Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New commodore shot film +16  (Read 20305 times)

Description:

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
Re: New commodore shot film +16
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;622549
I've never heard of a suspension requirement in the U.S.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

Unlucky

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 07:29:36 PM »
The guy who originally posted the link knew good and well it was against TOS, especially after the mild flack it got over at amigaworld.net.

I hope dude is just trolling and didn't get fired, it would be a shame if he did. These aren't exactly the best of times for job hunting. Usually you can't collect unemployment benefits if you get fired.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:31:52 PM by koaftder »

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;622554
The guy who originally posted the link knew good and well it was against TOS, especially after the mild flack it got over at amigaworld.net.

Even if he did not know its his responsibility to read the TOS.  I don't see anyone defending it as a post that should be here.  People are defending that he gave plenty of warning that it was not work safe.  Thats two separate issues.

I hope dude is just trolling and didn't get fired, it would be a shame if he did. These aren't exactly the best of times for job hunting. Usually you can't collect unemployment benefits if you get fired.

He is probably just trolling.  And it actually depends on why one was fired.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/unemployment-compensation-benefits-employee-eligibility-29898.html

I would suspect if this is an isolated incident he probably could make a pretty good argument for benefits.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »
Quote from: ffastback;622514
Sure it means something to N. American readers.  It means someone outside the U.S. has posted a warning.  It means one should think of the nearest equivalent in our country (that would be NC-17) and assume it means that until one finds out differently if you are at work.

It is widely known in the United States that Amigas are more popular with Europeans.  Its also widely known in the United States that Europeans are more lax on age requirements to view nudity and sex acts.  An American would write 17+ or 18+ for such material (we'd write a higher age and put the plus symbol after the number, not before). Therefore "+16" is quite clear regardless.

The OP also wrote "be careful".  You are sadly an example of what gives us Americans a bad name abroad, you take no personal responsibility for your own actions.

Okay...first of all, I'm not American.  You American's shouldn't assume that all people that live in N. America are from the US or you'll sadly give youself a bad name abroad.  Secondly, the original poster has edited his message from the way it appeared originally when I saw it.  When it was first posted all it said was something like "New Commodore Shot [sic] film +16".  It did NOT say "be careful" when it was first posted.

"+16" doesn't mean a heck of a lot....I thought maybe he meant it was shot on 16mm film because he mis-spelled "short" to "shot".  A lot of amateur film makers shoot in 16mm film.

Heck, I don't really care about his whole thing...but I'm merely pointing out how confusing the original posters message was with the vague description and the mis-spelling.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:08:05 PM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline ffastback

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2011, 08:11:46 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;622563
Okay...first of all, I'm not American.  You American's shouldn't assume that all people that live in N. America are from the US or you'll sadly give youself a bad name abroad.  Secondly, the original poster has edited his message.  When it was first posted all it said was something like "New Commodore Shot [sic] film +16".

"+16" doesn't mean a heck of a lot....I thought maybe he meant it was shot in 16mm film because he mis-spelled "short" to "shot".  A lot of amateur film makers shoot in 16mm film.

I figured you were not American since you said North America, that normally means its a safe bet its a Canadian writing such.  And I've been to several Canadian provinces and have liked each (Quebec the least though).  I also had a ton of respect for Canada taking flights in to land on 9/11.  So please don't go assuming that I'm someone who does not realize North America means more than one country.  

I switched to refer to the U.S. in the later sentence because the person who claimed to get fired said he is an American and he and I would be familiar with MPAA ratings.

And no it clearly originally said "be careful" in addition to "+16" because it was quoted in post 14 (since removed).

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=622236&postcount=14

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
Anyway, I think both the original poster and the complainant are likely trolling so it doesn't matter too much to me...probably much ado about nothing...
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »
Private companies can make and police their own policies regarding offensive content viewed in the workplace.  If someone is offended by anything it can be reported to
human resources and appropriate action taken..  This is why companies typically
write an employee handbook.

Quote from: ffastback;622549
I've never heard of a suspension requirement in the U.S.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
Thank you!  Oh and I never once stated that I was offended by the video.. I liked in fact.  I just thing the OP should have gone a  bit more with the warning that is all..

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
mmm.. so you think I'm American?  An assumption on your part.

I assume your a proper uptight Brit!

Quote from: nicholas;622536
I see reading comprehension of the English language isn't your strong point.

Just adds more weight to the stereotype of the dumb American.

Offline ffastback

« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;622568
Private companies can make and police their own policies regarding offensive content viewed in the workplace.  If someone is offended by anything it can be reported to
human resources and appropriate action taken..  This is why companies typically
write an employee handbook.

Sure, but that has nothing to do specifically with at-will employment law.  If you think your supervisor broke an internal company rule in firing you directly then by all means take it up with the HR dept. of your former employer.  No one is here wishing you to be out of work.

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
Um not it would get an "R" rating ..shows how much you know.  And give me one example of an NC17 movie or "made for tv" movie that shows this type of content..
And I'm talking a major motion picture not some Euro documentary or artsy flic.

Quote from: ffastback;622539
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NC-17

Why yes it would likely get that rating if it were submitted to MPAA.

True on the government, they might pay you unemployment benefits!  :(

Offline Vlabguy1

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
Good thing I'm not crazy :-).

There was nothing stopping the OP from editing his post and typing in "nude content"..

Quote from: ffastback;622540
@Vlabguy1

People are still waiting to hear why you keep a lawyer on retainer and why you can not understand the additional warning given of "be careful" beyond the European formated (+16) warning.  You insist those two warnings are not enough to avoid suing someone.  Does it not register with you at all at how crazy that sounds??

Offline ffastback

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;622572
mmm.. so you think I'm American?  An assumption on your part.

I assume your a proper uptight Brit!

Nicholas and everyone else saw you say you live in the states.  You said it was the reason "+16" meant nothing to you.  If you are a foreigner living in the states you have even less of a leg to stand on with your argument.

Offline ffastback

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;622574
Um not it would get an "R" rating ..shows how much you know.  And give me one example of an NC17 movie or "made for tv" movie that shows this type of content..
And I'm talking a major motion picture not some Euro documentary or artsy flic.

What part of the word "likely" do you not understand?  Sure if it did not get an NC-17 it would get an R.  Neither impacts it being obvious that "+16...be careful" is not safe for work.  Basic Instinct was rated R and that would not be safe for work either.

Plenty of NC-17 movies show sexual content (you pointed out breast fondling for instance).

No "made for tv" movie would show such in the U.S.  

Again the simple point is "+16...be careful" is a clear concise not safe for work warning.  Let us know how your lawsuit against Amiga.org and the poster turns out.  lol

Offline ffastback

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;622575

There was nothing stopping the OP from editing his post and typing in "nude content"..

There was nothing requiring he do it either.  He was required not to post such at all, but thats between him and the A.org mods as a TOS issue.

Between him and you first off he owes you nothing.  You were clicking links from people you don't know at work.  Moving on to the question of simple courtesy he was fine though, he had you covered with "+16....be careful".  The fault here lies with you either being too dense to get the obvious, OR you got the obvious but did not expect to get walked in on in the act and now you are trying to transfer blame from the rightful owner (you) to the OP.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #74 from previous page: March 17, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
Your giving me way too much credit.
Grrrrrrrr. Stop raping the English language. "Your" is a possessive. If you mean to write "You are" and want to use a contraction, then write "You're".
You American's shouldn't assume that all people that live in N. America are from the US or you'll sadly give youself a bad name abroad.
Why is there an apostrophe after "American"?
[/rant]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:16:22 PM by odin »