Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Viruses  (Read 5348 times)

Description:

Offline Jope

Re: Viruses
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 24, 2003, 02:02:43 PM »
That one took out more then half of my Orginal games at one time!

Why did you have your originals write enabled? :-o

I never did have that many problems with viruses back in the day.. When Saddam was rampant, I had 2.04 so it didn't run on my machine. It was a major annoyance, however - I had many 1.3 owning friends who couldn't care less about the virus, so I had to disinfect each of their disks if I wanted to read the contents.. :-P

Offline chris

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2003, 06:13:28 PM »
Current viruses never seem to do any physical damage.  If they did, maybe people would care more about stopping them (and using something other than Windows/Outlook Express)

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2003, 08:19:00 PM »
I run a thoroughbred Amiga system and a few days ago I received (via YAM) 'undelivered' mail from some form of mailwatcher. Neither were addressed to anyone I recognised and both were said to contain the SoBigf virus in an attachment.

It is therefore clear that SoBig will infect classic Amigas, presumably via its browser/html. I have sent two emails via my browser recently (before the current scare started) and I can only assume that's how it got to me. The worrying thing is, both emails were sent via amiga.org's private mailing system, where I certainly don't have an address book.

I deleted these bounced mails unopened.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,

JaX
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2003, 08:28:21 PM »
JaXanim, there is absolutely no way these kind of virii can infect an Amiga. They aren't binary compatible, they aren't API compatible, and Amiga's don't have the same security holes. SoBig is a worm - it needs to be run as executable code. An Amiga simply cannot do this.

See Norton's security response on the virus, here.

Offline JaXanim

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2003, 08:38:51 PM »
@KennyR

Perhaps 'infect' is the wrong term (I know next to nothing about viruses). Maybe it would have done ME no harm, but the SoBig critter was attached to some spurious bounced mail which the watcher insisted had been sent from my address.

Presumably, anyone actually receiving such spurious mail could become infected? If so, I would see my system as the source of their infection. A sort of healthy 'plague carrier' if you will.

And could a.org act as my vehicle for this?

Cheers,

JaX

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2003, 08:45:20 PM »
Perhaps 'infect' is the wrong term (I know next to nothing about virues). Maybe it would have done ME no harm, but the SoBig critter was attached to some spurious bounced mail which the watcher insisted had been sent from my address.

Presumably, anyone actually receiving such spurious mail could become infected? If so, I would see my system as the source of their infection. A sort of healthy 'plague carrier' if you will.

Sobig and other email viruses typically spoof the sender address. The sender address is picked from database of email addreses, generated from local files like addressbook, www cache and such. Apparently someone who has your email address in his addressbook, or has browsed a website that has your email address embedded has the virus.

Basically this means these emails were NOT sent from your Amiga.

Your Amiga is not infected.

Offline JaXanim

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2003, 08:51:36 PM »
@Piru

Many thanks for your lucid comments. I was becoming reluctant to use my browser to send messages!

Cheers,

JaX

Offline Nightcrawler

• Show only replies by Nightcrawler
    • http://www.amerikanskbulldog.no
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2003, 12:05:45 PM »
Something wonderful... Ahh, the memories... Even the virora (!) were better in the good ol' days!

Actually, I haven't noticed any effects of Sobig at all, and I think that is because of my web-hosting company. I can't remember the last time I received anything unwanted exept for the odd "increase your lala size" junk mail. Before I moved my website and mail account I was more or less flooded with the damn things.

\\"There are still places where people think that the function of the media is to provide information.\\"
 -- Don Rottenberg--

Offline BillseyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Billsey
    • http://billsey.christian.net
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2003, 01:25:02 PM »
More along this line, I have begun receiving emails—from postmasters, no less—accusing me of sending these viruses.

I use a Mac online and don't even own a Windows machine.

These postmasters have been summarily blocked, and these blocks will not be removed because postmasters really should know better.
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
\\"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the

Offline tony23

• Show only replies by tony23
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2003, 01:27:36 PM »
It was probably about ten years back that my Amiga got bit by a virus called the cccp virus, it would infect the boot block of the next unprotected floppy that you put in the drive. It wrecked a couple of floppies before I caught it, since then I always write protect my floppies and always run antivirus software on all of my computers. Ever since then I've been fortunate enough not to pickup any virus's. On my pc I run two firewalls , norton and never open attachments that I wasn't expecting and even if I am expecting an attachment I always scan it just to be sure. Those first couple of floppies that I lost years ago was a cheap price to pay when it comes to learning about the damage these ugly programs can do. Amiga computers are not immune but there are way fewer infections out there when compared with the pc. I guess with the new generation amigas we're gonna need a new antivirus program ?  new machines / new OS's = new holes for attack ?
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2003, 11:44:41 PM »
I just one of those horrible "What if" thoughts...
What if a spammer gets infected with a virus like Sobig?
 His/her database of millions of harvested email addresses would cause all hell to break loose.

BTW, has anyone read about the new DOS/DDOS attacks against spam blacklisters, causing mailservers to bounce legitimate mail because they can`t OK the source`s server against the lists.
Seems a bit odd, a new virus doing the rounds, and a DOS attack at the same time. Maybe that`s the extra payload for Sobig that they haven`t been able to decode yet?
On schedule, and suing

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2003, 12:51:41 AM »

What if a spammer gets infected with a virus like Sobig?

Heh.  Spammers don't use the Windows Address Book :-)

Offline darksun9210

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2003, 12:26:29 PM »
yadda yadda yadda ,
so anyway, does this mean that the coder kiddies who put viruses in amiga boot block loaders are all working on the PC?

yay! :-D

A500 Vampire2/minimegachip/lazarus/indyECS
A600 Vampire2/604n/subway/IndyECS
A1200 PiStorm32+Pi4/subway/IndyAGA
A3k C=040/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Zoram256/acard scsi-ide-CF/IndyECS,
A4k CSMk3-060/CV64-3D/Xsurf100+RRoadUSB/Bigram256/IndyAGA, mediator+pci cards
CD32 TF360/IndyAGA
Plus an SGI O2 & consoles.

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2003, 01:05:26 AM »

mikeymike wrote:
Heh.  Spammers don't use the Windows Address Book :-)

I dunno, some of them can be pretty lame.
I had one mail I was trying to trace back, and the spammer tried adding a few dummy "recieved-from:" lines to cover his tracks.Only problem was he didn't  adjust the timestamps which were set to 3 days after I`d got the mail !
Anyway, it turned out to be from an infected machine inside hp.com !
On schedule, and suing

Offline Minion

• Show only replies by Minion
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2003, 12:07:42 AM »
Well my AV software aint up to date, but the firewall automatically blocka all incoming connections, and allows all outgoing connections.  I have NEVER been infected by a virus, simply because virus mail is so obvious.
And yes, I do intend to update it, but I dont intend to pay norton for the privalege of protecting me from code that ythey have a vested interest in allowing to porpagate.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.