than i get with anything pre-xp/2000], firefox, microsoft bluetooth stack, etc...

but i'll go with quicktime

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »

DonnyEMU wrote:
check out this Video on a Mac with Safari or Firefox or a PC with Internet Explorer..

http://www.sneath.org/tim/wpf.htm

If after you see this you aren't impressed you are probably just a MS hater or you wish the Amiga could do this right now...

So what's so impressive about that site? That you don't see anything if you don't exactly use one of those OS/browser combinations? I can do that easily...

Offline sir_inferno

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 16, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »

Colani1200 wrote:
[So what's so impressive about that site? That you don't see anything if you don't exactly use one of those OS/browser combinations? I can do that easily...

@silverlight

Seamless, fast installation for users

effort...who wants to install stuff

Consistent experiences between Windows-based and Macintosh computers

that's what "STANDARDS" are for

Stunning vector-based graphics, media, text, animation, and overlays

ah, you mean like svg, flash, etc etc

lol...what poop

ed: to add insult to injury, it doesn't work with opera, and it didn't ask me where it wanted to install...

further ed: it's a resource hog...and watching that video, there's nothing but eye candy...poop that i'll never use, and i'd rather they'd have spent the years of development optimising their nt kernel, rather than mucking around with this kinda crap